Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Educational Website

Hello again, world!

I was recently asked to create a website for my high school - replacing a very old and antiquated one. I took the opportunity to deviate from my normal, graphically intensive website approach to experiment with creating clean and sleek content areas. What think you?

As others are still working adding content, it isn't online yet. So, I attached is the design, or you may view it on my Dropbox.

Thanks in advance!

Design.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the picture of the school in the header. Unfortunately you don't show the source code or other pages.
    You can put it up with a special name (temporary) so we can view it (let us know the secret name).
    Then we should be able to give it a proper review.
    -
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty nice, connor. Just one thing to watch out for is text that doesn't contrast enough with the background. The text in the footer, for example, will be very hard for some people to read.

Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by navyfalcon View Post
    Unfortunately you don't show the source code or other pages.
    It's fine to ask for a review just of a visual. It's up to the OP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Header section banner is very fine. If you could add some texts on left and right side of your banner its look n feel would be more attractive.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it is kind of "ok" the site is imo failing to satisfy customer needs.
    Before we can talk about design answer few questions to yourself Why would anyone want to visit a website of a school? What is this man / woman looking for? What do they want to do?

Then check how is your design helping them. Are important things easy to spot? Is content entertaining enough? Can people do something on the main page besides reading? Is it giving an edge to this school compared to other schools in this region?

The way i see it atm: big image text text news random text some more grey text tiny headlines no buttons of any kind.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks super to me.

I really like the use of a carousel in the header - you could run a school photography/art competition each month - the winner has there photo in the header. But pictures of school life / buildings makes it interesting too.

The layout and graphics are excellent (in my opinion!)
    Brigzy

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks pretty good. Slider looks good, upcoming events part looks good (you may think of using another arrow here), calendar is the best. I'm not sure how are you planning to integrate that calendar, google calendar or a function from library but calendars are very useful.

Good job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,I have gone through your website and it looks awesome,its really having such a professional look.content,logo every thing fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks classy. I like the look. The only thing I would change is the footer. Those links don't show very well.
    Maarten

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The look is cool and professional - I like it. Maybe I would add some small images next to each news but that is only if someone can provide them. I love the links under the slider. Good job!
    http://www.yourshoutbox.com <- FREE chat for your website - limited offer
    http://www.smartchatbox.com <- let your visitors talk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it looks quite okay to me, although I am not a very experienced web designer. But I agree with maartenvr about that footer. Also, I am pretty sure social media can do great for school and college websites, so maybe you should try to integrate a couple of social media accounts. Of course, for this you have to check with your school board and see if they agree with it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is very attractive and it perfectly fits the educational theme. Website is clean, darker colors give needed weight. The dark red color gives the special feeling of a traditional school / university / educational center. Well done by a graphic designer!

Please PM me the web designer's contact, it would be good to have.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of my comments may have more to do with your client than you, but for what they're worth, I'll throw them out there.

First, it's a customary thing to include a tab or link to a Principal's Newsletter or welcome message from the Head of School (whatever the title might be for that particular organization). I understand that may not be content you have yet, or they may not desire it, but I would consider having room for it, since it's a common feature.

Second, I think it's tricky to have separate tabs for students and parents, because much of the information will be repeated in both sections. School starting/closing times, links to the school handbook, extra-curricular activity lists--these are all examples of things that could reasonably interest both audiences. Again, I understand this is dictated by your client, but as you set up the navigation, it might be something to consider.

The visual effect of the design looks great, as usual. :-)
    www.conversationpieceslearning.org
    Enrichment Ideas and Activities for Teachers and Students
    www.youcancreate.org
    Daily Creative Challenges for People Like You

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the original site? http://www.pensacolahighschool.org/ If it is.. replace it now!!!!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks very very good. If I had control on the content then I would add Forum sections for students to ask questions. For example, you can create a topic for each class then have the student participate by asking questions. I would even go far as using facebook login. Basically, I would make it more then a simple information site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, and thanks for all the feedback! The site is now live at http://phsibsupport.org/, and I've incorporated many of your suggestions on there. The sidebar is currently rather empty until we get the school newspaper up and running, hopefully next month.

To answer a question above, the main purpose of the site is to provide information for current IB students as well as prospective students and parents.

The http://www.pensacolahighschool.org/ is the website, but of the non-IB part of the school (we're kind of a school within a school). That's probably not going to change, but it's gotten better, believe me. It used to be a black background with red and bright blue text.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice and professional website. However the headings seem rather small and it is rather wordy for the homepage of a website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great to me ... I like colors and the structure of the website! I would like to see the functionality of the site!
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit odd to post a lorum epsum png version as it effectively only allows judgement of the photo and the page's colour.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If by photo and color you mean the overall website design then yes, you are correct.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall the site looks very nice. The colors mesh very well. I also agree headings could be larger. Great Job!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As it's a school website , so design is not a major fact. Content is the matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's perfect for an educational website. It clearly resembles some of the Ivy league uni's out there. Although the main area is a bit empty and white, I would add a few images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your site and your site image both are looks well....

its design is prety good

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice and attractive layout and design. upcoming events part looks really good along with calender attached.

After seeing your working site, I would like to add some points from my front:

- When click on View Calendar, Instead of taking on new page you can display it on below the button on same page for quick review.
    - Login could be separate (may be at top of the page next to search)

Keep up the good work with proper contents.