SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Data entry Offline in php

    hi senior
    I want to develop an application (probably client app) in php which stores data in offline and submit data to server later on when internet access is available.
    This application is supposed to be run in remote part where internet access is rarely available so data are to be stored offline... when internet connection is available these offline data are to be submitted into the server.....

    Waiting for reply as soon as possible

  2. #2
    Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    cpradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,122
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is primarily a server side language so internet connection or a running local server would be required. Granted there have been a few projects that have tried to bring PHP to a desktop application (like gtk-php), none of them have really stuck around and may have very limited support.

    You would be better off writing your client app using a different language, Python, QT, .NET Framework, etc.

    Without knowing what your client is (a laptop, desktop, mobile phone), it is hard for me to recommend what path to take.

  3. #3
    Always A Novice bronze trophy
    K. Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,181
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpradio View Post
    PHP is primarily a server side language so internet connection or a running local server would be required. Granted there have been a few projects that have tried to bring PHP to a desktop application (like gtk-php), none of them have really stuck around and may have very limited support.

    You would be better off writing your client app using a different language, Python, QT, .NET Framework, etc.

    Without knowing what your client is (a laptop, desktop, mobile phone), it is hard for me to recommend what path to take.
    I don't see any reason why a local intranet site couldn't be be done in PHP along with a local copy of MySQL or similar. Then create a simple update / append query to send off to the remote server. With PHP 5.4 you wouldn't even need Apache or IIS since it has a simple web server built in. I'd create a simple batch script to 1) launch an instance of PHPs web listener 2) attempt or ask you if you want to attempt an SQL update to remote server and then 3) launch http://localhost

  4. #4
    Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    cpradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,122
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Wolfe View Post
    I don't see any reason why a local intranet site couldn't be be done in PHP along with a local copy of MySQL or similar. Then create a simple update / append query to send off to the remote server. With PHP 5.4 you wouldn't even need Apache or IIS since it has a simple web server built in. I'd create a simple batch script to 1) launch an instance of PHPs web listener 2) attempt or ask you if you want to attempt an SQL update to remote server and then 3) launch http://localhost
    Too many assumptions there. If you are building for mobile phones, that is entirely out of the question, if you are building for other handheld devices, it again, may be out of the question. I'd never use PHP as a client in a scenario like that, as it was never intended to be used that way. There are other languages/options that are far better suited.

  5. #5
    Always A Novice bronze trophy
    K. Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,181
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpradio View Post
    Too many assumptions there. If you are building for mobile phones, that is entirely out of the question, if you are building for other handheld devices, it again, may be out of the question. I'd never use PHP as a client in a scenario like that, as it was never intended to be used that way. There are other languages/options that are far better suited.
    I didn't see anything about mobile devices, but a properly coded site should work fine on mobile. I totally agree that there are better suited languages for the job, but in a pinch, or as a start with something familiar, it should work.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •