Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guido2004 View Post
    Reasons have been given in this thread why not to use w3schools. Could you please give some reasons why according to you it should be used?
    I am a student, and got much help from the site to improve my understandings for the website development concepts. Also my teacher and friends preferred this site to learn basics. here the concepts are given in simple English. But now i checked, the links provided by @TechnoBear seem to be more useful

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to create good web graphics you can start with graphic designing software's such as Photoshop,Illustrator,Flash and Corel Draw.HTML knowledge is also vital for developing a Website along PHP,Ajax and j Query.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I d start with typography, because content is the most important part of the site and disregard popular belief you cant just copy paste text from word into dreamweaver without making it ugly. Things like kerning, leading, font sizes, length of the line, headlines etc. You dont even need to know much of css or html to build an awesome website.
    Then proceed to photoshop and add a simple background, logo, button.
    Now try to code it all in html with some basic css if needed.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    You dont even need to know much of css or html to build an awesome website.
    What??
    Then proceed to photoshop and add a simple background, logo, button.
    Now try to code it all in html with some basic css if needed.
    Hmm ... how are you going to add in and position all those snazzy Photoshop doo-dahs without a thorough understanding of CSS?

Take plenty of exercise walk round and round the garden
    or

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you misunderstood me i mean you can take few simple classes, for example, at http://teamtreehouse.com/library#topic-group-9 and be good with it, you dont need to know all the fancy html5 features and stuff to place a text and an image.
    Like the guy is already going to start learning jquery, php, jsp and whats not — those are not the first steps imo.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    Sounds good to me. Neither do I. (I use GIMP.) You'll need something for editing/optimising photos and perhaps creating background images, buttons etc., but not for actual site design. Some people like to draw up a design in Photoshop and then set about recreating it with CSS, but I prefer to design in CSS from the start.

I missed your earlier question about whether to learn from books or internet tutorials. My preference (and the way I learned web design) is to use books. That way, you generally get a good, logical progression from basics to more advanced material. Tutorials are very handy later on, when you have something specific in mind, but aren't sure how to do it. A quick search on the internet will usually provide something helpful.
    I completely agree with TechnoBear. By learning the basics the right way, it's easier to learn the more complex stuff later. Books are really the best for laying the foundations, so to speak. And it's amazing how many tutorials there are on the net when you need to look up how to do something specific.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    you misunderstood me i mean you can take few simple classes, for example, at http://teamtreehouse.com/library#topic-group-9 and be good with it, you dont need to know all the fancy html5 features and stuff to place a text and an image.
    You're right, I did misunderstand you. What you say here makes more sense. You certainly don't need to know HTML5 - because it's still in development, as is CSS3. What you do need is a thorough understanding of the current standards - HTML4 and CSS2.
    Take plenty of exercise walk round and round the garden
    or

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lieto,
    I am very interested in this topics. I want to know details about typography. Please advise me how can i know about typography. Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is something you might found useful — http://www.thedesigncubicle.com/2009...ve-typography/