User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with speeding up php code

Hi, I have this piece of code that checks if a live stream of a game is live or not. If it is live then it posts the players name who is streaming on a list where people can click to see his/her stream. The problem I am having is though is that it takes forever to load the page (probably because it takes so long to check the players streams). I was wondering if there was any way I could speed up the process and still keep what I want which is only the live users. Please, if you could answer with ease as I am still very new to this.

PHP Code:
    <?
    $chan 
    "";
    $streams = array( "meditor996""malidude""tacsecret""izual155""porkyhd""tachydro#""church_""tainttubes""kurimlinn""TacvFOX""tacpinkiepie""dkrstarcraft""chaoss tarcraft""thepandrexlive""zren89""1soulfire""sallvain""sg_goldster""adramelechii""dragon""dignitasselect""sing_sing""desrowfighting""eghuk""eg_idra""rootcatz""liquidsheth""spanishiwa""mtwdimaga""whitera""meditor996""colqxc""kraglord""tsm_dyrus""nyjacky""crs_saintvicious""tsm_theoddone""mstephano""protech""tacmoose" );

echo 
    '<br><br><font color="white"><b>Live User Streams:</b></font>';  
    foreach (
    $streams as &$i) {
    $chan "http://api.justin.tv/api/stream/list.json?channel=" $i;
    $json = @file_get_contents($chan);
    $exist strpos($json'name');
    if(
    $exist) {

$channelName "$i"//Set this to the channel name - all lowercase
    $json_file = @file_get_contents("http://api.justin.tv/api/stream/list.json?channel={$channelName}"0nullnull);
    $json_array json_decode($json_filetrue);
    if (
    $json_array[0]['name'] == "live_user_{$channelName}")

$live true;
    else

$live false;

/*$gameSTR = "(" . $game . ")";*/
    $userLINK "<a href=\"http://www.twitch.tv/$i \" target=_blank title=$channelTitle style='color: #C0C0C0'>";

echo 
    "<font style=tahoma color=white size=2>" "<br>" "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " $viewers " " $gameSTR " " $userLINK $i "</a>" "</font>";

}

}
    echo 
    "</span>";

?>
    Thanks in advance

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you can speed it up if you use your current approach of making a separate connection to api.justin.tv for each of those channels, this is guaranteed to be slow. Your hope could be in checking whether the stream's API allows you receive information of all those users in a single request like this:

http://api.justin.tv/api/stream/list.json?channels=meditor996,malidude,tacsecret,...

This would make a huge difference. If you can't do this then you might display the list of channels with some empty space and use XMLHttpRequest via javascript to load information about each channel and update on the fly. It wouldn't be faster but at least users would not have to wait so long to see the page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i have seen another way which involves the same method of getting the stream but they would put the live users in txt page then retrieve it when they reload the page. Then it doesent have to check all the but every like 5 or 10 minutes. Im not exactly sure how to set it up though.

Also, is there any way I could use a caching method sort like the method stated above?

Or maybe make my script only check the live streams every 10 minutes rather than every time they load the page?

Any ideas on what I stated above?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can use caching, I thought you needed very up-to-date data that's why I ruled it out.

Make another php file in which you will load external data like you do it above except instead of outputting it to the browser store the data in a file. Then setup a cron job to run this script every 5 minutes - how you do it depends on your hosting, usually it's done through the hosting's admin panel. The last thing is to modify the page to display data from the file instead of loading external source.

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pardon me, but are you a third-party, or part of Justin.tv's staff? If you are staff, I'd like to help, as I use the TardisBlue channel there. Contact me using one of the admin email from there. There may be some work involved in changing your existing scripts. Otherwise, I'd suggest contact them directly and ask what thier api is capable of handling. The script might not be setup to handle multile channels in a list as suggested above.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Lemon Juice - Ok that seems somewhat simple. Is there any way you could give me an example of how that would be done? Like I said im not exactly fluent with any coding experience. If that is asking too much I would be willing to donate a small amount if it all works properly.

@Serenarules - Im a third party, not a part of Justin.tv's staff.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here is something for you to play with, it's untested so it can contain errors but it's simple enough so you will be able to make it work - just in case php documentation is a very good resource to learn from!

This would be the script to be run every x minutes:
    PHP Code:
    $chan "";
    $streams = array( "meditor996""malidude""tacsecret""izual155""porkyhd""tachydro#""church_""tainttubes""kurimlinn""TacvFOX""tacpinkiepie""dkrstarcraft""chaoss tarcraft""thepandrexlive""zren89""1soulfire""sallvain""sg_goldster""adramelechii""dragon""dignitasselect""sing_sing""desrowfighting""eghuk""eg_idra""rootcatz""liquidsheth""spanishiwa""mtwdimaga""whitera""meditor996""colqxc""kraglord""tsm_dyrus""nyjacky""crs_saintvicious""tsm_theoddone""mstephano""protech""tacmoose" );

$out[] = array();

foreach (
    $streams as $channelName) {

$chan "http://api.justin.tv/api/stream/list.json?channel=" $channelName;

$json_file = @file_get_contents($chan);

$exist strpos($json_file'name');

if(
    $exist) {

$out[$channelName] = $json_file;
      }
    }

file_put_contents("channels.txt"serialize($out)); 
    And the script to display the page:
    PHP Code:
    echo '<br><br><font color="white"><b>Live User Streams:</b></font>';
    $files_data file_get_contents("channels.txt");
    $json_files unserialize($files_data);

foreach (
    $json_files as $channelName => $json_file) {

$json_array json_decode($json_filetrue);

if (

$live true;
      else

$live false;

$userLINK "<a href=\"http://www.twitch.tv/$channelName\" target=_blank title=$channelTitle style='color: #C0C0C0'>";

echo 
    "<font style=tahoma color=white size=2>" "<br>" "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " $viewers " " $gameSTR " " $userLINK $channelName "</a>" "</font>";
    }

echo 
    "</span>"
    Here at the end there are some varialbles like $channelTitle which are not defined and I have no idea where they come from so you will have to solve it somehow as you have access to all scripts.

Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
    This would be the script to be run every x minutes:
    You would set it up to run every 5 minutes by either setting up a cronjob (if on *nix server) or a scheduled task (if on a windows server). Most control panels will help you setup either. Just keep in mind you will need to either put the php5 or php executable in from of the script path (use absolute path)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I put everything in and its coming up with the following error:

Warning: json_decode() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/sglivest/public_html/livestreams2.php on line 16

This is line 16 on "livestreams2.php" : $json_array = json_decode($json_file, true);

Any idea?

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    put var_dump($json_file) immediately before that line and give us the output from that statement.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/sglivest/public_html/livestreams2.php on line 18

Line 18: $json_array = json_decode($json_file, true);

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you put a semi-colon after the var_dump($json_file); command (sorry, I left that out earlier).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I didnt catch that either.

Now im getting : Warning: json_decode() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/sglivest/public_html/livestreams2.php on line 18 which is again: $json_array = json_decode($json_file, true);

And under that, I have all of this:
    string(2405) "[{"embed_count":"36","name":"live_user_rootcatz","stream_count":"59","category":"gaming","format":"live","channel_count":141,"title":"ROOTCatZ playin the GAMEZ","featured":true,"site_count":"23","abuse_reported":false,"channel":{"image_url_huge":"http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/rootcatz-profile_image-364f26660ea6d286-600x600.png","producer":true,"subcategory":null,"category":"gaming","image_url_tiny":"http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/rootcatz-profile_image-364f26660ea6d286-50x50.png","status":"ROOTCatZ playin the GAMEZ","title":"rootcatz","image_url_large":"http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/rootcatz-profile_image-364f26660ea6d286-300x300.png","screen_cap_url_huge":"http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/previews/live_user_rootcatz-630x473.jpg","image_url_small":"http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/rootcatz-profile_image-364f26660ea6d286-70x70.png","category_title":"Gaming","embed_enabled":true,"image_url_medium":"http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/rootcatz-profile_image-364f26660ea6d286-150x150.png","timezone":"America/Lima","id":17901901,"screen_cap_url_large":"http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/previews/live_user_rootcatz-320x240.jpg","channel_url":"http://www.justin.tv/rootcatz","subcategory_title":null,"screen_cap_url_medium":"http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/previews/live_user_rootcatz-

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsecret View Post
    Hi,
    I have this piece of code that checks if a live stream of a game is live or not. If it is live then it posts the players name who is streaming on a list where people can click to see his/her stream. The problem I am having is though is that it takes forever to load the page (probably because it takes so long to check the players streams). I was wondering if there was any way I could speed up the process and still keep what I want which is only the live users. Please, if you could answer with ease as I am still very new to this.

Thanks in advance
    Two techniques spring to mind that are maybe worth trying:

First:
    On your page, create an empty DIV with a CSS position: relative; width:XXX; height:YYY;
    Create another DIV just before </body> with CSS position: absolute;
    Move the PHP live stream code check script inside this DIV
    This will display the page and when the the tests are complete then display the results in the correct part of the page.

Second:
    Assume the player is on the list and add the name to be clicked.
    I assume when clicked two results are possible either on or off line so act accordingly.
    Learn how to be ready for The New Move to Discourse

How to make Make Money Now with a *NEW* look

Be sure to congratulate Wolfshade on earning Member of the Month for August 2014

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Betong View Post
    Two techniques spring to mind that are maybe worth trying:

First:
    On your page, create an empty DIV with a CSS position: relative; width:XXX; height:YYY;
    Create another DIV just before </body> with CSS position: absolute;
    Move the PHP live stream code check script inside this DIV
    This will display the page and when the the tests are complete then display the results in the correct part of the page.

Second:
    Assume the player is on the list and add the name to be clicked.
    I assume when clicked two results are possible either on or off line so act accordingly.
    Wouldent your first suggestion do the same thing my code is doing now just within a div? I need the entire process to be sped up somehow.

I cant necessarily guess if they are online or offline. The list has to be comprised of only live users that are streaming. When a visitor comes to my website then they will be able to click the live stream link bringing them to a page to watch their stream.

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the following code:
    PHP Code:
    $chan ""

$out[] = array(); 

foreach (

$chan "http://api.justin.tv/api/stream/list.json?channel=" $channelName

if(
    $exist) { 

$out[$channelName] = json_decode($json_filetrue); 
      } 

and

PHP Code:
    echo '<br><br><font color="white"><b>Live User Streams:</b></font>'

foreach (
    $json_files as $channelName => $json_array) { 

if (
    $json_array[0]['name'] == "live_user_{$channelName}"

$live true
      else 

$live false

$userLINK "<a href=\"http://www.twitch.tv/$channelName\" target=_blank title=$channelTitle style='color: #C0C0C0'>"

echo 
    "<font style=tahoma color=white size=2>" "<br>" "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " $viewers " " $gameSTR " " $userLINK $channelName "</a>" "</font>"

echo 
    "</span>"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/sglivest/public_html/livestreams2.php on line 16

Line 16: if ($json_array[0]['name'] == "live_user_{$channelName}")

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, add the var_dump($json_array); line again, and give me the output. I think we are getting closer now.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/sglivest/public_html/livestreams2.php on line 16

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use this, as it isn't giving me the values I need to see.
    PHP Code:
    echo '<br><br><font color="white"><b>Live User Streams:</b></font>'

foreach (

var_dump($json_array);
    die();
      if (
    $json_array[0]['name'] == "live_user_{$channelName}"

$live true
      else 

$live false

$userLINK "<a href=\"http://www.twitch.tv/$channelName\" target=_blank title=$channelTitle style='color: #C0C0C0'>"

echo 
    "<font style=tahoma color=white size=2>" "<br>" "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " $viewers " " $gameSTR " " $userLINK $channelName "</a>" "</font>"

echo 
    "</span>"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No errors but its not showing up properly. This is what it looks like:

Live User Streams:array(0) { }

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, the following works locally for me.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    $chan 
    "";

$out[] = array();

foreach (

if(
    $exist) {

}
    }

?>
    and
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    foreach (
        if (!empty(
    $json_array))
        {
            if (

$live true;
            else

$live false;

$userLINK "<a href=\"http://www.twitch.tv/$channelName\" target=\"_blank\" title=\"" htmlentities($json_array[0]['title']) . "\" style='color: #C0C0C0'>";

echo 
    "<font style=tahoma color=white size=2>" "<br>" "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " "&nbsp; " $viewers " " $gameSTR " " $userLINK $channelName "</a>" "</font>";
        }
    }

echo 
    "</span>";
    ?>
    Now, since I don't know what $viewers and $gameSTR refer to, so I can't make those show the details you may want them to have without knowing their intention. I also temporarily added "riotgames" to the list of channels so I could at least see the results of a live channel.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason it still isnt working properly =(. I copied exactly what you had into both and it came up with:

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, running out of ideas here, so here are TWO more solutions that work locally for me.

Solution #1: File #1
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $chan 
    "";

$out = array();

foreach (

if(
    $exist) {

}
    }

?>
    Solution #1: File #2
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    foreach (

if (
    count($json_array) != && isset($json_array[0]) && count($json_array[0]) != 0)
        {
            if (

$live true;
            else

$live false;

$userLINK "<a href=\"http://www.twitch.tv/$channelName\" target=\"_blank\" title=\"" htmlentities($json_array[0]['title']) . "\" style='color: #C0C0C0'>";

echo 
        }
    }

echo 
    "</span>";
    ?>
    Solution #2: File #1
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $chan 
    "";
    $streams = array( "reckful""meditor996""malidude""tacsecret""izual155""porkyhd""tachydro#""church_""tainttubes""kurimlinn""TacvFOX""tacpinkiepie""dkrstarcraft""chaoss tarcraft""thepandrexlive""zren89""1soulfire""sallvain""sg_goldster""adramelechii""dragon""dignitasselect""sing_sing""desrowfighting""eghuk""eg_idra""rootcatz""liquidsheth""spanishiwa""mtwdimaga""whitera""meditor996""colqxc""kraglord""tsm_dyrus""nyjacky""crs_saintvicious""tsm_theoddone""mstephano""protech""tacmoose" );

$out = array();

foreach (

if(
    $exist) {

$out[$channelName] = json_decode($json_file);
        }
    }

?>
    Solution #2: File #2
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    foreach (

if (
    count($json_array) != && isset($json_array[0]) && count($json_array[0]) != 0)
        {
            if (
    $json_array[0]->name == "live_user_{$channelName}")

$live true;
            else

$live false;

$userLINK "<a href=\"http://www.twitch.tv/$channelName\" target=\"_blank\" title=\"" htmlentities($json_array[0]->title) . "\" style='color: #C0C0C0'>";

echo 
        }
    }

echo 
    "</span>";
    ?>
    Now the one thing that I think was holding you up, and myself for that matter was original File #1 in both solutions had $out[] = array(), which created a blank multi-dimensional array right off the bat, that caused confusion in the script and now that is resolved, so hopefully this works.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpradio View Post
    Now the one thing that I think was holding you up, and myself for that matter was original File #1 in both solutions had $out[] = array(), which created a blank multi-dimensional array right off the bat, that caused confusion in the script and now that is resolved, so hopefully this works.
    Good catch! I made a typo in my code and even if I looked at it several times now I couldn't make out what could be wrong... The first element was empty array, which tripped up the code that followed. BTW, that's why I strongly believe that E_NOTICE error reporting should be always enabled when developing any code - if it was enabled then php would immediately throw a notice error about uninitialised variable in that line and all would be clear.

If you change $out[] = array(); to $out = array(); then I suppose either my original code or cpradio's should work fine.