SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look for feedback on overall functionality, concept, and design

Keep in mind my main demographic is women between the ages of 30-60.

General feedback I'm looking for:
    - Functionality, does it appears some functions aren't working properly in your browser
    - Speed, slow or fast
    - Call to Action suggestions
    - Color/font suggestions
    - Design, does the idea come across immediately or does it take a while to grasp
    - Could social media icons be placed better
    - Should I have more examples of the finished product framed and where should I place them.
    - Anything you can think of.

Thanks for your help anyone and everyone. It's greatly appreciated.

If it sucks, tell me why. If it's awesome, tell me why. Everything will help.

- Tyler
    Last edited by ralph.m; Oct 26, 2012 at 19:00.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Looks nice! I wasn't totally sure what it was about at first, but there is a lot of explanation, which is good. There seem like too many options on the home page, though: I wasn't sure whether to type something at the bottom of the page or click the "Click Here to Spell with Letter Photography" button—re they alternative ways to do the same thing? BTW, I think it should read "Click Here to Type with Letter Photography", because this is not really about spelling.

It's not really all that clear that you are only meant to type one word, either. I typed a name of two words, and the system got a bit confused. The gap between the words had a broken graphic, and when I clicked that, a blank gray box popped up, ad I couldn't get rid of it—meaning that I had to abandon the session. Perhaps something to fine tune.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralph,
    Great advice. I've made some changes. I'm looking into javascript that will disable spaces because that has been a problem.

Thanks again

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    It might be nice to allow for multiple words, if that's possible, as a single word seems a little limited to me. Up to you, of course.

Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    I wasn't sure whether to type something at the bottom of the page or click the "Click Here to Spell with Letter Photography" button ...
    Duh ... the bottom one is an image. Forget I said that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks really nice. Simple and effective. The only comments I have are the menu bar looks a bit bog standard for what is a really nice site and I think you could redesign/move the facebook like. Maybe lose the gray background or use a bespoke design. Also orange is not the only fruit..and facebook is definitely not the only social network people use...but it depends on your target audience. Maybe you could think of putting some other social media buttons at the bottom.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hey Tyler,

I really like the concept of your business!

Some of my first impressions:

Clutter: There is a lot of information on the page that could be contained with borders to help eliminate the cluttered feeling. For example, the "our alphabet pictures" image is just floating among the background. Frame it in and i think it will clean up really well.

Banner: I personally find that banner hard to read and I found myself searching around the site for a few seconds before I realized WHAT exactly your services are before I looked back at the banner and realized it said "welcome". I'm sure some of your letter/word combos are easier to read than others. If you want to re-work it, you might try making 5 or 6 prototype banners that vary the letter selection and spacing of those letters. Ask people to pick their favourites from those once you have at least 10 people's selections, analyze the letter selection and spacing they chose. See if you can determine what about those selections might be likeable. You might use that information to generate a few more banners that hone in on your findings to build a perfect banner.

In other words: do some product testing. Also, try making some of those selections black-and-white only or make all letters in a set have a color theme. Having colour continuity will GREATLY help the human brain decipher the fact that there are letters to be read as one word.

-Ian

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful looking site. The comment I would make is I would have the "Try it Yourself" search box more prominent as it was a little hard to find. Perhaps you could have it above the "How it works".

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main screen is too cluttered for my liking, as already mentioned. Personally I would try putting the "try it yourself" box right underneath your welcome (instead of "click to type") and I would have the "How it works" on a separate tab.

Also I typed in my website name as a test and the . came out as no image, which looks like a bug.

Speedwise its nice and slick on my browser (Chrome and also in Firefox) on an old XP machine.

Do you only sell to the US market, or do you ship worldwide? If so I would add other currencies, such as Euro and Sterling, plus make clear what your phone number is for international callers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tyler,

This site is really pretty. I like the colour scheme and the separation of various page elements. The home page is really attention grabbing, and the general concept behind your product is really strong as well, which always helps a lot. I found the site easy to use, informative and it inspired confidence that it was a trustworthy place to spend money. My only suggestion is that I thought the nav bar on the top right of the home page could be prettier, and the letter photography logo I would have the text a bit bigger. Perhaps make the top ribbon about how many you have sold smaller, or put the information somewhere else, as its the first thing my eye is drawn to rather than the images of your products.
    That said, I think its really good. I'd love to be able to make sites this pretty

Charlie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big fan of blue and grey, I find them a bit too antagonistic of each other. I would suggest making the greys lighter, not pure #fff white, but something in the range of #f5f5f5.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its hard to grasp the idea — maybe make "hello" or "love" or "IVU" out of "welcome", this will allow to make it bigger and add more contrast so letters stand out.
    You have lots of examples on the first page but none of those is big and prominent enough for me to actually understand whats it all about right away.

Not a big fan of colors either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of the site. I'm not too sure about the colours though. The blue is nice, but maybe a bit too bright, the dark grey header is looks well, I don't really like the grey menu, as someone said above, it seems a bit bog standard. It's a nice site overall but maybe could do with a bit of cleaning up. The footer is great, it looks very professional to me, I did notice 1 small thing, the 'Try it Yourself' submit button is slightly higher than the text box

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nav bar on top looks good, but it's a bit out of style with the rest of the web site. The images can be quite slow in loading, so maybe you would want to compress them, or load smaller thumbnails that link to the bigger ones. Nothing about the site design itself, but are you sure the pricing engine is right? I just did a small test, and it charged me 55 bucks?? Anyways, the site looks OK, but check the mentioned points.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, at first I didn't know what your website offers. I thought you are offering canvases and you are a BW photographer, but when I read and then went back to the photos you had on your homepage and trying to read them, I grasped the idea. My opinion is that your idea is creative but you are lacking somewhere.

1. The photos in your idea section are not attractive, they need to be more professional and perhaps more ideas.
    2. You have to offer framing them as well, leaving them half the way is somehow disapointting. Customers like to deal with businesses that take care of everything.
    3. I noticed a big factor as well in the website that may drive clients away. The photos themselves! They are not professionally taken. not visually attractive, and once put together to form a word, it is hard for someone new to actually realize the letters.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not immediately clear that the photos on the homepage spell out WELCOME. If there is a way to make this more obvious, that would help. The menu bar is very plain - if your demographic is older women then I would suggest some larger text. You could make the Steps area a little more interesting too - perhaps some larger colored numbers? And in the Try It Yourself area, try to use a greyed-out box around 'i.e. Smith'. Its confusing right now, especially for less savvy web users

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the website looks very good, but i think the color is kind of boring - - but anyway, nice work!!!