SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm noticing some abnormalities in my hitbox stats. Perhaps others who use it could share their experiences.

It basically has to do with impressions.

For today It says I had 587 page views in the traffic summary, as well as 133 uniques.

In the most requested pages however it says I had 880 page views.

Which one is right? 587 or 880? I'm inclined to like the 880 number. And the 880 number is accompanied by the list of exactly what pages were viewed and how many times. But nonetheless I don't understand why there is such a discrepancy. Apparently Hitbox isn't so accurate.

Chris

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am experiencing a discrepancy with my Hitbox stats starting about a week ago, though different in nature from yours. Up until last week, my unique visitors was x per day, but suddenly, it's dropped by about half, with no further evidence to support an actual drop in traffic.

I've just switched to Webtrendslive on my site. It looks like a superior product anyways.

FYI, the site is http://wsabstract.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because HitBox tracks a page view when the image is loaded, your problem is probably happening because people click on a link or hit stop before all the page is loaded.

HitBox only tracks full page views not just half of a page so it may be people are tired or loading on your sites and hit stop.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been seeing the same Hitbox problems on my sites. It shows that traffic has really tanked in the last week or so, but I don't believe it has.

Hitbox seems to have problems like this sporadically. Last year one of my accounts stopped tracking at all. They had to reset it, and I ended up losing a long period of data.

I'm also considering moving to WebTrendsLive. I like Hitbox's look and feel better than WTL, and I like the way sites are ranked. However, WTL is superior in at least a few ways:

* The image is smaller

* All pages can use the same code (with Hitbox, you have to modify the "page name" variable for each page)

* It tracks referrers from all pages, rather than just the index page

The only downside I've seen with WTL is that it seems to have trouble picking up the page title on certain pages. In its reports, it shows the pages as "This document has no title", when it clearly does.

On one of my sites, I've been running both HitBox and WTL at the same time, for about the last three weeks. At first, they were about even (in terms of showing the same number of impressions), but over the last few days, WTL has shown many more impressions, and seems the more reliable.

Has anyone used WTL long-term, and can comment on their reliability?

Randy Rasa
    http://www.cleversoul.com/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mine are showing less than they should too.

I'll e-mail them, and mention this link
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got this back from HitBox (fast service - I was impressed!)

"Dear Webmaster,
    We are aware of the current problem concerning your stats. This is due to
    the server being upgraded to increase performance. We are going to fix the
    problem ASAP. Once fixed, it will not affect the days that have all ready
    been affected with this issue. Those days will remain the same, but your
    stats moving forward will not experience the problem.
    We appreciate your patience with the issue and look forward to providing you
    with excellent service in the future.

We appreciate any comments or criticism you may have regarding the appearance of Hitbox.com and the support you received. In order to better serve you, we request you submit future problems through our Tech Support pages located at http://resources.hitbox.com/cgi-bin/...port/helpdesk"

Hopefully they'll sort it out soon!
    Football-Punter.co.uk

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that they've fixed it now, as I today recorded my highest no. of unique visitors ever!

What about everyone else's stats?
    Football-Punter.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use Hitbox in the first place. Why put their bulky code full of ads into your page when you can have an invisible stat tracker like SiteMeter.com?