SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback wanted on my travel website

I'm looking for feedback on my travel website, which gives information about the holiday town of Nerja in Spain.

The website is http://mynerja.com/.

Specifically what I want to do is change the layout of the home page. At the moment the top of the page is largely static, with a "welcome to Nerja" message and a large image that changes every few days.

Now I like the way the page is setup like this, as I think it gives a good introduction to what the site is about, however, it does mean the regular visitors to the site (including google) have to scroll down the page to see the latest news story, weather, picture etc.

So here are my current thoughts:

1) Move the news story to the top of the page, by swapping it with the Welcome To Nerja post. The news post is updated daily.

or

2) Leave the Welcome to Nerja post at the top, but maybe make it shorter (a couple of lines) with a "read more" button, with the news or the photo post directly underneath. The photo post is updated every few days.

or

3) Move the photo post to the top and have some sort of scroller, so that visitors scan scroll through previous photos.

or

Any other suggestions, thoughts, comments please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have reviewed your website which you mentioned above, It is looking good and you have nice layouts on it. NERJA INFORMATION area isn't happening i think you should use small letters there instead of large one, just my opinion, Good Luck !!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I think your site from the header down looks good. It has information, nice layout of the pictures and text, and the colors seem to fit nice. The one thing I do have to say is that your header is much cluttered. You have your search directly under your logo, twitter follow and google+ have a white background, making it transparent to pick up on the header background will give it a nicer look. There also looks to be some broken images on the left side there. Overall this is a great website; I’m starting to feel like my website isn’t adequate enough. I’m a beginner so I hope that you will be able to review my site when I can post it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a look.
    The header is way to busy and stylistically it clashes with the rest of the site.
    That scrolling weather ticket that is right in the middle is very distracting and annoying.
    Also the black background is another element that does not matches the look of the site. All that black counters the idea of a sunny happy destination and is a bit suffocating.
    If it was the same color as the main body of the site it would add to giving it a sense of more space.
    I would think that perhaps less clutter, giving more space might be a good thing.

Also it is probablly just me but I'd place
    " Welcome to MyNerja.com
    Welcome to MyNerja.com, your best guide to Nerja, the unspoilt jewel of the Costa Del Sol. MyNerja.com can show you where to stay and what to do during your visit to Nerja, whether you are coming for a short break, a week or two’s holiday or are fortunate enough to be coming to live here."

below the image.
    The size and location of the image would indicate that it is supposed to grab the user's attention. But the text is distracting.
    Otherwise a lot of work and a nice site!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great, Layout is excellent..........

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxSherpa View Post
    Took a look.
    The header is way to busy and stylistically it clashes with the rest of the site.
    That scrolling weather ticket that is right in the middle is very distracting and annoying.
    Also the black background is another element that does not matches the look of the site. All that black counters the idea of a sunny happy destination and is a bit suffocating.
    If it was the same color as the main body of the site it would add to giving it a sense of more space.
    I would think that perhaps less clutter, giving more space might be a good thing.

Also it is probablly just me but I'd place
    " Welcome to MyNerja.com
    Welcome to MyNerja.com, your best guide to Nerja, the unspoilt jewel of the Costa Del Sol. MyNerja.com can show you where to stay and what to do during your visit to Nerja, whether you are coming for a short break, a week or two’s holiday or are fortunate enough to be coming to live here."

below the image.
    The size and location of the image would indicate that it is supposed to grab the user's attention. But the text is distracting.
    Otherwise a lot of work and a nice site!
    Thanks for the comments. Interesting that you didn't like the scrolling ticker. Does anyone else think the same?

Good point about the black background - it is on my list of things to do, but to be honest I had forgotten about it. I am thinking of adding maybe a picture of a beach or landscape as a background, this would make the sidebars nice sea/sky blue with white clouds, rather than black.

I think with the "Welcome to MyNerja.com etc" I want to immediately tell people what the site is about, which is why I am in two minds about moving it - I shall experiment though with your suggestion.

How would you simplify the header to make it less busy?

Thanks again for the comments.

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a look.
    I agree with pdxSherpa. It seems like every element of your website it out of proper position. Too crowded and congested. And I think you should change the color coz it looks a bit dull as well as the font
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I really like the design of this site from the header down. My immediate thought was that the header was a bit cramped and busy, especially with the scrolling weather information. The social media widget could maybe look better and have more functionality if it was placed on the left in the sidebar.
    The color scheme generally works well, though I would consider changing the flat black background for a warm brown or similar natural color. The black is quite harsh, and on wide aspect screens you see quite a lot of it.
    Otherwise, it looks very interesting if I was going to that area. There is tons and tons of content, all well organized and laid out. I clicked around a fair bit and always felt there was plenty more to discover. Also, if I was thinking of advertising my local business with your site, I'd be encouraged to do so by your featured placements and informative entries.
    Charlie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site definitely appeals to the average person because the layout
    is so simple but very VERY effective. It is a clean site with a
    flawless look, and someone without any technical background would
    definitely appreciate it. The layout makes anyone feel comfortable
    because it is so well done and clean looking. You feel as if you are
    in good hands and you know that you will be able to find anything you
    need on this site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u can work on ur site color combinations buddy use white bg or #f5f5f5 and site is looking bit heavy..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The header is a bit cluttered, it distracts. In my opinion, the header should only consist of a clear, easily remembered logo and a an easy to navigate menu. The weather widget and the advertisement banner seem unnecessary. I would also say, but this is highly subjective, that a full #000 black background is too morbid and grim for a travel website, how about a light blue or light natural green?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atm it looks more like a blog than a web site. I would make blog entries smaller and hotel search form / catalog / whatever visitor may need right away bigger.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KISS comes to my mind.

have the weather information in the side bar... it's not that important if you want show the weather is great I would write it in the text. WELCOME TO MYNERJA the place where the weather is always good bla bla bla.
    White background for the header would be better as well considering you want the banner up there.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit too full for my taste, but I think that was your intention. It looks good, the color scheme is fine.

Too many widgets though...

General impression, good :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking great, if you use a pattern as background-image that would be better then this. Thanks for your this service.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback - its genuinely been very useful for me and has given me food for thought as to what to do next on the site. The first thing I have done is started changing the main image at the top of the page on a regular basis (every few days) to keep the content fresh. Looks like I need to simplify the header and do some work on the colour scheme also.

Thanks again for the comments.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyPodenco View Post
    I'm looking for feedback on my travel website, which gives information about the holiday town of Nerja in Spain.

The website is http://mynerja.com/.

Specifically what I want to do is change the layout of the home page. At the moment the top of the page is largely static, with a "welcome to Nerja" message and a large image that changes every few days.

Now I like the way the page is setup like this, as I think it gives a good introduction to what the site is about, however, it does mean the regular visitors to the site (including google) have to scroll down the page to see the latest news story, weather, picture etc.

So here are my current thoughts:

1) Move the news story to the top of the page, by swapping it with the Welcome To Nerja post. The news post is updated daily.

or

2) Leave the Welcome to Nerja post at the top, but maybe make it shorter (a couple of lines) with a "read more" button, with the news or the photo post directly underneath. The photo post is updated every few days.

or

3) Move the photo post to the top and have some sort of scroller, so that visitors scan scroll through previous photos.

or

Any other suggestions, thoughts, comments please?
    Hi, i have reviewed your website, the layout is excellent. I guess you have a good experience in it.
    <snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Dec 14, 2012 at 06:33. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had reviewed your website, as I am a web designer, It seems little old stylish to me. You can use slider for changing images. Also minimize the size of weather plugin and bring it little nearer to the top.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot going on on your homepage. Within the first 3 seconds of a visit, does a visitor know what they're looking at, what you want them to look at? I see a scrolling bar at the top, weather, a phone number, many links to click on, ads on the left, etc. You seem to have great content, I would use more white space in your design, though. Do you want ads on your homepage? Maybe, maybe not, depends on what you're trying to do (keep visitors on your site vs. ad revenue).

Looking good, but just a little cluttered.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep only font into side navigation is really big

Lower it little and maybe add a text-decoration: underline;

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is quite attractive and very eye catching, however I have not heard of Nerja before and your site doesnt offer any information on where it actually is. I really like how you have all the information about resorts and accommodation, the weather app is also quite informative. If i can recommend anything, i would suggest having a currency converter on your site so that people know how much bang for their buck they will get

Overall, great site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read some of the reviews other people wrote and I have to agree with some of them. You could change the color scheme and make it less cluttered.
    A big thing in my opinion is that you should get a really attractive picture of the city. The current picture doesn't show much.
    I bet that you had a really amazing picture that would give people something to explore.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI SandyPadencohe

Looking at your site, I have to say that i agree with some of the review comments. I particularly didn't like the black background color, i don't think it fits well with a travel sit.
    A few other things i noticed is that, the home page is way to congested. Although i do like the overall layout, it's difficult to concentrate on one thing when there is too much on one page. I noticed that you also had an AD that is not related to your niche. Personally, I would remove that.

Overall the layout is good

The Goods

- Good Layout

The bads

- Too congested
    - Ad not related to site
    - So so Quality of pictures

Aboudie

And best of luck to your site

SitePoint Enthusiast seohuntanalytics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, let me put in my two cents' worth

General impression is extremely good. Several opinions and advices:
    1) Background color of the header - it will be better to use more warm like green or blue. After all, it's the town in Spain not in Norway ;-)
    2) Maybe it is better to use more refined and stylish font in the header and for menu items? Something like this: http://www.dafont.com/aardvark-cafe.font
    3) Some images are of rather low quality and small size

As for the rest - I have nothing to add, to my opinion it's just perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your padding needs to be consistent throughout the entire site it's to inconstant from page to page