User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    What you have described is completely impossible, although there is a vaguely similar process happening.

Your browser can't interpret or change the results in any way. Google sends a page of results, and that will be displayed by your browser as it was sent (give or take the usual caveats about cross-browser compatibility) ... your browser can't choose the move results up and down the page. Nor can Google access your browser's cache, that would be a humongous security risk if it could!

What actually happens is that Google uses what it knows about you to adjust the results to be personalised to you. That only happens if you are logged into your Google account – it keeps a track of what you've searched for and what you've clicked on to build up its picture of you, and then uses that to prioritise results that it thinks will be of particular interest to you.
    No it is the browser's fault, Google would never do that, I trust them especially since their slogan is "Don't be evil...

Google would never act as "Big Brother", save my search results and present what they think I should see.

Google will always let the market dictate the most popular pages and never manipulate my search results for their own benefit.

Google has no need to construe the actual results because they have more than enough money...

or is that how they got all their money

Now where is the "Tongue in cheek" smiley?

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Betong View Post
    Now where is the "Tongue in cheek" smiley?
    You can just wrap your comments in <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Betong View Post
    Google would never act as "Big Brother", save my search results and present what they think I should see.

Google will always let the market dictate the most popular pages and never manipulate my search results for their own benefit.

Google has no need to construe the actual results because they have more than enough money...
    Google became the dominant search engine by giving people the best results for their search query. By personalising the results, they are able to do that even better - using what they know about you, they give you the results that will be best for YOU - you can opt out if you want to, there's nothing sinister going on, but most people will find this a helpful feature, which is why Google uses it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in nowadays too difficult to always be on top of the SERP without investment in SEO. Too many competitors in the commercial niches with big budgets who want to eat you for breakfast. Still, you can increase the PR of your site with a natural build-up of links (and this is only possible with the outstanding ideas).

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Google became the dominant search engine by giving people the best results for their search query. By personalising the results, they are able to do that even better - using what they know about you, they give you the results that will be best for YOU - you can opt out if you want to, there's nothing sinister going on, but most people will find this a helpful feature, which is why Google uses it.
    I was impressed when Google first broke into the search engine market. At the time the other leading search engine companies took forever to load on the old slow modems mostly because of the abundance of flashing adverts, promotions and other images. Google introduced a page without images and a single input box which loaded very, fast. Their search results were also just text and lacking in images helping the results to display rapidly which helped to soon become the leaders in their field. The WayBackMachine is interesting to see just how well they have increased their exposure.

Unfortunately they branched and now have paying advertising customers to keep happy. They utilised their databases to save individuals' search requests and manipulate the actual results to achieve maximum returns.

I am aware that I can opt out but I do like the rapid response of the their targeted search results I also think it would be nice to have an option to see the raw results.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe that is a niche now... Plain, good, old, only text search engine? And as simple as possible!
    http://www.yourshoutbox.com <- FREE chat for your website - limited offer
    http://www.smartchatbox.com <- let your visitors talk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possible but you have to struggle. And also get the knowledge of the Search Engines Updates. You know now all is Money. Money is All. So Instead of handover all promotions to markting you can share it. I think it might less your expenses and also you can get ideas to increase your website traffic.
    You can do
    Get Likes for your FaceBook Fan page
    Getting Ideas to increase traffic
    If you are good writer means you can try to write contents and publish it through Press ReleasesURL], Article Submissions[/URL] for the targeted keywords.
    Last edited by Ted S; Oct 27, 2012 at 02:53.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can if you find a reason to give to your visitors to become promoter of your site.
    Not simply asking them to share on social network... for what?
    They need to have one or several good reason to do so, find it and state it clearly to every visitor who comes on your site.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesColin View Post
    You can if you find a reason to give to your visitors to become promoter of your site.
    Not simply asking them to share on social network... for what?
    They need to have one or several good reason to do so, find it and state it clearly to every visitor who comes on your site.
    Any specific ideas?
    http://www.yourshoutbox.com <- FREE chat for your website - limited offer
    http://www.smartchatbox.com <- let your visitors talk

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know, an affiliate program, some way to look cool or be helpful (not to you but to others) or to get something of value to them in general. It should be aimed towards them, the truth is no visitor cares about you, everybody care only about themselves and their close relationship, so you need to exploit that fact to your advantage.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a new website and want to promote your website.Then link building provide you best way for promote your website by getting more traffic.
    It has following benefits:
    Improved positions on Google and other search engines leading to increases in sales
    Free marketing
    Increased traffic from the actual sites
    judith456

<snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Oct 29, 2012 at 04:30. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, social media sites are very good tools for free promotion. And if you're willing to spend a little money, Facebook Ads can be highly targeted towards any audience. In short, yes - you can promote successfully for free, but even a small budget will give you more options to work with.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sometimes, the best things in life is not always free. You have to lose some to gain some. Successful marketers invest a lot of money. And they get a double, triple, amount in return. That's just how it works.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible.
    Use free means to increase traffic and backlinks.
    use article submission
    use video submission
    use doc sharing submission
    use free directory submission
    use forum marketing
    All are having its value.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, we've had some good answers but it seems like we're just going round in circles now, so I'm closing the thread before it gets any worse...