SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Win2K Sharing Problem

I dont know if this is the correct place to be posting this quesiton, but anyway ...

The problem is as follows. I have twop computers here at home, one running Win2K PRO and the other Win98 SE. I have all my rights on Win2K as being like "allow anyone access" but when i try and access shared folders on my Win2K machine from the other, it tries to access one of those default folders and wants a password for it (I have not set a single password or restriction, and the default user is the "Adsministrator" account). is there someting i have to change to give access??

Thanx in advance for any replies / advice

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting, I have the same problem you are on a network with a 2k pro unit. It can access anything on the network, but anyone who tries to access it gets username & pword prompt. Will be watching to see if anyone can answer this.
    Shane M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shane_M, in your case, does it gave an error reporting that it does not have access to a certain folder called something like "ITP$" ?? (i cant remember cause i deleted it in the windows settings)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No error messages, just a user name, password field.
    Shane M

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are dealing with one of the primary differences between Windows 9x and any flavor of Windows NT...that being a security accounts database.

Simply put, Windows 9x machines do not have a significant form of security accounts management (as a standalone OS), but any flavor of NT OS does.

So, without going into the details of the plumbing, on to (I hope) getting you up and running.

I assume the following:
    1. Your W2K computer is not a member of a domain, nor a domain controller
    2. When you say "anyone" has access you mean the "Everyone" system group that you see in permission lists.

When you 'approach' the W2K computer across the network from the Win 9x machine, you are 'challenged' to present valid credentials to the W2K computer to be granted access. The "Everyone" group that W2K recognizes does not mean 'everyone in the whole world, regardless', but 'everyone that I know about'. The "Guest" account qualifies as an 'anyone not defined in my security database'.

You can do one of several things:

1. Enable the Guest account -- be careful if your W2K machine is accessible from any unauthorized source. With the Guest account enabled, any permissions assigned to the Guest account on any resources will apply to any access from an unrecognized source.

2. Create an account on the W2K machine that matches the username and password you will log on to the Win9x box with. You will also need to make sure that the name of the workgroup to which both of the machines belongs matches, as the workgroup name is part of the credentials presented under certain circumstances.

For example, if your Win9x machine is in the workgroup "LEGACY", and the W2K machine is in the workgroup "WINDOWS", your W2K machine will expect credentials in the form of WINDOWS\<Known>User. Your Win9x machine is presenting LEGACY\User, however. Change the workgroup name on the Win9x box to "WINDOWS" (or vice versa).

On Windows NT machines, I could force presentation of credentials in the form of WINDOWS\User and the appropriate password so as to logon as a known account, but the credentials challenge dialog that you get in Win9x does not allow for the presentation of alternate workgroup or domain.

3. Set the Win9x computer to trust the W2k machine for user authentication (Network Properties). As long as the W2K machine is available when you go to logon to the Win9x box, then you should have no difficulties.

Hope that helps.
    In dog years, I'm dead....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx you very much ITProfessor for the indepth description on how to solve this problem, I have followed the steps for fixing the Win2K side of things; THe guest account was disabled, I guess activating it would have been a smart idea. I'll be trying to see if this works the minute i get my Win9x box set up again after yesterdays LAN.

We also had trouble accessing eachothers computers over the network; could this have been caused from the same problem??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ITProfessor - that was an excellent reply - I hope you'll be posting more of the same in the future

Its nice to see that I'm not the only one to have been stumped by this problem before. When I first upgraded my Main machine to win 2K I was horffied to find that my win 98 SE machine wasn't being allowed acess to printers etc on the other machine, and was really stuck on this problem for a good while.

In desperation formatted the Win 98 machine (after backing up all my files of course) and re-installed win 98 that I realised. I set up the account Administrator on it with my usual password, and as soon as I had set up the networking settings, hey presto the various network resources appeared on it.

Oh if this thread had have been around then, or in fact, had I been around Site Point Forums back then...

Have fun...
    ZOO
    Rick