Thread: Being Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Becoming A Moderator

Here are a couple of question of mine about moderations:

1. How does one choose a moderator?
    2. What are the advatanges of being a moderator?
    3. What are the disadvantages of being a moderator?
    4. What are the responsibilities of a moderator?
    5. How do you know when its time that the moderator be an admin?
    6. Should a moderator know proper usage of grammar and spelling?
    7. Can moderators and admins ask technical or non-technical questions to their members too?
    Last edited by friend_al_23; Jan 5, 2003 at 22:53.
    The Star Circle Quest Community - Community website for SCQ fans.
    Telebisyon.net - Reference guide to TV series shown in the Philippines.
    Lyrics Server Online! - All the lyrics you can get on one website.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answers will vary from person to person...here's how I see it....

[list=1][*]How does one choose a moderator?

I choose people that have been around for awhile and are generally trying to help people. They don't necessarily have to be experts on the subject, just have a helping attitude.
    [*]What are the advatanges of being a moderator?

A feeling of satisfaction and self-worth.
    [*]What are the disadvantages of being a moderator?

Being hounded by people all the time.
    [*]What are the responsibilities of a moderator?

Moderating...ummm...getting rid of off topic posts, moving posts to proper forums, ending flame wars, etc..
    [*]How do you know when its time that the moderator be an admin?

I don't do this. I only have one level. It is titled Administrator, but is basically an Admin.
    [*]Should a moderator know proper usage of grammar and spelling?

To me this doesn't matter. I don't want someone that types in elite hacker talk, but I have moderators from other countries and their english isn't 100% perfect...
    [*]Can moderators and admins ask technical or non-technical questions to their members too?

Sure, we all can't be experts on everything![/list=1]
    Matt Wade
    http://codewalkers.com/ - Home of the PHP Coding Contest
    http://phphosts.codewalkers.com/ - Find a PHP host to meet all your needs. Add a host for FREE.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one choose a moderator?
    When I'm just starting up, I choose people that I think would make good moderators.

After you get going, you'll want to select people who have been around the community and proven themselves to be the example of what a good user is.

In some Communities, such as this one (and my KarateForums.com) there are multiple levels of staff. One level doesn't have "power" and one does. This provides some time to get to know that person that much more and for them to get to know the community that much more.

What are the advantages of being a moderator?
    Well, if you are the type of person, you like to contribute to a community and take pride in the things that you are a part of.

What are the disadvantages of being a moderator?
    Responsibility is a disadvantage to some. When you are a moderator (at least at my sites), you have to present yourself in a positive light and absolutely maintain a good behavior because you are an example of the site.

Sometimes users can "hound" you as the first reply said. On my sites, I try to be the "everyone hate me guy" and it usually works. Someone has to be the "bad" guy.

What are the responsibilities of a moderator?
    Depends on the community. But generally your job is to watch the forums. Move topics to the most appropriate forum. Watch that the community guidelines are upheld. Stimulate discussion.

How do you know when its time that the moderator be an admin?
    I don't know that there is a distinct time, just when you feel that that person is ready/when you need someone.

Should a moderator know proper usage of grammar and spelling?
    They should be able to convey their feelings in an understandable manner, certainly.

Can moderators and admins ask technical or non-technical questions to their members too?
    Yes. Always.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * How does one choose a moderator?

You can usually see a member with moderator qualities once your forum begins to grow. They will be the ones who people respect and try to calm down argumentative threads.

At the start of a forum it is tempting to make an early member a mod so that he or she encourages growth and talking in the forum but this can sometimes backfire.

* What are the advatanges of being a moderator?

It depends on the forum but usually members have a bit more respect for you and are less likely to call you stupid names or whatever since you have mod responsiblities. Its also good seeing behind the scenes of a forum.

* What are the disadvantages of being a moderator?

Time is one. It can be time consuming spending time on forums and replying to topics which have already been discussed.

* What are the responsibilities of a moderator?

Depsnds on the forum once again - in general, to close threads which need to be closed, to edit/move threads, to help newbies and also established members and to act in a manner which will project the tone of the forum

* How do you know when its time that the moderator be an admin?

Personally, the highest rank id give them is super moderator unless the banning etc was too time consuming was too much or they chipped in with the hosting. You have to remember that the mod could seriously mess up your site.

* Should a moderator know proper usage of grammar and spelling?

I think it helps but i dont think its absolutely neccessary

* Can moderators and admins ask technical or non-technical questions to their members too?

Of course though id suggest making a private room for mods and admin so mods can ask any forum software related questions privately. This means the mods arent projected as newbies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to hear W. Luke reply to this topic.
    - website

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one choose a moderator? Someone who is knowledgeable, respected by the rest of the community, and presents themselves in a calm and collected manner.

What are the advatanges of being a moderator? Being recognized for having the qualities I mentioned in my last answer.

What are the disadvantages of being a moderator? Many moderators sometimes feel as though they are held to a higher standard, that they can't voice their opinions on certain subjects.

What are the responsibilities of a moderator? On my board they simply edit posts when needed.

How do you know when its time that the moderator be an admin? I would never make a moderator an admin.

Should a moderator know proper usage of grammar and spelling? I believe so but I suppose exceptions could be made.

Can moderators and admins ask technical or non-technical questions to their members too? Not sure what you mean by this.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is moderating a paying job?

If you are going to ask someone to do all this work, shouldn't they get paid? I've never heard of the job...unless its customer service? Is there such a job?
    http://www.arts-pay.com galleries of artists and craftspeople: buy direct

www.designpays.com portfolio site of commercial artists and designers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is moderating a paying job?

Originally posted by Susan Kraemer
    If you are going to ask someone to do all this work, shouldn't they get paid? I've never heard of the job...unless its customer service? Is there such a job?
    No, moderating is very rarely a paid job -- it's more of a volunteer position that people enjoy/embrace doing as they are already active members of a community. I don't know any sites who pay moderators, not even this site.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of a moderator being paid. Around Christmas I'll do something nice for my mods, last Christmas I sent them a mousepad with our site logo on it. It's not much but as the previous person said, they do it because they like your site and its members and have a genuine interest in the topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Topic! I'm going to be in this situtation in the near future and feel that I've learned quite a bit from this thread.
    Thanks for all the input!
    I run an insurance company directory at InsuranceCompanies.net