SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting an email service

I'd like to start an email service on one of my domains. Does anyone know if that can be done on a domain that is HOSTED by directnic?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me rephrase the question:

I want to startup an email service on one of my domains. If anyone has this on a directnic-HOSTED domain, knows someone who has, or knows if it can or cannot be done - I would appreciate your help. Directnic has told me it can't be done but I may have misunderstood them or asked the wrong questions.

So if you have this knowledge, please please let me know. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the reason they told you it wouldn't be possible? And how are you going to offer this email service, though an outsourced email provider, etc.?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually most domain registrars provide hosting or email services for an additional charge, on there website DirectNic.com, they do provide email services at a rate of $10/year but I am not sure that is what you are looking for.. What exactly did you ask them previously about the email services?

Regards,
    -Nirav

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicken and PulseHost,

I want to use the services of entergroup.com, netmongol.com, or oemmail.com and offer web-based email on at least one of my domains.

Directnic has told me: 1) the only way I can change the MX record of a domain hosted by them is to buy their directDNS service and 2) they cannot provide hosting for a domain that uses directDNS because doing so creates a DNS loop on their system, meaning that my site would not resolve.

I don't get it.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they can't resolve issue number 2 easily then they need to re-think their DNS as they obviously don't have it configured in a very good way.

I'd host your domain elsewhere, with a good host who knows what they are doing and will change the MX records for you.

Thank you,
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhh brother, no wonder you're confused and don't get it. There are only a few reasons why DirectNic is incapable of providing this for you:

1) Their systems are so automated that they either can't or don't know how to set up DNS manually.

2) Their systems are not automated and they either can't or don't know how to set up DNS manually.

Just so you know, just about any host who knows what they are doing (and why would you even consider teh few that don't) can accomplish what you need, without you needing to switch registrars. You could also easily set this up yourself (if you're the, "I want to control my own DNS type), via a free service such as http://mydomain.com (you'd have to use their free advanced DNS services, not the basic one).

If you don't know what you're doing with DNS, you can either research it and ask, or just let a host provide you with the service (this is their forte after all). You would simply go to DirectNic and enter your host's nameservers and instruct your host as to what email settings you need (depending on which email provider you choose).

If you think you're going a bit nuts because of this, rest assured it is DirectNic not you with the problem.
    Chicken

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Karl and Chicken.

A few days ago directnic sent all their members a survey regarding their email services to gather info/opinions, so hopefully they'll be addressing this issue.

I've used mydomains.com in the past, I might use them now to help me set up one of the email services I mentioned previously. I could host the domain with them, redirect it to one of my other domains/sites that is hosted by directnic, and change the MX records to the proper settings. Probably not the proper way of doing things but still doable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing improper about doing it that way. The only other thing you'd do besides that is actually direct the domain to a server that has your domain set up on it. Mail would go elsewhere (where you set up).

Good luck!
    Last edited by Chicken; Jan 29, 2003 at 13:04.
    Chicken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you move your domains to mydomain.com, so you have full control over your dns. If you still need help, let me know i'll be happy to get you going.

Matt