User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social recommendations site for entertainment: RecThing.com

We just launched our public beta of http://RecThing.com and would love some feedback and critiques from you guys here on sitepoint.

Please let us now your thoughts, don't hold anything back

Thanks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ll make it short for now, since there is a fundamental flaw that needs fixing imo.
    You advertise that you can help me decide what to watch or listen, i enter the first page and i see 6 recommended films?
    I mean... what if i want to listen to music specifically new age or lets say techno. Or lets say i want to watch some recent horror movie, how do i get recommendations on that?
    First page is super plain and doesnt offer ANY useful information (for me at least)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can choose in your settings what entertainment you are interested in, and then you will only get recommendations for the selected categories. Also in your feed you can either choose to see all your recommendations or recommendations for a particular type of entertainment like tv.

At the moment you cant get recommendations for a certain tag like 'techno', but we have that under consideration

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was guessing that "potential unlocks" when you register but you should offer some sort of filter / feature preview for everyone to hook people up imo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see the latest recommendations box at the bottom of the home page, it reloads automatically, so you see theres different kinds of entertainment.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry i misunderstood you =) Thought "You can choose in your settings what entertainment you are interested in, and then you will only get recommendations for the selected categories. " means i can still choose a movie genre or something. As is "latest recommendations" are too random to actually be useful for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need to work more on footer section. Also social sharing botton very much needed.

SitePoint Enthusiast CreativeConcepts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello William,

Positive notes:
    This is a very nice website. The content itself seems excellent to me.
    The placement of content is also very neat.

Improvables:
    The color scheme, it's blue everywhere!! xD - Maybe use a bit more white to calm the website down.
    The background is too busy as well, the white and blue lines. You could go for a very light tint of blue maybe.
    Have a social plugin so visitors can share you website (google: addthis)

Conclusion:
    A very usable website, content awesome, design/layout could have an update to it, overall rating 7/10.

Hope my review helped you,
    Milan