I am not sure how to word this or what the technique is called? But i want to have a image that is in two <divs> that are side by side but the image looks like one whole image.
For instance in magazines or books on the front cover their one part of the image and on the back cover their is the other part of the continuing image. Also in magazines you will see a picture compete for space between two different section of a page like a picture that spans the header and body or a picture between two column paragraphs.

How do i go about doing this?
What is this technique called?
Is splitting the image between two divs the best way to achieve the look i am going for?

If you need more information i will try my best to provide it, but i am having a hard time trying to explain a visual style.