SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please compare and contrast the differences between Frontpage Express and Frontpage full version. Should I get the full version? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Randy

toxic
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I recommend that you buy the full version There are MANY differences between Express and 2000. The best new things are how much more flexable you can make your sites. Easier to work with frames if you want to use that.

There are too many good things to list compared to Express.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add that frontpage 2000 has many pros and cons. some sites dont offer support for frontpage 2k, but on the sites that do , the advantages are many. Basiccaly, autoforms, nav bars, title bars, uniform looks on the pages. The only cons that i have found are the relativly slow loading times while editing, and the support for the program. Only selected servers support it.

[Edited by zoeb on 09-15-2000 at 02:26 PM]
    Zoeb Abdulla

toxic
    I have never used Frontpage extensions and I still regard FP 2000 at the best WYSIWYG editor around. All though Name Webeditor is good as well.

And as Zoeb mention there are a few cons as well.

Let me know if you want more info about FP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess would be FrontPage Express is a really watered-down version of Frontpage.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me think... Frontpage Express is a piece of useless junk. Frontpage 2000 is far, far better. It is basically the difference between Notepad and MS Word. And that's a pretty big difference.

David | http://www.web-master.tv
    The site for webmasters is here.

toxic
    That's a good example

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many many hosting firms offer FrontPage extensions. But I would recommend you to use CGI, PHP or ASP.

FrontPage Express is a trimmed down version of Frontpage 98 which wasn't that good. FrontPage is a nice free program to make your first page with. Although it seriously lacks on features if you get more advanced.

I'd recommend you to switch to FP2000 if you feel FrontPage Express is limiting you in some way or that there is something that you miss in FP Express. The thing you will miss when you get more advanced is a HTML editor in FP Express. FP 2000 has a better HTML editor built in.

Of course it is difficult to compare both programs. FrontPage Express doesn't have support for Webs I think, and Webs are one of the most powerful website management tools. Secondly there is the difference between FP2000 and FP98.

Like I said, it's a choice you have to make. If you have the money directly go buy FP2000. If not you should make sure FP express isn't limiting you to do stuff than you should start saving for FP2000

Hope this helped!

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FrontPage Express was based off of FP 98, there really isn't anything "special" about Express. With 2000 they took the FrontPage Explorer and Editor and put them together instead of opening two different programs. With Express you aren't able to Preview(crappy preview, but still a preview) your work, or look at the HTML. This is always a little thing that is good to have just in case. With 2000, DHTML is available, Express, basic editor. Spend the money for 2000 it is well worth it. It is a real easy program to learn. One suggestion though. If you have a college close by could be community or university either one. You might check at the school's bookstore. They might be able to get it for you at a fairly cheaper price then $130 or however much it is.

speedracer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...in reply to the post by 'spdrcr' yes, you can do what he said about the universities but unless you are a 'legal academic user' you could get into some legal trouble if it was found out that you were using the version they would get you...at least for Microsoft Software (as well as Macromedia) they have a version called the 'Academic Version' that does not knock off a lot of the price (many hundreds of dollars at times) but it is illegal to use if you are not a student (high school or college), or educator (teacher).