SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netscape 4 at NASA

My brother works for NASA out at Edwards AFB. He tells me that they are forced to use Nestcape 4 at work, much to many engineer's dislikes.

Just thought I'd put it out there incase anyone is designing pages that may be used by NASA people. I don't know if this is throughout NASA or just at Edwards.

Jason
    ><>
    My home: http://anvilgear.com
    Backpacker/Mountian Biker/Computer Geek Extraordinaire
    "Do what you love and love what you do, anything else is just some form of slavery" - Royal Robbins

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely just your brother's department. My Sister-in-law works at NASA, also at Edwards AFB and she uses Internet Explorer. Though her company is technically a government contractor, they still have to work within NASA's rules.

You will find that many government agencies do not upgrade their software quickly and easily because of the costs involved. Most agencies keep their computers on a 10 year life span so even if the software is free, there is often a large cost in upgrading systems. I think this is mainly the reason why Netscape 4.XX is still the second most used browser in the world today.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with Wayne. You'll also see longer lifespans for software at schools. My old college has just now been upgrading to IE5 (or 5.5 maybe, not sure) after having Netscape 4 on their computers for the last five to six years. This is only because of many recent system purchases; it's easier to just use IE5 when the new systems coming in are all OSX or Windows 2000.

--Vinnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    I think this is mainly the reason why Netscape 4.XX is still the second most used browser in the world today.

What do you mean? IE 5 5.5 and 6 are well above NS4.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5+ is lumped together as the number one browser used in the world. THis includes 6. There isn't much difference between 5 and 6.

Netscape Navigator 4.XX comes in at second with 3% of the market roughly.

Mozilla, Netscape 6+ and all their cousins hold about 1.1 percent of the Market.

Finally of the appreciable browsers, Opera comes in last at a little less than 1%

Everything else has neglible impact on these statistics.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a trend I doubt will change anytime soon seeing as how your average jane/joe user buys an e-machines $300 rebate computer from Best Buy with Windows XP and MS IE 6 installed on it and doesn't realize that there is such thing as a browser, much less that they can change the browser they use. Especially since they got such a great deal with 36 months of MSN.

Jason
    ><>
    "Do what you love and love what you do, anything else is just some form of slavery" - Royal Robbins

long gone but not forgotten AljapaCo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to see that it's not only here in Sweden where some companies force their emplyoers to use NN4....

I've worked with some banks and other major companies where they ALL have to use NN4, because their intranets are designed for this and then any renovation of the intranet of course has to be designed for NN4 and on and on and on...

I must say that I HATE NN4!!! and personally never care to check the sites I create in this dinosaur browser anymore...

Ok, maybe some 3% still use it, but then again, if everyone continues to make their sites 100% NN4 compatible, they will probably never change browser...

These days there are several options for folks that dispise M$ for some reason and about slow modems and download times, well... there are computer mags out there who provide a free CD with the latest browsers etc and Opera6 might be the very best option for someone with a slow modem!

Arrrgh, I can't believe we're still discussing a browser that was created back in 98-99 and where at least two versions have followed where the NN7 is very good!

T.
    T O B I A S - S T R A N D H | visit my site here
    OPERA7 /MSIE6 /FireFox 1.1/Win2000 /ADSL /17" Screen /1024x768
    god doesn't create genius, he clones me.............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Netscape 4 at NASA

Originally posted by p2ranger
    My brother works for NASA out at Edwards AFB. He tells me that they are forced to use Nestcape 4 at work, much to many engineer's dislikes.

Just thought I'd put it out there incase anyone is designing pages that may be used by NASA people. I don't know if this is throughout NASA or just at Edwards.

Jason
    ><>
    I hope this philosopy doesnt apply to the space shuttle as well!
    So much for cutting edge technology.

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually yes it does apply to the space shuttle. Your home PC , heck probably you PDA has more computing power than the computers on the space shuttle. They still use reel to reel tapes to load data on the space shuttle. Don't forget it was developed in the '70s and '80s

Jason
    ><>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rings and cancels his reservation on the next shuttle flight ......

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Netscape 4 at NASA

Originally posted by tommatthews

I hope this philosopy doesnt apply to the space shuttle as well!
    So much for cutting edge technology.
    The space shuttle were built in the Late 1970s and 1980s. So that should tell you what the technology was like.

When the Enterprise first flew, it had on board these new high-tech 8087 processors. The last retrofit upgraded them to pentium class. However, since they run proprietary systems and oses, without GUI's and such they are perfectly capably of running the systems to fly the machines. Most of the instructions it needs are fed to it from super computers in Houston and Florida.

For tests, they can use laptops so that isn't a problem when number crunching is really involved.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------