SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    408
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    META TAGS for SEO

    Hey All

    I came across a couple of META TAGS yesterday that I have never seen before.

    I have done a bit of a search and have not found much information on them.

    They are servicing area and classification.

    Are these worth using? Do they have much weight for SEO?

    Also I am curious... what set of META TAGS do you use for SEO?

    mrmbarnes

  2. #2
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,892
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmbarnes View Post
    I came across a couple of META TAGS yesterday that I have never seen before.

    I have done a bit of a search and have not found much information on them.

    They are servicing area and classification.

    Are these worth using? Do they have much weight for SEO?

    Also I am curious... what set of META TAGS do you use for SEO?
    Not sure what you mean by "servicing area and classification" ... can you give us an example?

    The only <meta> tag that I know of being useful for SEO is the description. It doesn't have any effect on where your site appears in the rankings, but it does mean that you can hope to control what is displayed in the snippet under the page title. Some people like to use the keywords tag as well, but this has minimal impact – if it uses words that don't feature in the content then search engines will ignore it, all it does is give them a hint as to which words from the content are the most important, but to be honest if search engines can't figure that out for themselves then the chances are that your page is sp badly written and coded that all you're doing is putting a sticking plaster on a broken limb.

    I'm not aware of any other <meta> tags that search engines take into consideration.

    Off Topic:

    I've moved this thread to Internet Marketing, which is where we have discussions about SEO

  3. #3
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    408
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I found yesterday:

    <meta name="description" content="Carpet Cleaning Melbourne Bayside Area and also Provides Upholstery Cleaning, Rug Cleaning. Moris Chem Dry is trained and professional carpet cleaners" />

    <meta name="keywords" content="Carpet Cleaning, Carpet Cleaning Melbourne, Upholstery cleaning Melbourne, Rug Cleaning Melbourne, Carpet Cleaners Melbourne, Upholstery Cleaners Melbourne, pet urine removal,flood water damage, leather cleaning, mattress cleaning, tile and grouts cleaning, carpet stain removal " />

    <meta name="servicing area" content="Melbourne, Bentleigh, Brighton vic, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Braeside, Caulfield, Chadstone, Carnegie, Clayton, Clarinda, Cheltenham, Dingley Village, Elsternwick, Elwood, Edithvale, Glenhuntly, Glen Iris, Gardenvale, Hughesdale, Huntingdale, Heatherton, Highett, Hampton, Kooyong, Malvern, Murrumbeena, McKinnon, Moorabbin, Mentone, Mordialloc, Notting Hill, Oakleigh, Ormond, Parkdale, Ripponlea, St Kilda East, Bayside, Sandringham" />

    <meta name="distribution" content="Melbourne, Victoria, Australia">

    <meta name="classification" content="carpet cleaning, steam cleaning, upholstery cleaning, Carpet Dry Cleaning, stain removal, rug cleaning, commercial carpet cleaning, protection and sanitising, dust mite anti allergen, leather couch cleaning, pet urine removal treatment, mattress, auto interiors" >

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless they're appealing to a specific service that reads those tags [i.e. not a major engine but a specific site like Facebook's sharing meta data] that's not adding any value. It is however a great way to identify who is trying to "SEO" themselves.
    - Ted S

  5. #5
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what particular meta tags have you come across with? the meta tags are vital for any on-page SEO. You can simply insert the major keyword/s of your site in the tags for Google to catch up. Chances are, your site might come up when people search about your keywords, especially if they're placed in the meta tags.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ng_Xen View Post
    what particular meta tags have you come across with? the meta tags are vital for any on-page SEO. You can simply insert the major keyword/s of your site in the tags for Google to catch up. Chances are, your site might come up when people search about your keywords, especially if they're placed in the meta tags.
    Google has never used the meta keyword tag for general sites and while the description tag shows up in some search results as body text that's hardly going to make you rank for a term on its own.
    - Ted S

  7. #7
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,892
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    Google has never used the meta keyword tag for general sites and while the description tag shows up in some search results as body text that's hardly going to make you rank for a term on its own.
    Although Google says that it doesn't use the keywords tag, some recent studies have suggested that it can make a small difference to the positioning of your site. Essentially, it helps Google to understand which words in the content of your page you are targeting, and prioritises the site more for those words than others. It goes without saying that spamming the keywords tag with phrases, sentences or more than about 8–10 words is not going to help you at all, and nor will using words that are not clearly relevant to the page content.

    The description tag is used purely to generate the snippet on the SERPs, it is not used at all in the ranking algorithm. But that doesn't mean that it isn't a crucial tag to use!

  8. #8
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,892
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmbarnes View Post
    Here is what I found yesterday:

    <meta name="description" content="Carpet Cleaning Melbourne Bayside Area and also Provides Upholstery Cleaning, Rug Cleaning. Moris Chem Dry is trained and professional carpet cleaners" />

    <meta name="keywords" content="Carpet Cleaning, Carpet Cleaning Melbourne, Upholstery cleaning Melbourne, Rug Cleaning Melbourne, Carpet Cleaners Melbourne, Upholstery Cleaners Melbourne, pet urine removal,flood water damage, leather cleaning, mattress cleaning, tile and grouts cleaning, carpet stain removal " />

    <meta name="servicing area" content="Melbourne, Bentleigh, Brighton vic, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Braeside, Caulfield, Chadstone, Carnegie, Clayton, Clarinda, Cheltenham, Dingley Village, Elsternwick, Elwood, Edithvale, Glenhuntly, Glen Iris, Gardenvale, Hughesdale, Huntingdale, Heatherton, Highett, Hampton, Kooyong, Malvern, Murrumbeena, McKinnon, Moorabbin, Mentone, Mordialloc, Notting Hill, Oakleigh, Ormond, Parkdale, Ripponlea, St Kilda East, Bayside, Sandringham" />

    <meta name="distribution" content="Melbourne, Victoria, Australia">

    <meta name="classification" content="carpet cleaning, steam cleaning, upholstery cleaning, Carpet Dry Cleaning, stain removal, rug cleaning, commercial carpet cleaning, protection and sanitising, dust mite anti allergen, leather couch cleaning, pet urine removal treatment, mattress, auto interiors" >
    There's no mention of those tags on Google Webmaster Central, which I can only assume means that they don't use them. Those tags may be used by an internal document management system or search engine, or another external search engine. In terms of the keywords tag, that would be ignored by Google as they have completely ignored the guidance on how to use it – 8–10 words maximum, no phrases (other than where the words only come in pairs), no repetition.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in Google Meta tags like Keywords and Description dont affect your pages ranking and never have (and ive been doing seo since 1998 so i know)

    meta description can help with clickthrough rates for your listing so best to put those in but i wouldnt bother with keywords

    tags like refresh, nocache, noindex and others do help you control a users experience and/or how search engines perceive your website but again they dont have any influence on ranking.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Description, keyword and similar tags by themselves won't rank your site higher. You can fill the tags up any way you want, but if they don't match the content of your site, you won't rank higher and even run a small risk of attracting Google's wrath for “fiddling”.
    If you are running a business in a specific area, the geo tags are of almost vital importance.
    However, if your site does not have useful and unique content, no amount of whitehat seo will rank you #1.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmbarnes View Post
    Here is what I found yesterday:

    <meta name="description" content="Carpet Cleaning Melbourne Bayside Area and also Provides Upholstery Cleaning, Rug Cleaning. Moris Chem Dry is trained and professional carpet cleaners" />

    <meta name="keywords" content="Carpet Cleaning, Carpet Cleaning Melbourne, Upholstery cleaning Melbourne, Rug Cleaning Melbourne, Carpet Cleaners Melbourne, Upholstery Cleaners Melbourne, pet urine removal,flood water damage, leather cleaning, mattress cleaning, tile and grouts cleaning, carpet stain removal " />

    <meta name="servicing area" content="Melbourne, Bentleigh, Brighton vic, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Braeside, Caulfield, Chadstone, Carnegie, Clayton, Clarinda, Cheltenham, Dingley Village, Elsternwick, Elwood, Edithvale, Glenhuntly, Glen Iris, Gardenvale, Hughesdale, Huntingdale, Heatherton, Highett, Hampton, Kooyong, Malvern, Murrumbeena, McKinnon, Moorabbin, Mentone, Mordialloc, Notting Hill, Oakleigh, Ormond, Parkdale, Ripponlea, St Kilda East, Bayside, Sandringham" />

    <meta name="distribution" content="Melbourne, Victoria, Australia">

    <meta name="classification" content="carpet cleaning, steam cleaning, upholstery cleaning, Carpet Dry Cleaning, stain removal, rug cleaning, commercial carpet cleaning, protection and sanitising, dust mite anti allergen, leather couch cleaning, pet urine removal treatment, mattress, auto interiors" >

    This kind of meta tag helps Google for find your website location base.

  12. #12
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,374
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joy89 View Post
    This kind of meta tag helps Google for find your website location base.
    Strange - Google doesn't mention any of those tags when explaining how they check your location. http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=62399

    By far the easiest way to notify Google of your target location is to set it in Webmaster Tools.


  13. #13
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always, I would suggest not to concentrate more on the META data content.

    Once you have a one line information about your company and services with your major product names or keywords, you can add it to your title or description tag of your homepage.

    Some add keywords to the title and company information to their description. I would say, even this would do better. Always give information for the visitor or searcher and get their interest, they would automatically click on your link once they are interested.

    Make sure you have the best words visible on your META in the Search engine listing. Other than this, you dont have to worry much on META data.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    Google has never used the meta keyword tag for general sites and while the description tag shows up in some search results as body text that's hardly going to make you rank for a term on its own.
    hmm... I've never thought about this or heard or read. So this means you won't actually rank when you use meta tags? That's quite a shocker, although, in my opinion, meta tags are just one of the many ways you can help your site rank. I guess that alone won't bring you to the top. In the end, it's still the combination of all on-page and off-page factors.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ng_Xen View Post
    hmm... I've never thought about this or heard or read. So this means you won't actually rank when you use meta tags? That's quite a shocker, although, in my opinion, meta tags are just one of the many ways you can help your site rank. I guess that alone won't bring you to the top. In the end, it's still the combination of all on-page and off-page factors.
    SEO is not an exact science as the exact formulas are not known. Clearly the description tag plays into some description listings and it's certainly possible they look at others to understand what context you say you're about. Meta tags required honesty and when there's money at stake honesty isn't much of anything.

    But no, adding a bunch of meta tags on their own will not get you any sort of ranking. Hasn't worked that way for over a decade.
    - Ted S

  16. #16
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    ...I'm not aware of any other <meta> tags that search engines take into consideration.
    I am. For example:
    Geo tags.
    Propietory tags
    Microdata

    But I suspect that the op is more thinking along the lines of the oldend days where clever use of things like "keyword metatags" and the likes would propel your site to the top. The answer to that one is: forget it.

  17. #17
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,892
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benbob View Post
    I am. For example:
    Geo tags.
    Propietory tags
    Microdata
    Can you give any more detail about HOW search engines use those tags? Are you talking about public search engines like Google or custom site searches? I'm particularly intrigued as to how Google might use proprietary meta tags...

  18. #18
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google increase the "trust value" if your pages are linked to your identity for example.
    Mircro data work the same way.
    Geo tags increase the importance of the site for nearby isp's or mobile devices and reduce it for long distance.

  19. #19
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    SEO is not an exact science as the exact formulas are not known. Clearly the description tag plays into some description listings and it's certainly possible they look at others to understand what context you say you're about. Meta tags required honesty and when there's money at stake honesty isn't much of anything.

    But no, adding a bunch of meta tags on their own will not get you any sort of ranking. Hasn't worked that way for over a decade.
    right! i remember that you actually rank based on the votes you get. Votes mean backlinks - quality backlinks. Now that Google seems to be a hawk on sites having a bunch of them (most probably those who have unnatural links), it's tougher to get better results with backlinking. This is why, IMO, people are more leaning towards on-page seo and creating more unique and not overly optimized contents.

    "Meta tags required honesty and when there's money at stake honesty isn't much of anything." - that's really funny! I see your point in there. LOL!

  20. #20
    SitePoint Member Miller76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hunter
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  21. #21
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mrmbarnes is right you need to use this method, but I want to tell you more about other tags,
    like ROBOTS Tag, Geo Tag
    both are very important

    Robots tag is important for Google Spider and is writter <meta name="robots" content="index, follow, all" />
    Geo tag is important for bing Search engine, and it targets your target country specially
    it is kept like

    <meta name="geo.region" content="US-NY" />
    <meta name="geo.position" content="35.119696;-89.938894" />
    <meta name="ICBM" content="35.119696, -89.938894" />

    it is New York Position.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmbarnes View Post
    Here is what I found yesterday:

    <meta name="description" content="Carpet Cleaning Melbourne Bayside Area and also Provides Upholstery Cleaning, Rug Cleaning. Moris Chem Dry is trained and professional carpet cleaners" />

    <meta name="keywords" content="Carpet Cleaning, Carpet Cleaning Melbourne, Upholstery cleaning Melbourne, Rug Cleaning Melbourne, Carpet Cleaners Melbourne, Upholstery Cleaners Melbourne, pet urine removal,flood water damage, leather cleaning, mattress cleaning, tile and grouts cleaning, carpet stain removal " />

    <meta name="servicing area" content="Melbourne, Bentleigh, Brighton vic, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Braeside, Caulfield, Chadstone, Carnegie, Clayton, Clarinda, Cheltenham, Dingley Village, Elsternwick, Elwood, Edithvale, Glenhuntly, Glen Iris, Gardenvale, Hughesdale, Huntingdale, Heatherton, Highett, Hampton, Kooyong, Malvern, Murrumbeena, McKinnon, Moorabbin, Mentone, Mordialloc, Notting Hill, Oakleigh, Ormond, Parkdale, Ripponlea, St Kilda East, Bayside, Sandringham" />

    <meta name="distribution" content="Melbourne, Victoria, Australia">

    <meta name="classification" content="carpet cleaning, steam cleaning, upholstery cleaning, Carpet Dry Cleaning, stain removal, rug cleaning, commercial carpet cleaning, protection and sanitising, dust mite anti allergen, leather couch cleaning, pet urine removal treatment, mattress, auto interiors" >

  22. #22
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,374
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by same2cool View Post
    Robots tag is important for Google Spider and is writter <meta name="robots" content="index, follow, all" />
    In what way is this important? Robots directives are useful when you don't want a bot to crawl/index a particular page or directory of your site. The default behaviour for a search engine bot is to crawl and index every page, so instructions telling it to do what it was going to do anyway are just superfluous.


  23. #23
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to my knowledge on meta title and description, these two are helpful, meta keywords is also not helpful but we should include it as well, we don't know when the algorithm would change and what would happen in future.

    Meta tags related to service area, I think it is useless, your meta description works for this.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •