SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderation Rules - how do you react to bad posts?

Hi,
    do you have fix moderation rules? e.g when to delete a post/thread or when to close it?
    I think i have to set some rules now because we are getting more and more moderators and not all of them react in the same way. I read the SP-Articles about moderators, but did not find stuff about rules how to moderate.

Thank you
    Tom

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Posting Guidelines and Moderator guidelines. I am not too specific on scenarios. Moderators get a feel overtime, as far as I am concerned. If a thread is getting off topic (way), you split the off topic stuff to its own topic (if it warrents it) or close the topic.

If a topic is getting out of hand (overly heated and repetitive), then you can close it to cool it down/end it.

I don't allow my moderators on any site to delete threads. Instead, they move them (or split them) off into a private forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's up to your discretion. However, generally, if the first post of a thread breaches your guidelines, then close and/or remove the thread. If it is just an individual post in a thread that breaks rules, edit out the inappropriate portions or remove the post altogether. I think it is smart to have a "purgatory"-type forum to save all deleted material so deleted items can be stored and reviewed later. It makes it useful to be able to read old posts and refer back to them if needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for your advice - how you describe it it is actually the way i did it all the time. I think i need to sit down now and put all those "rules" together - so all my moderators know what I think is "common sense".
    Tom

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is to have a private forum just for the moderators and administrators and post a "sticky note" at the top of that forum with your thoughts on what goes and what doesn't. The more you give them to go by the better they can do their duty.

Let them join in on the discussion so you can get their thoughts as well.

Palmer