SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How do you respond... and do you respond to new FB likes?

Besides my personal page, I manage a small "community page" on Facebook for a group of dog lovers who get together once a week to exercise and socialize our dogs. Likes are growing slowly but steadily and I don't really expect them to reach even 100 so it's a small page. If it gets too big, we'll have to find a new location to exercise our dogs anyway!

Today I was notified of three new likes. How do you make new "likes" feel welcome on your page? Do you send them a welcome message and let them know what is available for them on the page or do you do nothing?

What is the appropriate FB etiquette in this situation?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd say you don't need to do anything.

New folks who want to participate tend to chime in on their own.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have to respond to those who come and visit our page and likes our product and message.In this way we have to realize then that we do care for them and we appreciate their arrival.Actually business needs an interaction with your visitor and users and force you to build a strong relation ship with them.So we must appreciate any one who comes and likes our page with compliments.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot of people think of liking a Facebook Page as subscribing, so I won't say any action is needed on your part.

If you ever decide to try to grow the Page (or that personal Page), I think a good way to generate likes is to handle it sort of like a blog, that is, regular updates that are appealing and try to keep them consistent.

I've also found that big jumps in likes come from getting posted photographs tagged, because it starts to get the Page appearing on new people's News Feeds.

And also promotions that revolve around asking users to "like" seem to work too. Like there was a movie website I worked on that promised to release a new trailer if they crossed x number of likes and it worked beautifully.
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience,I preferred saying a simple "thank you". If he/she will ask for something about your product/service,that's the time I'll start talking.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no harm on saying thanks to those who are new. I think they'd be grateful and they'll feel like they're welcome.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hm, I think I'd find it annoying if I got messages every time I "Like" something—and it would put me off Liking. If I press the Like button, I can expect to see updates from the "liked" site in my what's new list (or whatever it's called). That's enough for me. It just means that I wan't to track what's happening on that page—not that I want to be smothered with love.

That's my response, anyhow.

SitePoint Member ExploreMySchool's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with ralph, user likes the page because he liked the content and wants to see more of this sort next time. Responding to this Like activity could be annoying to user. Better not to respond and rather generate more unique and interesting content as a response to the Like....

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExploreMySchool View Post
    I agree with ralph, user likes the page because he liked the content and wants to see more of this sort next time. Responding to this Like activity could be annoying to user. Better not to respond and rather generate more unique and interesting content as a response to the Like....
    Thanks, (also to @ralph.m ; ) that is what I was wondering... if it would be a good thing or an annoying thing.I don't want to spam people and lose them right away. Just wondered as long as it's a local group if I should recognize their interest. However, you are both right. Just because they like my page, doesn't mean that they want to hear from me. Ended up I had about half-a-dozen new likes. It was great that the new people showed up at the dog social today and that's the important part!
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Perhaps, as part of your posting, you could acknowledge the Likes, so that people at least know you appreciate it. That might be a nice balance.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Perhaps, as part of your posting, you could acknowledge the Likes, so that people at least know you appreciate it. That might be a nice balance.
    I thought about that, but have never acknowledged the "old" likes. Maybe best is just to post something about how happy I am to have the total number that we have along with something about increased attendance at our weekly event.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Sounds reasonable, Linda.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly speaking if someone has liked your posted content you should thank him or her. By just saying thank to those people you can respond.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could mention that person and then thank him/her if you are getting fewer likes and if the numbers are too large then you could leave a general thank you message. Probably you could add some encouraging message along with thank you so that they come back and visit your page.
    LEADING SEO COMPANY INDIA OFFERING FINEST SEO SERVICES

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy18 View Post
    Frankly speaking if someone has liked your posted content you should thank him or her. By just saying thank to those people you can respond.
    I do that, but this isn't about them liking my post or comment, it's about new "likes" for a community page.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its totally depend on opposite person what they response after that i decide what to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a fan page account that is related to business services. And everytime I get a new likes I do mention them on my status to welcome and appreciate their effort in liking my page.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeanne View Post
    I do have a fan page account that is related to business services. And everytime I get a new likes I do mention them on my status to welcome and appreciate their effort in liking my page.
    That is good to hear! (Hear?) Are you getting any positive feedback from your mentions or do yo believe your mentions are encouraging even more likes?
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member ExploreMySchool's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a good debate to read..... Thoughtful discussion going on.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better not to say anything. It's understood that they are welcome in the community. But if they post something or ask something then that's the time to say something to make them feel that they belong

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A generic comment such as "our page is growing, we have now so many likes... thank you to all of you" should be sufficient furthermore when this is more a social thing and not a business.

Now, business want something else... fidelity and, of course, the money

The normal approach would be to thank them in a more personal way... although, like Ralph said previously, if you received a private message saying thank you for every like you clicked that would be a pain in the...

The regular approach in these scenarios comes from providing content that's only visible to fans.

It could be a little note on the screen saying "thank you" right away when he already clicked "like"

Most of the time is quality content in regular basis that only fans will see, or offers, or contest or whatever... This is more usual than a direct thank you (and it will keep them visiting your page often, of course)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Shyflower ; I do agree with @ralph.m ; that it is very annoying for most Facebook users to receive a Thank You message for every page that they like and it's going to be worse if the message comes from a list of templates.

Here's a suggestion that I think will give you opportunities to connect and understand more about your fans without being intrusive. For fans who have enabled the Subscribe feature on their Facebook profiles, you can actually add them to a dedicated private Interest List that only you have access to. Of course, you can subscribe to their profile or even add them as a friend but often times, this will quickly clutter your news feed with posts that you don't really care about.

When you have time, just visit the interest list, scroll through the posts, get an idea of what your fans are into and jump in with a relevant comment or like from time-to-time. If you're lucky, they might ask a relevant question that you can feature on your Facebook Page. This gives you a pulse on your first 100-500 community members which will definitely help you in determining the direction of your community page.

However, if your page has tons of fans already, you can tone this down by only adding those who frequently interacts with your content.

I learned this tip from a social media manager who is managing the Page of a local online retailer with about 50k fans. She setups and maintains well over 10 interest lists (influencers, evangelists, whiners, etc.) that are related to the retailer.

What do all of you think? Is this too much? Haha... Thoughts appreciated!

@Eugeanne ; Do you mean mentioning them on your personal profile? As far as I know, page admins can only mention other pages in their statuses but not personal profiles.

Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Liew View Post
    For fans who have enabled the Subscribe feature on their Facebook profiles, you can actually add them to a dedicated private Interest List that only you have access to. ... What do all of you think?
    I'd be interested to know more about that. I have no idea where to look for that functionality.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Liew View Post
    @Shyflower ; I do agree with @ralph.m ; that it is very annoying for most Facebook users to receive a Thank You message for every page that they like and it's going to be worse if the message comes from a list of templates.

Here's a suggestion that I think will give you opportunities to connect and understand more about your fans without being intrusive. For fans who have enabled the Subscribe feature on their Facebook profiles, you can actually add them to a dedicated private Interest List that only you have access to. Of course, you can subscribe to their profile or even add them as a friend but often times, this will quickly clutter your news feed with posts that you don't really care about.

When you have time, just visit the interest list, scroll through the posts, get an idea of what your fans are into and jump in with a relevant comment or like from time-to-time. If you're lucky, they might ask a relevant question that you can feature on your Facebook Page. This gives you a pulse on your first 100-500 community members which will definitely help you in determining the direction of your community page.

However, if your page has tons of fans already, you can tone this down by only adding those who frequently interacts with your content.

I learned this tip from a social media manager who is managing the Page of a local online retailer with about 50k fans. She setups and maintains well over 10 interest lists (influencers, evangelists, whiners, etc.) that are related to the retailer.

What do all of you think? Is this too much? Haha... Thoughts appreciated!

@Eugeanne ; Do you mean mentioning them on your personal profile? As far as I know, page admins can only mention other pages in their statuses but not personal profiles.
    Thank You for another wonderful piece of information I can tuck away and check out!
    Linda Jenkinson

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally respond to "new" likes with a simple "Thank you" and that it is if I have time. If I am in a hurry, I don't do anything really.