SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

I am wondering what your opinions are about frames and using a javascript redirect to properly load the complete frameset if someone accidentally comes to the site via one frame. Here is an example of the script I have found:
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    if (top == self) self.location.href = "FRAMESET FILENAME GOES HERE";
    // -->
    </script>

Here is another example I have found:
    <Body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" OnLoad="if (parent.frames.length==0)
    top.location='complete path of frame index url here';">

I have read that the javascript redirect can be considered spam by altavista, google, FAST and Northernlight since these search engines are frame capable. The javascript redirect may disable the back button in some browsers which I guess the search engines don't like either. I personally have been penalized by Altavista for a redirect on my frame site.

I am wondering if you would to discourage someone creating a website from using frames because it might penalize them in these big search engines?
    Also do you know of a good alternative to the javascript? The server side redirect looks a little complicated, but is that the only really effective means to refresh a whole frameset without being penalized by any SE.

Any information on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Laura

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the first one, i think it should do the trick
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813