SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Content Duplicate

    Is there any tool to check duplicate content...?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,565
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Copyscape can check for duplicate text (not images). The free version only allows a limited number of checks per month. If you need to do large-scale checking, they have a couple of paid products that might be of interest.

    Mike

  3. #3
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There are several other similar tools that have been mentioned in different threads here. In fact, some even have luck using Google. Have a search through this forum and Internet Marketing (which is another forum here that often has copyright discussions).
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to be checking a lot of content (outsourcing or buying your articles) I would definitely recommend the Copyscape Premium, and it's actually pretty cheap.

  5. #5
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rb-james View Post
    If you are going to be checking a lot of content (outsourcing or buying your articles) I would definitely recommend the Copyscape Premium, and it's actually pretty cheap.
    It's very cheap. I spend $10.00 USD a year on it and rarely use all of them year to year. Each searched url just costs 5 cents. I don't mind that they expire though, the service is well worth it and I am happy to support it.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member SmilingAnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have specific soft you can just take several phrases of a text and paste it in quotes in Google search. If there is any text like your one you'll quickly know where it is taken from

  7. #7
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spyfu.com

  8. #8
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,220
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notx88 View Post
    spyfu.com
    For checking duplicate content? Really? I thought it was a keyword checker/tracker.

  9. #9
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    For checking duplicate content? Really? I thought it was a keyword checker/tracker.
    It is and more importantly the site has a red WOT (Web of Trust) rating so beware if you go there to check it out.

    @notx88 ; Welcome to the forum and we hope you enjoy your membership here. However, please be sure your posts are inline with the guidelines of each area you visit at SitePoint. This is the Content area and we focus on content for visitors here, not keywords or SEO. You can find guidelines and announcements for each forum at the top of that area's section as well as stickied Important! in each forum.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member Michael27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  11. #11
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content is the life of a website which makes it informative from user point of view.Content should be genuine and free of duplication. Duplication or copying the content is a crime and should be strictly avoided.There are several tools to check plagiarism or duplicate content like:

    * copyscape.com
    * techmaish.com
    * articlechecker.com
    * webconfs.com

  12. #12
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rather than provide a list of tools, now that we all know they are out there, if you have something special to say about the features of a certain tool you use, go ahead and say it. However, this is a discussion forum, not a favorites list. Further lists will be deleted from this thread and will result in the closing of the thread.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  13. #13
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    4331 Horner Street Youngstown
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently I used plagspotter.com for free. Pretty good one.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Srrhomes View Post
    Is there any tool to check duplicate content...?
    There are several, but why would you want to risk your brand with duplicating content at all?

  15. #15
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMcopywriting View Post
    There are several, but why would you want to risk your brand with duplicating content at all?
    Many writers use tools to check and see if their content has been plagiarized. I also use copyscape to be sure that what I write for clients is completely original and has not been worded similarly by someone else.

    Moreover, when you are are writing articles from research, it is easy to sometimes mistakenly quote or paraphrase something you have researched. It may be just a phrase that has stuck in your mind, but you may want to be sure that you do't use it unless you have the author's written permission to use it.

    I have also had clients ask me to use certain taglines and after looking them up, found them repeated on several competitors' websites. People who don't write for a living often don't understand what plagiarism is and the threat to their business it holds.

    So there are many reasons to use duplicate content checkers, besides intentional duplication of content.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  16. #16
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Many writers use tools to check and see if their content has been plagiarized. I also use copyscape to be sure that what I write for clients is completely original and has not been worded similarly by someone else.

    Moreover, when you are are writing articles from research, it is easy to sometimes mistakenly quote or paraphrase something you have researched. It may be just a phrase that has stuck in your mind, but you may want to be sure that you do't use it unless you have the author's written permission to use it.

    I have also had clients ask me to use certain taglines and after looking them up, found them repeated on several competitors' websites. People who don't write for a living often don't understand what plagiarism is and the threat to their business it holds.

    So there are many reasons to use duplicate content checkers, besides intentional duplication of content.
    I am very familiar with this concept, and yes that is a good reason to use a plagiarism checker BUT it's most often used to check spun content for percentage of originality, so my point was that duplicating content is not worth risking your brand over. Content that is 100% original is written from scratch. If you are using external websites as a resource, it is okay to quote that site and provide proper citation. There seems to be a lot of confusion over what original or unique content truly means, and in my 8 years of experience writing for the web I can honestly say that when somebody needs to run copyscape to check for similarities, it means the paper is not truly unique or original.

  17. #17
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMcopywriting View Post
    I am very familiar with this concept, and yes that is a good reason to use a plagiarism checker BUT it's most often used to check spun content for percentage of originality, so my point was that duplicating content is not worth risking your brand over. Content that is 100% original is written from scratch. If you are using external websites as a resource, it is okay to quote that site and provide proper citation. There seems to be a lot of confusion over what original or unique content truly means, and in my 8 years of experience writing for the web I can honestly say that when somebody needs to run copyscape to check for similarities, it means the paper is not truly unique or original.
    You are correct that duplicating content is not worth risking your brand or that of your clients. When you research using 5 or more resources, as I do, it is easy to have a quote or paraphrase stick in your mind and it is not okay to quote or paraphrase with a citation unless you have the written permission of the author to do so. It never hurts to check. In my 12 years of experience writing for the web I have written and edited content for multiple contractors, garage owners, gardening sites, etc. and I always check to be sure that what I have written is 100% unique. It has nothing to do with spinning and everything to do with double checking to ensure that the integrity of my clients' content has not been compromised by me, them, or others.

    There are many uses for plagiarism checkers other than checking for duplicate content, but I would always rather be safe than sorry.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  18. #18
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, feeling bad for jumping to conclusions and voicing my moral objection to working with writers that require the use of a plagiarism tool. With that being said, it's better to use one than not to use one and yes- I do have one I use. It's free, up-to-date, and doesn't require a subscription or registration to use. So I do recommend: http://smallseotools.com/plagiarism-checker/

  19. #19
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    4331 Horner Street Youngstown
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMcopywriting View Post
    Content that is 100% original is written from scratch. I can honestly say that when somebody needs to run copyscape to check for similarities, it means the paper is not truly unique or original.
    You can start with 0, write unique content, from your point of view, which may coincide with a number of people around the world.
    Or someone could just hack into your laptop and you do not even know about it for example.
    That is why the two statements above are incorrect.

  20. #20
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    started last October, this thread has pretty much gone full-circle and is beginning to get repetitive.

    THREAD CLOSED
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •