SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to do with former moderators?

Hi,
    I am running a community, which is now older than 2 years. Some of the moderators that started this community together with me don't have the neccessary time left to spend in the forums - so my question is - what do you with retiring moderators? just set them back as normal users or do you have a special usergroup "seniors" e.g. to seperate them from regular users?
    Thank you
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Site Point Forums simply change the user back to a normal user if the individual decides to leave, I know a few people are here that used to be mentors but decided to leave due to time etc, they are just normal members now.

I have seen some forums that have a special 'respected member' group for people like these - so its up to you I guess...

Have fun...
    ZOO
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you, I'd give them a special title...

Tells your former mods that they're special even though they're not of use for you anymore... And I think it's a nice gesture...

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do what you want. On my sites, if someone has contributed a ton, I give them a special title "VIP" allowing them access to the first level staff forum. This is for people who, as I did, have done a lot and people who I want to continue to hear from on issues relating to the site.

In your case (inactive moderators), you have to handle it with care. If I notice someone who is overly inactive, I sent them a PM to see how they are doing. If time goes by... I send them another PM explaining that I am removing them from staff because they seem to be busy and it doesn't seem to be working out. But, I appreciate the time and contributions that they have put into the site. However, if it is a long time user, I try to give them more chances and I am even more sensitive in handling them.