Thread: EZ Publish 3

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EZ Publish 3

Hey,

Has anybody really messed around with EZ Publish 3? What are your impressions of it? How does it compare to EZ Publish 2? Faster? Easier to user?

Also, are any of you using it on a live site yet? I'm considering using the Release Candidate on my site, but I haven't really messed around with it much yet.
    Ohai!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down ez publish 2 (still)

ez publish 2 is still the most stable... ezpublish3 I test it and it looks great but theres still some bugs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bugs have you found?
    Ohai!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EzPublish3 seems to incorporate full featured Framework.Alternative to PHPLIBs & PEAR.

Does anyone use their framework ?

Currently I use PHPLIBs & Smarty...so far so good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed ezPublish 3 and am currently messing around with the CMS part of it.

When I picked English (american) as the language it was all pig latin... or giberish... or whatever it's called.

How insulting
    Ohai!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how the online admin demo at ez.no never EVER works with the username/password details they give you.
    THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW ARE OLD AND MAY BE INACCURATE.
    THIS INSTALL METHOD IS NOT RECOMMENDED, IT MAY RUN
    OVER YOUR DOG. <-- MediaWiki installation guide

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

install successful? with some differences

Running on a shared LAMP hosting environment.

In my never ending quest to find a more efficient way to handle a database driven site, I've been reading a good bit about OOP and specifically about ezPublish from Harry Fuecks article on Sitepoint at http://www.webmasterbase.com/printTemplate.php?aid=917

I downloaded the 3.0 beta release version 4 -- ezPublish-2.9-6.zip Thanks to help from Melissa, I moved the zip file to my /big/dom/xcoastaloutdoors/www folder and used Telnet to unzip the file.

Tried following Harry's instructions but didn't quite get me there.

Tried these instructions but didn't accomplish the goal.

Begin Instructions

In step 7 of the Windows installation above, we used a DOS batch file to create the cache directories. The Linux equivalent is the file called modfix.sh, which you can run by changing the [eZ publish_root] on your server and typing:

./modfix.sh

Note this file also sets up security permissions on the cache directories which are not entirely secure (although the risk is low). And alternative secure_modfix.sh exists, but you'll probably run into trouble if you use this in a typical shared Linux environment.

To make use of Image Magick, the convert binary needs to be installed on the Web server. Time to beg your Web host for a favour (it's not hard for them to install), and get them to tell you where they put it.

End Instructions

So, this is what I did -- used CuteFTP to chmod the files below:

chmod settings 777
    chmod var 777
    chmod var/storage 777
    chmod var/cache 777
    chmod var/log 777
    chmod var/cache/texttoimage 777
    chmod var/cache/ini 777
    chmod var/cache/template 777
    chmod var/cache/template/tree 777
    chmod var/cache/template/process 777

I got to the "create database" stage, "check to install demo data" but only got a blank page.

Looked for the sql file --- found in /kernel/mysql/ downloaded both demokernel.sql and kernel_clean.sql, Decided to use the demokernel.sql file. Used phpmyadmin to upload the sql a few hundred lines at the time since there are in excess of 10,000 lines in the demokernel.sql and phpmyadmin times out at 30 seconds on my server.

Anyway once that was completed, backed up, refreshed, and selected "Continue and skip database initialization."

Got as far as the "send registration" and am sending these comments -- an apparently successful install I hope.

I was able to login to the admin site. That's all I'm going to do tonight -- need to get at least a couple hours of sleep. The speed appears to be pretty good. If anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted on my progress. Haven't gotten around to the Image Magick part yet.

One question, should I be able to see anything beyond the admin site at this point?
    Coastal Outdoors
    Fishing, boating, outdoor fun on the coast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got the demo site to work normally, but it was hell.

Now, I want to design my own templates... problem is that they hardly give you enough documentation. Hopefully this will be different when they actually release the product... but it is already in the Release Candidate stage... so it should be soon.
    Ohai!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... hopefully the release of EZ Publish 3 won't be too different from the Release Candidate. I'm struggling to learn it enough to publish my site (not publicly) so that right when the release comes out, I can release my site.
    Ohai!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few comments in the forums on developer.ez.no in the Developer forums. Also, I've read some in the 3.0 Manual and I think in the SDK.

I may have some time to work on it this morning.
    Coastal Outdoors
    Fishing, boating, outdoor fun on the coast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anybody messed around enough w/ ezpublish 3 to figure out how to do this?

From my post on the ez publish forum... I have the feeling I won't get an answer right away, if ever

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could explain to me how to add a tree like menu to my main template. I kind of get how to just fetch the list of folders and then make a menu out of that, however, I don't quite understand how to make a tree like menu... what I mean by tree-like is the following:

This is the basic structure of my documents

Root Folder
    |_ Folder 1
    | - Folder 1.1
    | - Folder 1.2
    |_ Folder 2
    | - Folder 2.1
    | - Folder 2.2
    |_ Folder 3
    etc....

Well, when the user is at the home page (Root Folder), I would the menu just to consist of a list of the main folders (Folder 1, 2, 3, etc...)

However, when the user is at Folder 1, I would like the menu to consist of a list of the main folders, and a list of the sub folders added under the main folder Ie something like

Root Folder
    Folder 1
    * Folder 1.1
    * Folder 1.2
    Folder 2
    Folder 3
    etc...

How could I add something like that to the main template?
    Ohai!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *bump*
    Ohai!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ez publish 2 (still)

Originally posted by accelz
    ez publish 2 is still the most stable... ezpublish3 I test it and it looks great but theres still some bugs...
    I successfully installed ez publish 3, but when I run http://localhost/index.php/admin it requests for the username and password, when I use
    username:admin
    passwordublish
    I get incorrect login name or password
    Any help would be appreciated
    irevjoe

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irevjoe
    I successfully installed ez publish 3, but when I run http://localhost/index.php/admin it requests for the username and password, when I use
    username:admin
    passwordublish
    I get incorrect login name or password
    Any help would be appreciated
    irevjoe
    I install release 2 and the above problem was sorted. does anyone have a good tutorial on how to configure or customise ez publish 3 after you get it up and running ?
    irevjoe

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now the best documentation you'll find is at http://sdk.ez.no/sdk/tutorials/view/main_concepts

Personally I'm not spending much time on eZ publish yet until it hits a full release - what eZ systems call a release candidate is not exactly what I'd call a release candidate: complete features are missing right now.

All I can recommend is be patient: only spend time on version 3 right is a learning experience.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryF
    Right now the best documentation you'll find is at http://sdk.ez.no/sdk/tutorials/view/main_concepts

Personally I'm not spending much time on eZ publish yet until it hits a full release - what eZ systems call a release candidate is not exactly what I'd call a release candidate: complete features are missing right now.

All I can recommend is be patient: only spend time on version 3 right is a learning experience.
    Do you know if eZpublish3 is significantly improved in terms of performance? I'm running 2.7 for my site and it really beats the hell out of my webserver, and that's with almost everything (like eZUser) disabled.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eZ publish 3.0 Released

It's out now! http://developer.ez.no/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried eZp3 on my local machine and it kept timing out. I went to the help forum on their site and it said to extend the time in php.ini

tried that but the eZp3 config still times out

Any clues?
    <abbey />
    HTML/XHTML/CSS coding
    Abbey Ink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abbey
    I tried eZp3 on my local machine and it kept timing out. I went to the help forum on their site and it said to extend the time in php.ini

tried that but the eZp3 config still times out

Any clues?

if u using UTF8 then for the 1st time will be slow as hell until catch the cash, but there are fix for this on ez.no !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone get the stable release working on virtual hosting without SSH? If yes, care to share your experiences?
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup i got it working on both virual and non virtual host