SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is registration really neccessary?

I'm developing a small forum of my own, for my site only. It's going to be a really basic forum without all the fancy stuff (polls, categories (okay, this is not fancy, but still...), etc.)

Now, I wasn't planning of implementing a registration process... Is that a good idea? Will more users post if I don't require registration? Because I have a forum software that requires registration currently and the number of the posts and users is really REALLY small...

What do you think? Is registration really neccessary?

Thanx!
    zweistein.web - tips&tricks for webmasters, music, programming, computers, Python, etc. new!!! English version, too!
    email | ICQ: 161202879 | AIM: zweistein2169

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, what does the Croatian laws say? Strange question? No, because if the law says that you (the owner) is responsible for what is posted in the forum(s), then disabling anonymous posts is a way to stop unwanted material (at least registered users are less likely to do so)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jofa
    Hmm, what does the Croatian laws say? Strange question? No, because if the law says that you (the owner) is responsible for what is posted in the forum(s), then disabling anonymous posts is a way to stop unwanted material (at least registered users are less likely to do so)
    I must admit I was surprised by that question, but it makes sense... Sincerely, I don't know what does the Croatian law say about that... I'll check, thank you!
    zweistein.web - tips&tricks for webmasters, music, programming, computers, Python, etc. new!!! English version, too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it to begin, but I recommend requiring registration as soon as you can because it's just too easy for problems to arise when you have little or no control over unregistered users. It is too easy to impersonate others and difficult ban detrimental members with no registration. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by mjames; Jan 1, 2003 at 11:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    You can do it to begin, but I recommend requiring registration as soon as you can because it's just too easy for problems to arise when you have little or no control over unregistered users. It is too easy to impersonate others and difficult ban detrimental members with no registration. Just my two cents.
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, keep the registered, I hate seeing Unregistered on vBulletin although it is quite funny when a registered user has the name Unregistered ;). Still don't lock view of the site, I hate that! :)
    - website

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since your forum sounds like it'll be fairly small I'd say no. If you want to foster any sense of community than I'd say yes. Really depends on what you're going for.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i recommend to allow anonymous posters too. at my site (see signature) it's also allowed and it's very good to attract new users who will probably register themselves after a while if they are satisfied with you forum.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if you made it 'look' like registration wasn't required, but when they clicked to make a reply/new message, it would ask for a name and a password (assumming it was the first time) along with the message. This way, the registration would be done in the same step as posting the first message. Registration for me has always been a turn off to using a forum - too much effort to get me out of lurking mode for the first time.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed if you get a good user base who posts good, meaningful topics then the guests will register just so they can get in on the action.

My site had 20 users to start and is now up to 115 (I started the site less than a week ago). It is because we had people who posted and were welcoming of others.