SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen on several WebSite that they are protected so no one can download graphics by Right-Clicking. Can anyone advise how this is accomplished?

Please e-mail me at srscherr@home.com

Thanks,

Steve Scherr
    Steve Scherr
    srscherr@home.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll reply so everyone can beiefit from one person's knowledge...after all these are forums.

You cannot secure any Web page, no matter what. HTTP is an open standard and using cracking tools like telnet and the GET / command in HTTP can be used to uncover your page's code. Another common malicious attack is when they go to View->Source and read it there.

Don't waste your time on a false sense of security.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copyright infringement and protecting images & scripts on websites is going to be something that everyone with a website will be concerned about, if they aren't already now. I primarily work with photographers and they are extremely concerned about their images being 'right clicked away' and some are going so far are being hesitant about even having a website made for their studio. They need assurance but it is hard to guarantee protection...

Disabling 'right clicks' only discourages the casual webster but are very easy for any experienced web programmer to get around. But new advancements will always be in the works as web designers and businesses protect their work on the internet.

Content Guard seems like it has potential in protecting website content, utilizing tracking usages and is something to keep watching for future new developments.

...and Digimarc although not fool proof at least has the ability to track those that 'right click' your images. "About Digimarc"

Your best bet as far as images go, is to add watermarks to your images via PhotoShop or other graphic program, keep as low a resolution as possible as the print quality will never be the same as the original and/or imbed your images into your webpage...BUT nothing is infallible in terms of securing your images/scripts. You want to be able to initially deter as many as you can so that it is not worth their time to stay at you site and try to copy your work.

But I still would put a 'Disables Images Right Click' on my site even thought it won't prevent everyone from possibly taking your images, it will at least deter some...at least until better options become available! Please Note - Disables 'right click' for images only, not entire right click functions.

[Edited by WebKat on 09-13-2000 at 01:14 AM]
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I still would put a 'Right Click Disabler' on my site even thought it won't prevent everyone from possibly taking your images, it will at least deter some...at least until better options become available!
    I never visit a website that has this installed twice. It could have really wonderful content and I'll go somewhere else. I am sure a lot of other people do as well. The reason being is I live by my right mouse button. The context menus are great at providing features besides saving pictures. I use it to navigate, print, define words, create a list of all links on the page, find related sites, search on keywords, add a site to my favorites and a lot of other useful utilities. Destroying the right click destroys functionality of the browser.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I do that too! I hate sites with the right-click disabler and I rarely save an image. And if I do than it is a logo of some kindof of product which can come in handy in the future. (like the IE logo or the Flash4 logo,...).

Christophe

ps: and if I really want an image I just hit the edit icon in the menu bar search for the image go to the location of the image and save it there

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    **FYI** I was referring to disabling the 'image' right click only, not disabling the entire right click function!

The link that I mentioned on my previous post is designed to - 'Disable Images Right Click' - for individual images on a web page...not for disabling your entire right click functions!

This script will keep all your right click functions BUT you will not be able to right click individual images and you can create a comment such as 'Sorry, you don't have permission to right click' that will be shown when the image is clicked. This script works with 4.0+ Browsers and is also found at JavaScript Source. These preventative scripts are not infallible but can deter casual visitors...

The reason that I mentioned 'Right Click' disabling is that I have dealt with photographers, their professional organizations and their extreme fear of copyright loss of their photographic images. The question posted was about ways of protecting graphics/images on websites and my post discussed ways of doing this - good or bad. I always inform photographer clients of the various limitations for these types of scripts and the 'expert' ways that can be used to go around this feature. But if using this type of script gives them even some sense of 'security' about their images, then so be it...

[Edited by WebKat on 09-12-2000 at 07:01 PM]
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post WebKat. I knew there was a Perl script for preventing other sites from image linking, just couldn't remember where.

And I guess for the sake of clarity, it should be pointed out that one JS is called No Right Click which has a pop-up widow warning and one is called Disable Images Click. Hopefully that will clear up any confusion.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, that script isn't so bad. Easy to circumvent though. Simply left-click and hold down the button, while holding down the left button click the right. Let go of the left button then the right and the menu pops up properly.

As time goes on you will see better protection of one's property on the Internet. Digital Watermarking is by far the best technology in use today.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------