User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the best way to use goto.com?

I am interested in using it but it seems that some hosts pay like 1.10 for every hit. That seems quite high. What do you guys think?
    Visit http://www.mybizhosting.com for e-commerce sites that need serious hosting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure cause i'm not in the hosting biz... but i do have a account on goto.com and i am bidding for all the low volume relevant terms which have no bids on them at $0.01 each - only getting 5 - 10 visitors/day and at this rate my account balance would take 6 yrs to deplete

i get 6 times more visitors/day from linkexchange

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having worked for a couple of hosting-related sites (directories of hosts), I can tell you that goto.com is an invaluable resource. It sends close to 100 people a day to one of our sites, and we don't pay more than 0.11 on ANY keyword.

While being tops in most hosting-related categories will do wonders for your traffic, you don't need to be number one to get some decent traffic.. and be creative with your keywords.

Adam
    --
    adam_eisner@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, GoTo is one of my top traffic sources, and I never pay more than a penny. Adam's obviously hit on the same thing I did: get creative with your keywords.

For example, my site is about website promotion, but I'm not interested in bidding $4.86 a click to get top position for those keywords. Instead, I've got a penny bid on "website promotion" and a couple hundred other keyword combinations. Basically, every possible keyword string I could come up with, I bid a penny on.

GoTo makes this easy, you can download their bidding spreadsheet for Microsoft Excel, and fill in all your bids that way. I can easily end up with as many as 50 hits a day from GoTo, for a penny apiece.

It's actually kind of perverse the way bidding works on GoTo: the more generic the term, the higher the bid. If you're targeting a niche market, you should be able to get away with paying a penny a click. And those targeted visitors are worth more to you than the ones you'd pay top dollar for.

Go figure. ;-)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rtfmnews,

I checked out your site in your sig. You should really center your pages instead of having them on the left margin or at least have a little space in between the margin.

Nice site!
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com