SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been trying to make one big image for my site and then take that cut it up so that its not all one big image to download. I have tried using the Crop tool, but usually after i crop the part that i want to make a smaller part of the big image its hard to get right next to the place where I already cropped...I hope i'm making sense.

Anyways, does anyone have a better way of doing this? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

speedracer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard way:

Select File|Preferences|General Program Preferences from the Menu bar. Select Rulers and Units from the dialog box and select Pixels, a color and the spacing you want. The last 2 are for grids, which you won't need now, but might later.

Then, with a graphic open (can be a new blank one) select View|Rulers from the Menu bar. You should now have rulers on the top and left sides of your open images.

Now, when you make your cuts you can use the ruler to determine roughly where you are in the graphic when you make your selections. In the lower left corner of the window are the actual positions. You can remember (or write down) the coordinates so you can match them later.

Easy way:

Go download the Beta of PSP 7, which comes with its own image slicer that does image rollovers and everything. Much easier, and it generates the table code for you as well.

hth

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you also have PhotoShop 5.5 you will find that it includes Image Ready 2.0, which also has a very good 'Image Slicer' that generates an HTML table and places each slice in its own table cell. When you divide an image into slices, you can optimize each slice in the image with different optimization settings and even create links & rollover effects.

Your Best Bet is to use a graphic program, whether PaintShop, Image Ready or a freeware program so that you can create your images slices with a few clicks making it so much easier...such as using this "Free Image Slicer" which was designed by Coffee Cup Software.
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to you both for helping out. I'm going with PSP beta 7 for now. If it doesnt help me out much i will try adobe.

speedracer