SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getting spam from a form in my site....

I still can't understand why there's no longer a JSP forum here (still have PHP & .NET, why no JSP?)

I had a "signup" form in my photo site.... but all of a sudden about three weeks ago started getting tons of emails thru that form, I can tell it's spam.... have had that form there for about six years, and after getting maybe three emails a year, now all of a sudden have started getting about three a day... so I eliminated that form... but am still getting the "signup" emails... how can they send emails to my email address (which appears only on back-end, not front-end), even though the form is no longer there? how on earth do they do this?? is there a way to stop these emails?

(actually what I get is not technically spam.. it's just an attempt by them to get my email address (if I ever email them) so they can get my email address so they can send me spam afterwards... is my assumption....)

thank you....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is your email address a catchall? does it receive emails sent to any email address on your domain?

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It may be that the page with the form exists in some database and that's what's being used - at least the e-mail address may still exist.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's not a "domain" address, it's a gmail address... it's my primary address....

man, I've had that form there literally for years, about six years, to be exact, all of a sudden a few weeks ago started getting all these emails...

thank you...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how on earth do get they my email address, when it does not appear on the front-end at all?

only way to send email to it is thru the form.... (of so I thought....)

thank you....

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Could you have replied to one of the forum messages (thinking it was legitimate)? Otherwise, what makes you believe the form gave away your address? I have GMail too, and get tons of spam from all over the place. Luckily. Google is very good at filtering it out.