User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search returns no results

Hi.

I have an issue with a search in my php script.

When I want to do a search against a specific country then I get results for that country.
    However if I do a search for All. I get no results found? If I then just do a search for the word destination I find everything?
    I want to be able to get the same results if I search for All as I would if I searched for the word destination?
    I also need to still keep the same functions that work already so if I search for a specific country I get the right results.
    I hope that makes some sense..
    I have attached the code below that I think is causing the problem.

Thanks for any help

<option value="">Destination</option>

<option value="all">All</option>

<?php do { ?>

<option value="<?php echo $row_destinations['Country']?>" <?php if (!(strcmp($row_destinations['Country'], $cntfilter))) {echo "SELECTED";} ?>><?php echo $row_destinations['Country']?></option>

<?php } while ($row_destinations = mysql_fetch_assoc($destinations)); $rows = mysql_num_rows($destinations); if($rows > 0) { mysql_data_seek($destinations, 0); $row_destinations = mysql_fetch_assoc($destinations); }?>

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think we would need to see how you are building your SQL statement which contains the country code.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this what you need?

mysql_select_db($database_);

$query_destinations = "SELECT DISTINCT `Country` FROM location2 WHERE `Country`<>'Belize' ORDER BY Country ASC";

$destinations = mysql_query($query_destinations, $dtw) or die(mysql_error());

$row_destinations = mysql_fetch_assoc($destinations);

$totalRows_destinations = mysql_num_rows($destinations)

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using a while loop, instead of do...while - your code runs one time before the mysql_fetch_assoc() is actually called to get a row from results.
    Hope this helps!

Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by popartns View Post
    Try using a while loop, instead of do...while - your code runs one time before the mysql_fetch_assoc() is actually called to get a row from results.
    Hope this helps!
    That unfortunately is bad advice. Since he is calling mysql_fetch_assoc() prior to the loop, he needs to use a do-while instead of a while loop, otherwise, his results will never show the very first row (as shown when combining the OP's first and second posts on this thread).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpradio View Post
    That unfortunately is bad advice. Since he is calling mysql_fetch_assoc() prior to the loop, he needs to use a do-while instead of a while loop, otherwise, his results will never show the very first row (as shown when combining the OP's first and second posts on this thread).
    Oh, if you combine 2 posts, then yes, first result will never be shown. I was actually having only first post in mind.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I want to do a search against a specific country then I get results for that country.
    However if I do a search for All. I get no results found?
    So in that case ('All') what does your SQL statement end up as?