SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spam Filters, any hints appreciated

Hi All,

I hope this is the right forum to ask
    I moved to a new host last week, and one of the things I definitely have to do is the subj.
    Lately it has gotten real bad. I get anywhre from 150-200 emails daily and it's a good day if half of them are mine and not spam.
    I've tried to analyze senders. Few domain names seem to be obvious to go into the filter, things like massmailings.com etc.
    I was wondering if there's a list of known mass mailing services, I understand you can't catch everything but still...
    Also, lots of spam or viruses com from hotmal. Does anybody block hotmail? Or it's too excessive?
    Any other hints, pointers are highly appreciated.
    Have Fun,
    Gator
    zknives.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Z-

In order to understand how spamming works, it's bests to first understand how the mass mailings work. Go here for an example: Software

There are alot of Mass Mailing lists on the web. Just search any of the major seach engines and you will find plenty.

There are many things you can do to filter spam but not much to actually stop it. It doesn't matter what email provider you use either as all individuals are targets of spamming. Some ISP's provide filtering from their end but if you are using a free email account, your email address basically has no protection. And most ISP's will only deal with customer to customer spamming and not spamming from mass mailings.

Here is another link on the topic of Spam that will shed some light for you. CAUCE

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally use this service. It's free and works. Check it out: http://www.cloudmark.com/products/spamnet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    I personally use this service. It's free and works. Check it out: http://www.cloudmark.com/products/spamnet
    MJames,

I downloaded the plugin and it works better than anything I've seen to date. Everyday, I dread opening my email and sifting through hundreds of junk emails but since I loaded the plugin, I have only received a handful of junk mail. Not sure if the software is responsible or if there is another reason. But in any case, thanks for info. I'm very pleased with the results so far.

SitePoint Evangelist MobileBadBoy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw in one that I use, which is Mailwasher. I like that fact that you can wildcard email addresses (like *@massmailer.com, so they can't send from joe@, bill@, etc), and you can bounce emails back to the sender at the same time.
    Shawn Kerr .com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MobileBadBoy
    I'll throw in one that I use, which is Mailwasher. I like that fact that you can wildcard email addresses (like *@massmailer.com, so they can't send from joe@, bill@, etc), and you can bounce emails back to the sender at the same time.
    MBB, which version do you use, the beta or stable? I think the one mjames posted was beta and I haven't had any problems with it so far. How much junk mail did you receive before using the program as opposed to now?

SitePoint Evangelist MobileBadBoy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.0.18 beta.

I've never really paid attention. I still get a good bit, but it all gets deleted and bounced so I never see it, if it's in my Blacklist.

Probably 80% that still get's through is from like AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. I don't want to permanently block those, since they're so widely used, so I've just been Blacklisting the individual emails. But I'm fixing to block all those domains once I set up a mail form on my site for people who do use those services to use. I don't email anyone regularly from those services (except my brother on AOL), so if it's legit (from those services), it will only come from my site.
    Shawn Kerr .com