SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel a little silly making suggestions about your site, because you are clearly in a completely different class of web design than someone who relies on wysiwyg templates. Hats off for all the things you've done here that are completely unique and beautiful--there are many!

Here are a few thoughts, for what they're worth:

Have you considered adding a sentence or two describing your work, along with the slideshow elements? As I clicked through and saw the game, I wondered whether you had developed the game yourself, or created the graphics for it. Maybe it's just me, but I find it frustrating when I can't answer those kinds of questions, especially if I'm combing through a site and considering a purchase. I notice that you have small titles, but that information isn't visible within the slideshow, unless you click back and forth. You may prefer to keep the artistic simplicity of the graphics, assuming that potential clients will contact you with questions if they are really interested, so it may not be an issue for you at this point (you've clearly built a fairly significant client base).

Testimonials (should be spelled with an "i" on your nav tab instead of an "e")

I wonder whether "Hello, My name is Connor Peet" really does your website justice. You are starting with a canned nametag phrase, and as your visitor scrolls down, your work is unique and interesting--not predictable and generic like a name tag sticker. I appreciate the simplicity, but I think you can find a more powerful, fitting first impression.

The "What do I do?" section is a great explanation. Confident without going over the line into bragging, and very clear.

Very picky English bits on the About Me section: you don't need a hyphen for "on time," but you would use one for "co-founder."
    I would omit the "and" before "soccer player," since there's another one right after it. The tone in this section is very appropriate.

Impressive site!
    www.conversationpieceslearning.org
    Enrichment Ideas and Activities for Teachers and Students
    www.youcancreate.org
    Daily Creative Challenges for People Like You

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your feedback! No worries, some of the best advice I've gotten have come from non-web-designers (correct use of hyphens? ) I'll go through the site this weekend and take your suggestions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Connor4312,

Hope you are well sites looking good the only thing i would say is that it would perhaps be a good idea to make it crystal clear what you do at the the top of your site (on the first page users see) and maybe a little font/layout check on your testimonial page to make it easier to view.

Apart form that i think it looks fab.

wish you all the best.

Nath5678

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, you have an awesome original website
    /me likes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looked a little stark when it first comes up. It took me a minute to figure out how to navigate. I got the idea that you do web design but I wanted a little more detail about it. The samples are a little hard to see what they are. I get the feeling that you can do some amazing stuff but I just need to know what it is. The best feature of the site is the scrolling pages. I dont mind scrolling. I had fun with it. I suggest that you give each of the headings their own set of pages instead of the same pages coming up each link. Looks good though and I think you have something.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the page 'Shall we talk?' there is a cut off at the end of the e-mail address. Also the phrase 'shall we talk' sounds a little gooey. I felt almost as if I wanted to say 'I dont know you well enough for that yet'. Maybe the ole' tried and true standard meeting response would be in order: 'Glad to Meet You' still works even on a web page.

The 'availability' section looks great but I keep expecting it to do something. The highlighted areas of the calendar need to have a form of communication with the viewer. A little pop-up window that says 'To B Announced' or 'Ill bet you thought there was something here. HA! Fooled Y'a'. Whatever you want to say to make the visitor chuckle; feeling as if they are 'in the know'. Making them warm with welcome.

Now about the 'Unconfirmed Booking' or 'Booked'. Does it mean that it is you or the visitor that is booked? And what did the booking entail? What would you do if it turned out that the available booking was unconfirmed? Do you confirm or book?

Really though in all fairness, and with highest regard to the author, I have to say that I like the 'Lets Talk' page in its ability to capture the attention of the viewer. I sincerely believe this page deserves 4 stars out of 5 for overall visual experience. Keep developing it. It is going to be a winner.

Just curious. Is this a PSD Document? If so have you given the thought of slicing it up?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I suggest, dividing one page into number of different categories, then canonical URL and it will be more user friendly interface.

For more information about user friendly interface: http://www.ambysoft.com/essays/userInterfaceDesign.html You can focus on part 2, UI design principles.

From SEO perspective: If you use one page, you cannot focus on more keywords as you can do at multiple pages, you cannot keep your keyword density, you cannot keep all your keywords in title and so on...

I can send you SEO Secrets book of Danny Dover after you are done with beginners guide

Quote Originally Posted by connor4312 View Post
    Thanks for all your valuable feedback!

@smfre: Yeah, that's a big I noticed which I plan to fix this weekend.
    @Unknown: I had made the contact area when the site was a big different. I'm going to be redoing entirely this weekend.

I do want to mention one thing.

Please, don't include SEO in your username unless you have any idea what it is. Here's a link to a beginners guide on SEO (canonical is about halfway down). By reading it, you can see that canonical URLs are in no way applicable to my single-page website. In addition, "categories" are already in use (did you visit the website?) and suggesting a more user friendly interface is great, but an example of how to improve it would help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks really good I like the simplicity of your site. Well done Connor