Thread: Site makeover

SitePoint Zealot Dogs and things's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site makeover

Hello,

Some years ago I managed to do a nice reconstruction of my website. With the help and advice of some very helpful persons I turned it into a pretty satisfactory xhtml and css fixed width design. In those days 800x600 was still a very common resolution among my public. A year ago I added a mobile version using jQuery Mobile and Tera-WURFL while for my phpBB forum I developed a mobile template. jQuery Mobile seems pretty good to me, what do you think about jQuery Mobile, do you recommend me to continue using it, do I need it or can I achieve the same mobile adaptability using just html and css?

For some time (to be honest, for too long) I have been thinking about updating the whole site, bringing it up to modern day standards, thinking in the first place about making it adaptive to more screen resolutions. I have spend the last couple of days reading some interesting articles, amongst others the Definitive FAQ on Screen Resolution right here.

I'm starting this topic because I don't see things clear and want to avoid doing a lot of useless work. I prefer to start working in the proper direction. I won´t mind doing a thorough remake.

My first question is: What do you recommend me to do with the site in my signature, step-wise, thinking about bringing it up to modern standards?

Greetings.
    Spanish site on dog behaviour and education and a foro de perros.
    *Not so recently reconstructed but functioning pretty nicely*

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site has many articles, so I suggest you focus on doing what makes the text easy to read on the full variety of devices.

Personally I think that responsive designs are worthwhile just because they still work no matter what size device they start selling next year - finally an end to updating every few years to match new devices.

If many of your readers are older, I also suggest that the new design allows people to zoom up (increase) the text size. Reading tiny text with bifocals is a major pain.

I did switch your site to english, but noticed as I moved around the site that pieces switched back to spanish - especially the mail navigation bar.

Good luck on your project!

SitePoint Zealot Dogs and things's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for your interest.

I believe that's just what I am asking for, pointers on how to switch this site to a responsive design.

Actually I do have a a text-resizer installed, but it seems you missed that, there´s a * and a - icon on the left, below the search box.

Now that you mentioned it, it's true that the google translation switches back to spanish on every page change.
    Spanish site on dog behaviour and education and a foro de perros.
    *Not so recently reconstructed but functioning pretty nicely*