SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds pretty cool, if I had the option I would give it a try.

Addiction? I think I'm already addicted.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Drunk kids can DEFINETLY cause a problem...wander into traffic, bump into things. It won't happen often, but a drunk kid can definetly cause trouble.

BTW: people can drive at 16...IE: drunk driving possible at that age...otherwise it would be 21. Drunk driving is ALREADY one of the highest causes of death amonst young people.
    In Belgium you can only drive at the age of 18. The max of alcohol you may drink is not much.

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's good!

Yeah, homeschool is nice. Without homeschool, I likely would not be online and involved with the net...and not on SitePoint! <shudder>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jumpthru - there are similar driving laws in Minnesota, which makes people under 21 (I think - either that or under-18) get a temporary drivers licence. You take drivers ed and all that fun stuff, then at your 16th birthday you can get an under-21 licence which is easy for cops and people to take away. So if you ever get caught using drugs or alcohol or anything like that they can take the licence away. I like that system. (lol...although I can still get my licence in 6 months though...)

I agree with aspen (on the first page...) about smoking - that the age should be increased. It's a terrible problem, I don't know why anyone would really want to start. But now they have the youth-anti-smoking campagnes in the US (thetruth.com runs commercials, and some states also have they're own campagnes (minnesota - tmvoice.com)). I also think that Marijuana should be legalized - but I think there are negatives to legalizing marijuana too.

Note about drunk driving & stuff: Studies have shown that driving while your tired is JUST AS BAD as driving drunk. Dateline did a thing about it a couple of months ago. Than if you factor in those with cell phones, laptops, PDAs and all the other technology in they're cars - you'll figure out that drunk driving is not the only problem. (*I did NOT say that drunk driving was not a problem.)

Okay - I think that's all I have to say. Please excuse any of my spelling errors, and my lazyness to correct them. Now, I'll not check SP for 4 more days, come back and have 3 more pages of posts to read thru. I guess it's a good thing how many visitors you guys get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically, you spelled "laziness" wrong I believe.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, do you live in the SitePoint forums? You seem to respond almost immediately to each post

Johannes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly. I'm just saving up for a ticket to Australia.

I get email reminders on a lot of the posts you see me post in...that's why I can usually reply to replies quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jbb
    Chris, do you live in the SitePoint forums? You seem to respond almost immediately to each post

Johannes
    LOL! I think a lot of us could claim we live in these forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 15 and the legal drinking age in Denmark is 15!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture this. A drunk 16 year old, driving a car, with a beer in one hand and a gun by his side. Now think about that for a minute..............
    And you want to make that legal? Enough said.
    Sesran Site Solutions - Web Site Hosting & Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, enough said. But who said it would be legal to drink and drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't have to be legal for it to happen.

All the party animals out there can live another few years without a keg - it'll save a few lives anyway.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture this ... a drunk 32 year old, driving a car, with a gun by his side. Is it really any worse than a 16 year old doing the same thing? although the 32 year old may have more experience, it A) doesn't mean he's any better, and B) when you're drunk, your drunk - you still shouldn't be driving - or carrying a gun.

I have a feeling that many of the drunks on the road aren't teenagers. Although it is a problem - I think that drunk drivers are usally people that it's legal to drink, they go out for a beer or two after work and end up drunk to some extent or another, and drive home. It only takes one drink to impair your driving. The US just thinks that you are still okay until your BA level is .1 .

[Edited by JRS385 on 09-18-2000 at 10:41 AM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the legal BAC (blood alcohol content) for your areas? In Victoria, it's 0.05, one of the lower ones, and goes up to (I think) .1 for our Northern Teritory friends who have nothing to do all day but sit in the sun, and flies, and drink beer. Come to think of it, most of the roads in NT don't even have speed limits...

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The US just thinks that you are still okay until your BA level is .1
    Maybe in some parts of the US it is that high. In California it used to be .085% and they just recently lowered it to .05%.

If your under the age of 21 and alcohol even registers in your blood system, and your not under prescription medication that contains alcohol, then you are legally drunk. For teens caught under the influence, they immediate lose their license if old enough, if not old enough they can't receive it until their 18. Teens will also face penalties under current DUI laws which can include imprisonment. After working in the Juvenile Detention System in Los Angeles County for 5 years and watching my father work in Juvenile Detention Facilities all my life, I can say these are not nice places. Also in California, state law requires that parents pay for your incarceration and for any damages caused by your negligence. In Los Angeles county the monthly bill comes to approximately $1500.

Also in California your driver's license is provisional until you are 18. You parents sign for it and they can remove your driver privileges and have the state revoke your license for any reason until your 18.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    The US just thinks that you are still okay until your BA level is .1
    Maybe in some parts of the US it is that high. In California it used to be .085% and they just recently lowered it to .05%.

If your under the age of 21 and alcohol even registers in your blood system, and your not under prescription medication that contains alcohol, then you are legally drunk. For teens caught under the influence, they immediate lose their license if old enough, if not old enough they can't receive it until their 18. Teens will also face penalties under current DUI laws which can include imprisonment. After working in the Juvenile Detention System in Los Angeles County for 5 years and watching my father work in Juvenile Detention Facilities all my life, I can say these are not nice places. Also in California, state law requires that parents pay for your incarceration and for any damages caused by your negligence. In Los Angeles county the monthly bill comes to approximately $1500.

Also in California your driver's license is provisional until you are 18. You parents sign for it and they can remove your driver privileges and have the state revoke your license for any reason until your 18.
    Now that would suck. Whats incarceration mean though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JRS385
    Picture this ... a drunk 32 year old, driving a car, with a gun by his side. Is it really any worse than a 16 year old doing the same thing? although the 32 year old may have more experience, it A) doesn't mean he's any better, and B) when you're drunk, your drunk - you still shouldn't be driving - or carrying a gun.

Very good point.

I think that drunk drivers are usally people that it's legal to drink
    It is never legal for a drunk driver to drive no matter what age. (Yes I know you said "legal to drink" but i just realised that and i think its a good point cause people think if you are older and drunk driving its ok")

Teen stereotypes. But not saying teens dont do it.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    Now that would suck. Whats incarceration mean though.
    Locked-up, Thrown in the Slammer, Jail Bird, Chain Gang (not really but there are work crews).
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay but how come you paretns have to pay for your incarceration? And what do you mean by monthly bill. Or were you joking or something and i am incredibly dense. ah stupid me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    i am incredibly dense. ah stupid me.
    lol...just remember...you aren't dumb, you're just uninformed.

Speaking of being uniformed; what do you mean by monthly bill ... is it the bill of the damages or what?

[Edited by JRS385 on 09-19-2000 at 08:04 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay, someone else that doesn't get what he said.