I've been quite happy with jQuery simplemodal. With two little exceptions:
1. Having troubles making the focus properly move into the modal/lightbox. Possibly on account of...
2. The script adding a tabindex of -1 to one of the modals containing divs
I like the way Graham's solution moves focus to the lightboxes close button - then back to the original anchor when closed.
However I don't like how some of the other features that you'd expect from a lightbox don't work. For example:
- Cursor left and right for previous and next photos
- Esc/X/C keys to close the lightbox (what I'd consider to be the 'other standard exit methods' that are mentioned in WCAG2 2.1.2
- click on greyed-out background to close lightbox.