SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to approach duplicated threads

I don't mean someone starting the same thread in different areas of your forum, I mean posting it in different forums (different sites).

There are similar, competing sites of the type I'm creating, and it is typical to see someone who is a member at both sites post the same thread at both sites (usually copy and paste!).

I'm not sure what my policy should be on this for us. Should we:

1) Tell them to post it at one site and not the rest,

2) Ask that they post at our site first,

3) Not say anything, and make sure we provide the best, in-depth answers quickly.

Though I may prefer giving someone the what-for, it seems the last alternative would be the one most likely to result in a positive experience, therefore making it more likely for them to visit us first in the future, and maybe exclusively.

Your thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admit to having been guilty of doing this...

But this is especially if there are different people on different forums, and I can get some different views.

However, I for one wouldn't like it very much if the forum admin "demanded" that I use their board primarily...

I would give all the help or views I could for the question, and make it worthwhile continue posting on the forum...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3 Definitely

I have to agree with X Q mano. SitePoint is a great resource too me. However, sometimes my post get no useful responses, so I will repost in a more targeted board. Usually SEO questions get repeated at WebmasterWorld.com

Jamie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, definitely #3... I agree with XQ mano (and you for that matter).

None of the admin's business what users do elsewhere. If you find out that they are selling pandas out of their basement, you might call the police, but otherwise...
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?