SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast CreativeConcepts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Please review my movies, series & anime related website (part 2)

Hello!

My name is Milan and I'm a beginning webdesigner. Please rate my website.
    All feedback is appreciated. But I am extra interested in some things.

- Lay-out/design
    - Contact page
    - The top 10 lists (are they fun, good content etc.)
    - Usability
    - What you think from SEO point of view

Website adress: www.toptentelevision.com

Part 2
    This is my second request for a website review, I have made all the improvements that were advised nad my website is totally different now.
    The first thread is located here.

Thank you very much,
    Milan

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    For me, the site needs more explanation. The text in the sidebar doesn't really tell me enough. I don't really get the purpose of the site. Who has rated these movies etc. and on what basis? If you've done the top ten movies, what next? Will there be another list some other time? etc. etc. It looks nice, but it's not clear what it's all about yet.

SitePoint Member phrasedirectory's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    For me, the site needs more explanation. The text in the sidebar doesn't really tell me enough. I don't really get the purpose of the site. Who has rated these movies etc. and on what basis? If you've done the top ten movies, what next? Will there be another list some other time? etc. etc. It looks nice, but it's not clear what it's all about yet.
    I agree with you........No Attraction In Site, I open this type of site only for 4-5 Seconds only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    The lists are rated by me. I would pick the 10 best action movies in MY opinion. So nothing official, I just help you learn about new movies and help you choose what to watch.
    And as for the updates. I will keep adding new top 10 lists for movies, series and anime. So that's it basically :P

It's all explained on the website but I will need to make that more clear! Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phrasedirectory View Post
    I agree with you........No Attraction In Site, I open this type of site only for 4-5 Seconds only.
    Could you maybe be more specific on what I am doing wrong, and how I could improve? If not, thank you for the review anyway!
    - Milan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi Milan,

I really like your site. I know there are a lot of sites that serve this purpose but yours has a fun feel and i think your easily appeal to gamers. I like your colour themes and think that there is a lot of versatility in your layout that leave a lot of room for evolution.

I have one consideration for you. The overall styles (font and custom-graphics) within the site could be tweaked to be better tied-into the style of the top banner. I really like your top banner style with the old-school video-game look and the orange tiles background. This gives a cool feel that reminds me of some of the themes i've seen on g4 tv. I feel that your font selection and header styles could be re-worked to better tie-in to your banner. RIGHT NOW IT LOOKS GREAT, but I think a little tweaking could tie everything together and really super-charge your site. There is a distinction and highly-stylized theme with your banner that is really appealing.

I see two ways of achieving this
    A) Perhaps using some graphics matching the banner styles as headers? This could just be really small and simple stuff like using that little TV with some image in it or something.

B) Incorporate your body-text into the banner somehow.

The site is looking fantastic! Overall I really like it.

-Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Ian for putting this much effort in reviewing my website.

I am also a gamer so that might be why we both get hypnotized by that header haha.
    Your perspective on my website has opened my eyes to some cool possibilities.
    I will definitely get a better matching theme going on. The fonts need work first I think.

- Milan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Milan,
    I think you've already done a great work, and i agree with some friends by putting much more colors as to make it more attractive.
    I like your site, because i love moovies,...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with others who sat that you need more colours there. However, it's an interesting site you have there and has the possibility of developing into a good hub for tv & movies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kendrick View Post
    I concur with others who sat that you need more colours there. However, it's an interesting site you have there and has the possibility of developing into a good hub for tv & movies.
    Thank you both for the reply!

Gary could you maybe tell me more about these possibility you see? I think you can give me some image of what you invisioned there.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Milan,

I am, like others here, a bit confused about the purpose of the website. When I land on it, nothing catches my eye to tell what is it about.
    One suggestion could be to make the header image more... expressive about the website.
    Maybe you could add some images to the text articles / snippets from the front page to make them more attractive.
    The footer links look like a breadcrumb and this is not the case. Maybe you can remove the ">"...
    I like the colors.

Good luck with the site !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the good review,

most of the attention goes to my header. So I will definitely explain more about the site its purpose in the header. With images and text.
    I know the footer links are important, but how can I improve them? Why is > no good? Draws more attention right?

Milan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is about review site, but I do not see any kind of point or rating sign?
    Like the design and font, I think it easy for reading and clean.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    The site has a nice layout, the lettering is big enough and just enough information space is shown. I'm also a beginner web designer and I get a lot of ideas from view people’s websites. I like the colors orange, black, and gray look good. I do believe if you are going to be doing Top 10s based off your own opinions you will have to give a brief description of why you chose this movie. This will give people a better understanding of how you ranked them. Overall the layout works, I think that you should really add more content though, hitting every genre, also what happens if you update your list, maybe create a "new" icon next to the genre to help people know it's been updated. I like it, it's easy on the eyes and you definitely have some good skills. I hope to get my reviews up and have my site critiqued but I need to review more sites. I will keep visiting to see how the list progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinasoft View Post
    Your site is about review site, but I do not see any kind of point or rating sign?
    Like the design and font, I think it easy for reading and clean.
    Thank you, do you think a brief description of why I chose a certain movie would help?

Quote Originally Posted by jukrzy View Post
    Hello,
    The site has a nice layout, the lettering is big enough and just enough information space is shown. I'm also a beginner web designer and I get a lot of ideas from view people’s websites. I like the colors orange, black, and gray look good. I do believe if you are going to be doing Top 10s based off your own opinions you will have to give a brief description of why you chose this movie. This will give people a better understanding of how you ranked them. Overall the layout works, I think that you should really add more content though, hitting every genre, also what happens if you update your list, maybe create a "new" icon next to the genre to help people know it's been updated. I like it, it's easy on the eyes and you definitely have some good skills. I hope to get my reviews up and have my site critiqued but I need to review more sites. I will keep visiting to see how the list progress.
    Thank you for the review,

The brief description: Idea is great, I will do this for sure.
    Have been debating it for a long time, but without it people seem to get confused about what they are looking at.

More genres are coming soon, it is all written. Just has to be copied onto the website and published! I will do the normal genres but also fun things I think of.
    The homepage is where all the updates can be found. Also on all the social media. If I update top 10 lists it will be shows there with a link and explanation.
    So I don;t think the 'new icon' would be needed. Cool idea though! I like the way you think!

I will make sure to give your website a good review when the thread pops up,
    Milan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the design and font, I think iteasy for reading and clean.

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lists are rated by me. I would pick the 10 best action movies in MY opinion.
    Maybe you should put an online poll regarding your top ten lists. When it comes to the design of the website, well, it's dull and it lacks of appeal.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for the review,

I am going to change the top 10 lists a bit. I will take away what is not needed and I will add my reason for picking it in that spot and list.
    That will make it more clear how it was rated.

How could I make the design less dull and with more appeal?

Milan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Milan,

I'm pretty new to design myself as well, but I did like your site. I had a few thoughts though,

1. Like has been said already, I think the design of the site would really benefit from tying the elements visually together a bit more. I like the style of the banner, expecially that cool orange background, and I think you could use elements from that a bit more.

2. Home Page - I think there could be more general information here. I didn't really get what the site was for until I had clicked about a bit, and couldn't immediately see the benefit of me exploring it further.

3. With the social media bar that follows the page as you scroll, I don't think you really need them again at the top of the page. I'm not really a fan of things like that that scroll with you, but thats just a personal thing.

Good looking site though, nice work

Charlie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review Charlie,

1. Good idea, I will work on that more and more untill the design is perfect!
    2. Does the header really not explain what the website is for enough? Even all the attention goes there! Hmm I will find another way to make it more clear!
    3. The bar is for sharing, the icons are for my page. That is also explained but I might do that differently since you didn't notice.

Milan

Quote Originally Posted by charliemathews View Post
    Hi Milan,

I'm pretty new to design myself as well, but I did like your site. I had a few thoughts though,

1. Like has been said already, I think the design of the site would really benefit from tying the elements visually together a bit more. I like the style of the banner, expecially that cool orange background, and I think you could use elements from that a bit more.

2. Home Page - I think there could be more general information here. I didn't really get what the site was for until I had clicked about a bit, and couldn't immediately see the benefit of me exploring it further.

3. With the social media bar that follows the page as you scroll, I don't think you really need them again at the top of the page. I'm not really a fan of things like that that scroll with you, but thats just a personal thing.

Good looking site though, nice work

Charlie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking your site I was looking for some way to vote on your selections. You could then have a way to show how much interest or how much your visitors agree with your selections. The only way I can see to voice feedback is to send you a personal comment. Also maybe linking your choices to the producer / director sites. Linking to the actors and their previous movies or TV shows.

Jakeas

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha the layout is exactly like mine- a template from Weebly.
    I like everything, but I suggest you make a logo to make your site have a signature

SitePoint Enthusiast seohuntanalytics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for me, everything is quite perfect except only one thing - http://www.toptentelevision.com/top-10-movies.html - on this page the size of square google ads block is bigger than alloted for it place (checked in Opera, Firefox and Chrome). In general, nice site, continue in the same way and add more articles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakbeas View Post
    Checking your site I was looking for some way to vote on your selections. You could then have a way to show how much interest or how much your visitors agree with your selections. The only way I can see to voice feedback is to send you a personal comment. Also maybe linking your choices to the producer / director sites. Linking to the actors and their previous movies or TV shows.

Jakeas
    Yes I will introduce a voting system for my visitors soon, this is something I have been wanting to add for a long time.
    I won't add more background information on movie directors and such, I think it would be better to focus on top 10 lists.
    The IMDB is not a force to be reckoned with. haha. thank you for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by oninez View Post
    haha the layout is exactly like mine- a template from Weebly.
    I like everything, but I suggest you make a logo to make your site have a signature
    That's cool, I am interested how you used this template, where can I find your link?
    I allready have a logo, I just have some issues placing it. I demand symmetric perfection and placing the logo is messing things up.
    Will be fixed for sure though, need to tinker around a bit. Thank you for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by seohuntanalytics View Post
    As for me, everything is quite perfect except only one thing - http://www.toptentelevision.com/top-10-movies.html - on this page the size of square google ads block is bigger than alloted for it place (checked in Opera, Firefox and Chrome). In general, nice site, continue in the same way and add more articles.
    Aha! That was the result of a (failed) experiment I was doing for my ad placement. Has been put back to normal, thanks for the heads up!
    I will definitely continue, something I am not yet satisfied with is the lay out of the top 10 lists. I will work on that and then start adding more articles.
    Thank you for the feedback!

- Milan