SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for ways to put a little finesse in my soon to be up site, and have noticed that these days a lot of sites use little icons and such like the ones seen at the top of this page on the right. I know that some have to be made, but not all of them are made by the person that designs the site. So is there a site that has these icons or what?

speedracer

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All or most of the icons have either been made by Sparkie or kyank (I think). The blue icons at the top right of these forums were made by Sparkie..

The way I see it, there are hundreds of sites offering free clip art and icons but if you use them then your site will be just another cookie made out of a Website Cookiecutter. I recommend strongly you make your own icons.

With that said and done, this site (free registration) offers excellent icons. http://www.arttoday.com/ and register for the free membership.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most sites build their icons using various Dingbat fonts, including the ones here in the forums. I suggest you go to various font download locations and look for a dingbat or picture font that fits your site and go from there. After that is done you can play with color, text and other options to create a unique look for your site.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wluke...Could you point us to some download locations that you recommend?
    Adam Turner adamturner@onlinenetworks.uk.com
    Free Web Tools at HomepageTools.com
    $15 Domains at HomepageNames.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emerald City Fontworks: A good variety of free and low cost picture fonts. Truly graphics in their own right but distributed as Fonts.

Fontastic: A wonderful collection of fonts. This long time site is usually my first stop when looking for a unique font for a project.

Legolas RPG Fonts: Having been into roleplaying and getting my start in building several gaming sites all of which are defunct now, I found this collection to be a wonderful treasure. My favorites include the elvish rune fonts based on Tolkien's languages.

Dingbat Pages: Containing nothing but dingbats and fontbats this site has a large variety to choose from.

For a great tutorial on how to use Dingbats as graphic elements throughout your site and to make your site look more professional check out Design Elements to Go by Wendy Peck. This is just one of her many great tutorials.

Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Wluke! I'll check em out.
    Adam Turner adamturner@onlinenetworks.uk.com
    Free Web Tools at HomepageTools.com
    $15 Domains at HomepageNames.com