SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apple Safari browser - Any problems?

If you are a OS X user can you report any display problems with Apple's new safari browser

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/48 (like Gecko) Safari/48

thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a couple so far... Not from me, I won't get a chance to test it until later this week (when I have access to a mac at work) I have been keedping up with this and so far at least one good review is in with testing done.

Dive into Mark has a good round up.
    I owe you one witty remark - Wax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major Problems With SafariPosted by pudge on Thursday January 09, @04:37PM

kuwan writes "There have been many problems reported with Safari on Apple’s discussion boards. The two most prominent are that option-clicking on a link to download can replace your Home folder with the downloaded file, effectively nuking your Home folder. The other has been reported as a printing problem, but is far worse. The printing problem occurs because Safari deletes /tmp, which is a link to /private/tmp."
    taken from Slashdot

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code[female dog] was very quick to get her Guide to CSS2 Support in Mac-only Browsers up to speed. And Mark Pilgrim's list (as mentioned above by battlewax) is useful, too.

[edit: link fixed, thanks samsm]
    Last edited by blufive; Jan 11, 2003 at 03:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    blufive, One of your links has an extra http:// Correct link follows:
    http://www.macedition.com/cb/resourc...sssupport.html

Interesting about the printing problems and disappearing Home folders... I have done just about everything with Safari and no problems. Still, seems lots of people are reporting this stuff.

I've seen a few CSS layer position problems... and a few table gap issues. Overall, page rendering seems similar to Explorer for Mac.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At some point yesterday, apple released another version of Safari. "Safari Update 1.0 Beta (v51) 1-10-03
    This Safari Update is recommended for all Safari users."

Good recommendation

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know why they're using such strange version numbers? It seems a bit odd to me to release a browser reporting itself as version 48, and now the newest version is apparently version 51!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current version is actually Safari 1.0v51
    I'm assuming those are internal version numbers, they probably increment once a day or so as one thing or another gets fixed.

It is kind of funny to broadcast those numbers but I suppose it does give you a good bit of precession when diagnosing what browser is being used.

I'd wait before putting any effort into a Safari style sheet. For one thing it is still in beta but more importantly, there is actually a feature built into Safari that allows you to report websites to Apple that do not appear correctly on Safari. With one click you can send the link, a description of the problem, a screenshot and the source. The premise behind this is that Apple is going to do some tinkering before final release and make changes to allow some of those sites to work properly. Anyway, with that in mind, hopefully many appearance issues will be resolved in the future.