SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my cable modem and windows XP

ok.. i am having some trouble getting my cable modem to work with Windows XP.. i can get it to work fine with windows 98 and windows 2000..
    here is the situation, until i can find the time to network my computers together i have been switching the cable modem between computers, mine with windows 2000, and my parents with windows 98... now my parents computer crashed and burned, and the best way i could find to fix it, was to upgrade from windows 98.. i wanted them to get 2000 but they wanted XP, because they could get XP home cheaper than 2000.. anyway.. long story short, i intalled XP home on there computer. and i can't get it to work with XP for nothing.. in 2000 i set it up to obtain an IP address automatically and it works fine... i set it up like that in XP and it doesn't work.. i also tried it with my dad's laptop which also has XP, and could not get it to work.
    is there something wierd with networking with XP that i don't know about, or what??
    i am a little reluctant to call the cable company right away, because i know this cable company, and they are gonna give me all kinds of hell about switching it between computers and all that crap, so i thought i would ask here before i called them.. and if i don't haev it fixed by today, i have to call them tomorrow, because my dad wants it fixed..
    anyway, if anyone can help, that would be great.. thanks
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to set up XP exactly how you set up 2K, they are the same .. if not exactly the same.

What is happening .. are you getting any errors? Like unable to find DNS page?

Tell us more about the modem, is it DHCP? what about the DNS do you have to enter the IP addresses, or are they assigned automatically to you..
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem might not be the OS but the computer. Is your cable modem tied to one MAC address? If so then you would either have to network the computers and get the MAC address changed to the router or simply use it on one computer.

I haven't had any problems getting Windows XP to work with any networking before.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if it were tied to one mac Address then it would not work on my machine, because it was originally set up on there machine when they had windows 98...
    i have windows 2000 set up to obtain an IP address automatically and too obtain a DNS server address automatically ( i will attach a screen shot of my windows 2000 settings). as far as i can tell i have the xp machine set up the same.

it just acts like there is no internet connection.. IE can't find any sites, tried to activate XP over the internet, and it didn't work..
    when i click on the "status" of the internet it shows that no packets hav been recieved, and the packets sent is ussually up to like 2 or 3.. but that is it..
    i dunno.. i had no problems like this when i moved it from there windows 98 machine to my 2000 machine...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you run the Network Wizard when you setup the computer?

Right click on the network connection and set your properties just like you would in Windows 9X... It should have a Network LAN connection installed by default. You shouldn't have to add anything to the system as long as the Network card is installed properly.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have tried running the network connection wizard several times.. its just not working..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have verified that the Network card is installed correctly? Sounds like a driver problem really.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid suggestion really but did you switch off your cable modem and then turn it on again after you do the switch?

Normally WinXP is "smart" enough to detect your internet connection once you plug in the Ethernet cable, so if it doesn't, it's probably your NIC card is not installed correctly.

Also, you should be able to network your 2 (and only 2, no more) computers on the cheap with an Ethernet crossover cable, provided you have an extra NIC on the computer that's gonna be the gateway (or you have a USB cable modem, like I do, then you don't need the extra NIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was thinking it could be a driver problem with the NIC card at first too, but because of the fact that it doesn't work with my father's laptop either i dismissed that solution...
    and with both it does detect that there is a network connection, there is just no activity on the connection.

and yes i have tried switching the cable modem on and off..

-----

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had problems similar to this on xp before, with my ill fated wireless network. Do the xp units have multiple network cards by chance. I had the same difficulty and it turned out to be the blasted xp network bridge, I am pretty sure Bill Gates put it there just to make my life miserable. Any way check the properties on the nic you are using, the 3rd item down after enable and repair will be either add to bridge or remove from bridge. If it says remove from bridge click it, and itll probably work then. Also have you tried to click repair, if so does it tell you something to the effect of tcp/ip not installed? If so its probably the network bridge. Also if that doesnt work you may need to uninstall the nic from the drvice manager and reinstall it. Probably needs a new driver for xp.
    Shane M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope.. only one network card in it, so its not the network bridge..

ok.. since the last time i have posted, here is what i have tried:
    1. Tried a different NIC card, i had a couple extra USB network adaptors laying around, so i hooked one up, same problem, recognizes the network, but no activity.
    2. hooked up my cable modem to the computer with a USB cable (had to download the drivers, because hell if my Cable company would leave me the CD for the modem). same problem, recognizes it is on a network, no activity.

I am thinking it is almost time to call them, and see what it going on... there just has to be some little step i am missing, just can't figure out what it is..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok ok ok.. it works now. i had to call them, and they had to reset something.. blah blha blha...

anyway.. how do i share this thing between 2 computers now.. i have installed a second nic card in the Windows XP machine. I have my 2000 machine and the XP machine both hooked into a hub, i have tried setting up the internet sharing on XP and i can't for the life of me get it to work... anyone??

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will use my standard reply, Did you check the network bridge? Also I cant remember for sure, but I think you have to have the patch cable from your modem in the uplink port on your hub, try it both ways and see if you can connect.
    Shane M