SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Illustrator problems

Hey guys,

Arg its so annoying, Illustrator kix *** but i hate when I make a graphic and then when I try and save it, it automatically makes the graphic as small as possible. For example if I make a 300 x 100 logo and had white space on either side, it takes that white space away. Is there anyway that I can turn this auto function thingy off?
    AbcArcade.com - free internet games!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably you are referring to Illustrator's 'Save for Web' feature, right?
    If so, I'm not altogether sure why you're getting this problem.

In my experience Illustrator has always saved objects according to the boundaries of its largest component.
    To ensure clear space around a graphic element (within the graphic itself) I have always used a box with no fill and no stroke.

This has always worked faultlessly for me.

It's just occurred to me that you might be assuming that the page size (artboard) sets the amount of clear space around an object.

This is wrong (by default).
    If this is the case, then you should realise that Illustrator ignores the dimensions of the artboard and acknowledges only the actual objects on that page during the Save for Web process.

It is much better to use an unfilled/unstroked object of the desired dimensions with your graphic to establish clear space around it.
    Using this method is generally better for a default as you don't have to keep creating pages of certain, non-standard sizes.

--

All that being said... you can force the artboard to be used as the bounds of the graphic by going into the 'Image Size' tab of the 'Save for Web' window and checking the 'Clip to Artboard' checkbox and then clicking 'Apply'.

Hopefully I've understood what you mean and answered the problem.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't quite follow what you are trying to do here. When I work in Illustrator I save the file as a .ai--any other work is done from this file, but it is seldom that I rasterize any Illustrator file for output. Usually doesn't make any sense to do this. Explain a lot more about your workflow! This is the key to getting consistent output from any sort of file.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you keep your files as .ai's forever?? I am talking about when I want to save a illustrator file as a gif, or jpg.
    AbcArcade.com - free internet games!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Mo Money
    Do you keep your files as .ai's forever?? I am talking about when I want to save a illustrator file as a gif, or jpg.
    So did my post answer your question?
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I do normally keep my .ai files (as well as my .psd photoshop files) forever. These are my masters and are always available for editing. I have never used save for web in Illustrator so I really can't answer to that. Take the image into Photoshop and save for web from that if you are familiar with it. Try what Bill suggests though first. I know I am going to try it out and I will probably learn something I didn't know before. That is the fun thing about Photoshop and Illustrator (not to mention all other programs)- There is always something new to learn.