User Tag List

Thread: @myname.com

Hybrid View

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to set up a personal account similar to aidan@bahta.com. How do you think I should do it?

-it must be free
    -must be pop e-mail or readable through Outlook 2000

bahta.com is available. What I had in mind is for me to snatch it using namezero, set up a hypermart account, install everyone.net and go from there. Would that work?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just host the domain at the same place activewm is hosted? Then setup Outlook Express to catch the mail coming from the POP3 account.

That seems like the easiest way to do it..

-chuck
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could I do that? If I use NameZero, I can't host the domain (I don't think). Instead, I'd have to have my domain post to an existing page. I am not even sure if E-Mail works with NameZero.

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either that or check NameZero to see what they do about POP accounts. I'm sure they must mention it somewhere. If you're not going to use it for anything but email then you don't really need hosting, so NameZero would be alright, although I am still skeptical of their terms.

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is that site... I think it is <edit>I don't remember the URL, sorry</edit>... where they offer to buy the domain free if you use their web based email... as in they buy Laitt.com and I get adam@laitt.com

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember the URL, but I think I remember an email service where you can choose a username and a domain name for free to use as email.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it http://www.nameplanet.com ?

If it's only for e-mail, I think BN3 offers POP e-mail if you use their DNS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you can get POP3 email with NameZero because they work like a redirection service like CJB.net. You will have to BUY the domain.

Yes BN3.com gives 50 pop3 boxes for free on your own domain if you change the MX settings.

Christophe

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got POP3 Mail with NameZero. Funny...the first time I checked my box, I recieved a SPAM at grace@bahta.com. I didn't set up an account like that either...very strange.

Anyway, all seems to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by abahta
    I got POP3 Mail with NameZero. Funny...the first time I checked my box, I recieved a SPAM at grace@bahta.com. I didn't set up an account like that either...very strange.

Anyway, all seems to work.
    Yeah, that's really ironic. I've gotten spam from someone @sports-central.org before, which is also odd....

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well NameZero have to make money somehow!!!!

Adam

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn, I'm just a little too late! I was gonna say that you might have wanted to check out DomainZero (www.domainzero.com), since there are no banners and the domain is registered in your name. How do they make money?

QUOTE FROM DOMAINZERO TOS:
    All we ask is that domain registrants agree to a minimum number of money-saving
    offers from our clients on everything from air travel to office supplies. The offers are
    presented via e-mail to the registrants once the registration process is complete.
    DomainZero.com pays all domain registration fees, but we are not the registrar.
    Registrants keep and own all rights to each domain name they register for one (1)
    year, with an option for FREE renewal upon expiration when they return to DomainZero.com.
    I think these guys are serious because they're owned by a traded company on the stock market. I haven't tried them though...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recieved about 12 spam mails from *@dpijobs.com on an account that I haven't even set up (grace@bahta.com). That's not good...

I might try DomainZero if this keeps happening.