SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Hard to find font effect..so, I'm assuming it's advanced?

I've been trying to find a certain font effect for over 4 months now. If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I would think it didn't exist. The problem is, I've been referred to so many diffrent tutorials for so many diffrent paint programs, I don't know what to look for. The designer of the graphics that features the text effect stated it was made with Photo Shop. I asked the designer about it, but she was reluctant to give any details, so I'm assuming she didn't want me to know =/ I then visited a few photoshop sites such as: http://www.photoshoproadmap.com, http://www.absolutecross.com/tutorials, and http://planetphotoshop.com to get some further input. After posting on numerous of forums and searching google.com I still found nothing. After posting at 4 diffrent forums (tutorialforums.com) I was referred countless of times to this: http://www.webclass.ru/tut.php?tut=205 which is not what I'm looking for. I was also told that the text effect wasn't made with Photoshop but with Paint Shop Pro. Shortly after, I was told it wasn't made with either, but with Photoimpact. After making no progress there, I then joined two psp/ps msn groups and 5 diffrent psp/ps yahoo groups and was referred to the same exact tutorials or the members didn't know what I was talking about At http://www.msn.groups.com/MonarchDesigns I was told that it was done with a Glass and Diamond effect. Another member then argued that it was done with a chrome and glass effect. Finally, the third debated that it was not only neither done with a chrome, glass, or dimaond effect, but a tube and brush To view the font effect I'm talking about, you can take a look at these graphics:

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/lady...peachie2k7.jpg
    http://likemikemovie.friendpages.com...ie/photo41.jpg
    http://likemikemovie.friendpages.com...ie/photo37.jpg
    http://likemikemovie.friendpages.com...ie/photo36.jpg

I am in no way trying to take credit for this! All of these graphics were made by Annette. I got the graphics from her sites which are located here I saved it to my server and uploaded it at on my ranchoweb.com account to prevent bandwidth stealing.

This is the final resource that I know of that might be able to find a solution to my problem If you can give any input, suggest a tutorial, or lend a helping hand, it would be appreciated. This certain text effect is essential to my layout, and personally I think it's really neat. So, if you can give ANY type of *EFFECTIVE* help, it would be more then greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Are you sleeping yet? lol
    webgeek_bOnnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I can't tell you how to replicate this effect exactly I will say that those who told you it was related to chrome and glass were on the right track (no idea how anyone got diamond though.)

One thing you may or may not have noticed is that a lot of the "shininess" was accomplished with some of the "glint" type brushes that ship with Photoshop.

There is a hard bevel in there somewhere. My guess is that the text was hard-beveled, then reduced to outlines, overlaid with a noisy texture which was then smoothed. After that, some high contrast Image>Adjust>Curves work was done for the chromey effect. Highlights were possibly brushed in with an airbrush. Then, the effect was finalised with the aforementioned "glint" brushes.

Another possibility is that something like this was used.

As I implied, this is all guesswork, but hopefully, it will send you on the right track. Hope this can be more help than your previous inquiries.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks anode!

I truly appreciate your honesty. The link you have me does look rather similar to the effect, so I'll try it out. Once again..thanks!!!
    webgeek_bOnnie

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a REALLY nice text effect. If you find out how to make it, please do post here. And anode - kudos to you for that link - VERY nice.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be more then happy to post it...IF I find it lol I won't give up though =/ I'll keep looking
    webgeek_bOnnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try out some of the ideas I gave you. I played with the idea for 15 minutes or so and got very close. The key is to do a chrome effect and make the curves part extremely erratic. This is no longer guesswork, but from experimentation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anode certainly is looking in the right direction, I've been experimenting a little and came fairly close but still not good enough.

The first 3 images are done in a way similar like Anode explained ( I think ) , the 4th image was done with autofx ( again > I think ).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, to be honest =/ You're talking complete French to me lol I'm a TOTAL newbie to Photoshop. Because I'm on an intermediate level in psp7 I thought it would be pretty much the same..but from the looks of it, it isn't.

Well, so far this is what I've got

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/lady...k/babygrl2.jpg
    it's not there..but it resembles SOME TYPE of effect that was applied to it lol
    webgeek_bOnnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's getting there.

I don't really understand why you're trying to replicate the effect exactly. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of creativity, doesn't it?

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks to me like it's a chrome effect. It could of been done with a 3rd party filter that's not available for Photoshop. This might be sacreligious but you can almost get the same effect on CoolText.com with the Chrome one or Chrome Two effect. That site uses the GIMP to make logos. A free graphics program.

I Hope you find what you're looking for
    Palmer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anode, don't get me wrong. In no way am I trying to be unoriginal. I've had the idea before I even discovered the graphics above, but when I would post it on other graphic forums, no one knew what I was talking about. Now that I have this, it only serves as an example. Some people tend to think because they brought it to the "public" first, no one else can do it..or anybody else with it or similar to it is being "unoriginal". I'm sure numerous of others has had the idea; but didn't have anything to serve as an example. Even with the examples it's still hard to get help..so I'm not trying to be unoriginal or "copy", I can even bet I had the idea before she did, I just didn't and still don't know how to do it. Thanks for putting that out there, but I'm not being unoriginal.

Anyway, thanks PalmerB, I'll check that out.
    webgeek_bOnnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like they've used an action, try the adobe studio

Ding Fries are Done! inter4design's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to me it looks like they used a chrome effect from a plugin or using a layer style then adding a pattern effect on top of it with a hard beveled edge on the font
    DoesItMatter
    - anyone seen my underwear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you looking for something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by webgeek_bOnnie
    ANY type of *EFFECTIVE* help .. would be more then greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
    I think it is pretty close anyway..

I started to type up how I did it but then I figured I'd better make sure that's what you're going for first. Basically I created the vector layer & duplicated it, applied my bevel & emboss with a bumpy gloss contour of 4px or so, inside bevel, hard chisel ... etc. on the first layer, then on the second layer (which I set to hard light & 75% opacity) I did another bevel and emboss with a wider bevel. Once I had it as I liked it I of course saved both layer styles as new styles so I can apply it to other text.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty good job of replicating the effect.

Hat's off to you.
    Asianca.com - Please join our online Asian community
    TorontoGunViolence.com - Speak up against the violence!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynics
    That's a pretty good job of replicating the effect. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hat's off to you.
    Thanks, I enjoyed the challenge.