SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen capture/recording in Flash?

I'm looking at building a multimedia demonstration of a program. I'd like to show mouse-movements etc, as well as voice record.
    How do Macromedia do it in their on-line tour/demos? Can I do this in Flash? I'd prefer to do it in Flash, but are there any other recommendations for programs to build these demos in?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it can be done in Flash.

You can also do it in Director -- and save the file as a Shockwave for the web but not a lot of people have the shockwave plugin.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lind, I have Flash 5 and have looked it up in the user manual - I can't find reference to it anywhere. Could you give me a pointer on where I can look for it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever used Flash before. If not, then this project might be too complicated. Instead, I'd reccomend Swish.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If by mouse movement you mean an image of an arrow moving from point A to point B (like what you would see in http://www.i2x.net/admin_demo.swf) -- you can do that with tweening -- check "Tweening motion along path" in chapter 11 of the Flash 5 manual. There's also a tutorial in the flash software that will show you how to do this.

Dealing with sound is discussed in chapter 6.

Good luck.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think MM probably use something like Screencorder to do theirs. I use this. I got it free on the front of a magazine and it's really quite good. You just hit record and do whatever it is you do. Then I open the movie it records in Sound Forge (which again is a really nice little piece of s/w that comes free with several MM packages) where you can edit the soundtrack to the movie to your heart's content .... including recording live on to the movie as you watch it in thumbnail form.