SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Availability of older browsers

I went to download.com and old browsers like NS4.XX and IE5 were offered for download.
    I believe that older browsers shouldn't be so available.
    Sites like download.com shouldn't offer these browsers at all, or if they offer them they should clearly note that these browsers are outdated and give links for the new versions.

For most programs listed at downlaod.com when a new version arrives it replaces the older version. Why this doesn't happen with the browsers?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Availability of older browsers

Originally posted by S7even
    For most programs listed at downlaod.com when a new version arrives it replaces the older version. Why this doesn't happen with the browsers?
    Cause us developers have to have these older browsers for testing!

Seriously though, do you ever think that half of your NS4 users are just other developers testing a site in various browsers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do yo think so? I never use NS4 for other sites than my own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Availability of older browsers

Originally posted by vgarcia
    Seriously though, do you ever think that half of your NS4 users are just other developers testing a site in various browsers?
    At http://download.com.com/3150-2354-0-1-5.html if you sort the results by downloads last week, the new NS7 has less than 10 thousand downloads, NS4.79 has over 7 thousand and NS4.08 over 3 thousand. People LAST WEAK downloaded more NS4 than NS7 !!

I believe this creates a problem to the theory that NS4 users are mostly users of big companies and colleges, or people with old computers that they don't care or know how to upgrade.

Are we (web developers) so many that we can download 10000 copies of NS4 in a week just from download.com?

I believe that places like download.com should not promote old browsers in this way.
    Tucows.com does it better. http://www.tucows.com/preview/193763.html There is only one link for Netscape, and thats NS7. Same thing for IE6. Then on a sidebar of the NS7 page they have links for "Also available" where the older browsers are listed. Older browsers are listed only there, and they don,'t even show up in the search results when you search for Netscape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting. Does anyone know anyone high in the echelon at the Mozilla project? They could probably get someone from AOL to take care of it since download.com is pay-to-list now.