User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drupal community website

Hi,

I am not a designer so its a slow process for me. I am trying to develop a community site for immigrants in the town where i live. I am an immigrant and I want to create an online community with and for the immigrant community. So i am developing a barebones site to show people and try to get people interested to become involved. The content isn't there and the design isnt finished but I was hoping I could get a little feedback as i want to show it to people on Thursday..so i have a few days. The slideshow is a bit tempremental, if the pictures don't load click the home button. It needs something top right but i am not sure what and the footer needs work. Its very white which is ok but i am wondering if and what i can do with the body container background that doesnt make the page container stand out as too white.

Thanks in advance

http://empguitar.com/sfi/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi Derek,

I had a look through your site. The overall layout/ look&feel is simple and un-cluttered which I like. I have a little feedback that you may consider:

Main Pages in alternate languages: If you primary audience speaks mostly a particular language other than english, perhaps consider recruiting someone from your community to write your MAIN PAGES in that (or those) language(s). It would probably be helpful in reading your target audience. At least, when they navigate to the "Events" page, for example, they will be able to see in their own language that this page will show me events. Then they will be reading in english from then on. I like the style of picking your page-language where there are little flags in the top right of that page

What is this site for?: You may want to have a statement somewhere saying WHY this website exists. I see your Online Community for immigrants statement there but I dont feel it comes across very strongly. That may just be the positioning of it or perhaps the font you've chosen. If you had some sort of strong tag-line with your banner that said something like "meeting place for ____" or "bringing ___ together" or "immigrant community portal" or SOMETHING that let people know "THIS" is what the site is for. I guess what I'm saying is you may want to re-work and test out some different tag-lines.

The site is looking good! Good work. I hope it achieves the aim.

-Ian

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't be disheartened, it's a beautiful looking site. Elegant and simple design. However, I'm unsure at the exact purpose of this site. I think that with these kind of community building sites it might be better to make a Facebook page or blog rather than go to the effort of building a website. You've done a great job however.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice friendly site, lots of good things.
    Like:
    1. The nice use of white space. Makes the site looks spacious and open.
    2. Not overwhelming user with images and information.

Not so much:
    1. I think I can count at least four different fonts. Usually you don't want to use more than two. And the two top fonts at the top don't seem to compliment each other.
    2.The body of the site itself, with the various articles does not look very organized.looks a bit messy. You are not guiding the user to what they should look at first. Is "my story" the most important bit, because the very subdued "articles" next to it almost disappears.
    Also while the links on the articles are clickable, the text hover color doesn't change. But neither the image or the text in "my story" is clickable.
    And then again on the "notice board" The text is clickable and when you hover over it changes color.
    So you have three different responses to the user interaction.
    You are sending a inconsistent info to the user.

Otherwise very nice. good luck growing this site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me the site dosen't load. sorry

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time I tried to load the site, I killed it after waiting 10 seconds. Second try took 6 seconds before something started to form, which is still far to long.
    When I finally got to the landing page, all I saw was a number of links to other pages; no useful content on the front page at all. Leaving out those that visit the site because they know where they are going, I doubt many people will bother to go to a second page. Check your bounce rate in Analytics to see if I am right.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site but it takes quite a long time to load. Do you think you have too many plugins?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design it looks good, but as the community site all contents should be inside, i mean you need to hide all information inside to encourage the users to login to see the content and some how posting user information or photos outside community is not so good and you need to make sure that all personal information is save.
    other problems users said:
    - quite slow for loading

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the design is a bit messy. I don't really know where to focus. It could use more structure on the pages.
    You mentioned that you are going for a bare bones site. This is not it I think.

I also think your home page needs to be more clear on what the website is about. If I am an immigrant, and I get to the home page, what value is this website adding for me?
    Maarten

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no real prob w/load.
    But was just thinking. Would it be helpful to an immigrant to have links in that language?
    I would think that indentify the user beyond "immigrant" would not be a bad idea.
    Looking at this site i'd think you imagine your immigrants to be young white or beige fairly well off 20s-30s somethings into music.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with all CMS based sites, this one is also slow...but not as bad as others.
    THe map below doesn't work when you resize it.
    Why do you have the contact info page so hidden...and then it has it's own navigation??

Overall is OK, but I would think about just putting it up there without the CMS holding you down.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple but nice design. Don't mind, Can you play some times to your menu bar? I think I could be little gorgeous!

SitePoint Enthusiast IamOnStage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Derek,

Hope the below points are helpful.

1. Very much like the font, this gives a good feel and character to the site.
    2. For the user log in I would get rid of the list style as bullet points are not not required there. This would look better as just links, not a list
    3. The site needs an about page, even if i had heard about this website from a friend, I would still like a intro/description about why the site is there and how it can help me.
    4. The resources menu option links to the home page

Good site over all, Good Luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

the site looks good, I'd whish to have a bit more of a structural element. Something like blocks or columns - just to lead the eyes easier through the content.
    The pictures are really nice.

In generel the site looks nice. It's lacking of content and sometimes the Drupal style of elements breaks through:
    - Login box / list
    - Group list
    - Forums
    Maybe you'd like to change that so that it matches the rest of your site?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your overall efforts are good and praise able. You did a god job and i am happy to see your community work! Your website layout is well as it should be according to its niche. You have change your whole structure of your website. Set your added data in sequence and prominent to your best features. You to use 3 column layout in your niche. Use relevant images not the fake pictures.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is clean and has good presentation. But the content and advertising is all over the place. I am not sure where my eyes should be drawn to. I would designate a place for the want to sponsor us and the notifications and highlight the actual content you want on the site like the featured events for example.

Just my two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks good and you are doing well
    The more java scripts and css file, its take more load time...

There are 32 java scripts and 123 css file .....

There for your site take more load time.....

Decrease and compress java scripts and css

and also modify your site very beautiful....

Now in this gnneration, Users Like colorful and awsome site page ...

Your site looks good but its loooks like simple site....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isnt a bad look site at all. My critiques would be the fonts are a little to small. In my opinion its not as easy to ready. maybe because of my age lol. and i would focus on getting a logo designed that has real presence and call it a day.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kendrick View Post
    You shouldn't be disheartened, it's a beautiful looking site. Elegant and simple design. However, I'm unsure at the exact purpose of this site. I think that with these kind of community building sites it might be better to make a Facebook page or blog rather than go to the effort of building a website. You've done a great job however.
    Yes I agree with him. You should create a FB page as it would be easier for your program to get bigger with that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look the site very nice, just many effect so load too longtime.

good site.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site is nicely designed and firmly presented. But sadly, it took a lot of time to load it.

Some modifications to your site from my side:

- Login section should be placed at top of the page.
    - Noticeboard is kinda stuck in the page. Place it either right side or at top of the page.
    - You can highlight the menu bar with some background color to make them visible properly.
    - If possible, you can play with some bgcolors to cover and highlight your main contents.

Overall, I found it damn attractive. Keep up the good work

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should optimize it for mobile because i went on my iPod and srumbled upon this

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it still seems AMAZING. Nice work!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice clean looking site.