Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Portfolio Site

Hello all!

I recently redid my personal site for the twentieth time - I'm just not good at making my own websites! Best viewed in Firefox or Chrome. Fancy parallax effects (hand-coded) are not available in IE because it was being fussy. I may look at that again if I ever have time. Note that on the "my work" area, it's only the items which were on my old site. I have several more rows to add, so that will be longer and scroll-able. Anyhow, here is it, please post your thoughts! Link: http://connorpeet.com

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty nice, Conor.

The top of the page doesn't make it clear what you do, so it might be worth considering a clear statement about web design or something. E.g.
    Hello. My name is Connor. I build websites."
    If ind the parallax effect a little troublesome. For example, it's a little hard to center on something like the What I Do section without losing some of it at the bottom, as the next bit runs over the top of it. Not so good for those with co-ordination probs.

You don't say anywhere that I can see where you are located, so I'm guessing you're in the US—the self-appointed center of the world. It's a good idea to say where you are based, all the same.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --"Best viewed in Firefox or Chrome" Maybe you should put something on the footer like "best viewed in Firefox and Chrome"
    --"I have several more rows to add, so that will be longer and scroll-able"-- Not so user-friendly idea I guess
    --Overall design is cool
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the way works are organized under the "porfolio" tag, but then i scrolled mouse wheel and was like "wut.."
    I would just leave "portfolio" as home page and put testimonials underneath.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, and thank for all your feedback

The top of the page doesn't make it clear what you do, so it might be worth considering a clear statement about web design or something. E.g.
    I'll definitely do that

For example, it's a little hard to center on something like the What I Do section without losing some of it at the bottom, as the next bit runs over the top of it.
    I'll look at this. I build the site on a 1920x1080 monitor, and I see when it is view on a 768 monitor (like a laptop) it's a bit too long.

You don't say anywhere that I can see where you are located, so I'm guessing you're in the US—the self-appointed center of the world.
    Actually, it Italy

---

I liked the way works are organized under the "porfolio" tag, but then i scrolled mouse wheel and was like "wut.."
    I would just leave "portfolio" as home page and put testimonials underneath.
    So, take out or move the About Me section?

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connor4312 View Post
    Actually, it Italy
    Ha ha, be darned. That explains the background of your mug shot, then. It would be good to say so, IMHO. So why is your site in English? What would Italians make of that? Is that common?
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the idea and layout of your site. The only thing that I don't like are fonts. Not all of them only those: "What Do I Do?" and "Recent Work". I like that little zoom out affect on portfolio. Look great!

About "Testimonials" - I'm not sure that you need them at all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi connor,

Your site look creative and nice. It's full meaning of portfolio website . But i still need some navbars on two sides if I want to visit your website again.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Connor,
    Your site is pretty slick, I quite like it! I think the services could be filled out a bit more and could sell what you do a bit more. For me, some online non-standard fonts look a bit jagged when made as large as they are on your titles. I know this depends on the browser (I'm in firefox), and for some this may not be an issue, but it always slightly bugs me (I'm still a fan of nice anti-aliased fonts rendered as images -- slower to load and not as good for seo/accessibilty, but they do still look nicer!). Pretty cool site though, makes me want to redo mine -- but that's definitely something I have to stay away from!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of blank spaces. You need to reduce this so that your website looks well organized.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback!

@erdmask: I'm not exactly sure what you mean - the fonts used on those two areas (Flamenco and Droid Sans) are the same used almost everywhere else.

@seo: Erhm, what do you mean by two navbars on the side? There's already one up top...

@voidjuming: Thanks I'll look at using cufon for the large fonts then to smooth them out. Yeah, I must've redid mine at least twenty times.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I think your site has been well designed in terms of quality but you might want to consider putting your portfolio or at least a sample of your portfolios on your homepage. It is the first thing people see and you should be proud of the designs and websites that you have designed. Also, the superlative like quotes you have on the front page are great if you were selling yourself as a superhero. You may want to tone it down slightly even if you are the best web designer in the world they seem conceited and at times make it seem as though you are trying to talk yourself up even if they are genuine recommendations from your clients. I mean, I think your work is really good so it is great to have confidence but at the same time it is all about perception and assuming you want to gain more work/contacts through your website it would be much more professional if you made claims such as "timely work", "quality work with great flexibility" or "easy to work with and delivered with assurance of quality". Not saying you have to fabricate the claims but maybe start with toning down the recommendations that sound rather too unrealistic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by getupreadup View Post
    Hi, I think your site has been well designed in terms of quality but you might want to consider putting your portfolio or at least a sample of your portfolios on your homepage. It is the first thing people see and you should be proud of the designs and websites that you have designed. Also, the superlative like quotes you have on the front page are great if you were selling yourself as a superhero. You may want to tone it down slightly even if you are the best web designer in the world they seem conceited and at times make it seem as though you are trying to talk yourself up even if they are genuine recommendations from your clients. I mean, I think your work is really good so it is great to have confidence but at the same time it is all about perception and assuming you want to gain more work/contacts through your website it would be much more professional if you made claims such as "timely work", "quality work with great flexibility" or "easy to work with and delivered with assurance of quality". Not saying you have to fabricate the claims but maybe start with toning down the recommendations that sound rather too unrealistic.
    Ok, I currently have the little three-screen website display - I'll consider adding more and/or changing the layout a bit.

For testimonials, I'm not really sure I like the idea of making them, for lack of a better word, worse. I'm selling myself as a product, and it seems counterproductive to remove the best product reviews! I do see what you mean though about the ones in the bar - I'll switch these out. However, I don't want to change the main testimonial area. These are real testimonials that clients have given after the completion of my first job for them. Maybe get a little profile image from clients who are willing and put it beside the quote, to show that they are actually real?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your CSS3 skills are great! I'm interested in your design and it's very clean, modern and nice.
    The only thing that i felt it's not good enough, is the Contact section. The blue "Email me"/"Skype" is not clear and it's a little confusing.

Good job!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty nice site, good job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For testing purpose I've sent one mail to you but form was not working properly. Showed some error.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Connor,

I really like the look of your site, great job. The one thing that stands out to me though is that the there are ton of different fonts and sizes going on. The home landing page (without scrolling) for example, has fairly small text the navigation but then quote text beneath 'miraculous' etc is a lot larger. The other thing I think looks slightly out of place is the colour difference between the 'shall we talk' text above your contact from and the colour of the button in the contact from.

Other than that, I really like the feel of the site and its well made - clean and professional. I particularly like the portfolio section and love the way the various projects are set out, its very refreshing. I also like the testimonial section, so much better than looking at the standard testimonial pages which are so dated and bland.

Well Done on a great site!

Thinkdan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful site!! I absolutely love it.

The round css effects on the bottom are a great touch.

Now stop rebuilding your site and get you there and start building sites for other people! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, interesting. I like it. I think you should add a blog. Will help you to attract visitors and backlinks. OHH, the fact that you change it a lot, means that you are perfectionist(for me) , I have the same problem. I am trying the last 7 months to build mine. I finish recently...before few days. Site is nice, but is search engine friendly? What code you use?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the valuable feedback everyone! This coming weekend I'm free, so I'll be adding your suggestions/changes! Yes, @thinkdan, I'm planning to mostly rework the bottom contact area anyway to include some additional information etc.

@nikelecy: I've definitely considered adding a blog - not sure if I'll have time to actually add stuff on there, though! We'll see. The site is as SEO-friendly as single page sites can really get, I think. All headings, links, images, and so on are proper. Do you mean what code editor do I use? I use Sublime Text 2 (by far the best code editor in my book) with a LESS compiler. That plus Photoshop is all I use for most sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking portfolio! Definitely is unique.

I did some testing using Chrome with several different screen resolutions and to my surprise, it all adjusts and fits just right.

On the About Me page, the icons underneath the photo are a bit unclear to me - blend in a little too much and I'm not really sure why they're there in the first place? At first I thought the Skype icon was there in case I (as a potential client) wanted to get in touch but clearly that's not the case? If you wish to showcase the tools you use I'd recommend laying it out in a simple, linear form.

Great testimonials page, I really do like the layout here.

As far as the contact page, this may be a biased opinion but personally I think it doesn't work well with the rest of your site. The colors, the layout is a bit old - 2004ish. I would also suggest adding the header links to your footer. Works well with SEO and some users will appreciate it too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest to use categories, canonical url and more user friendly interface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, I love the parallax effects that are coming out latest. Also nice how as you move between sections the nav keeps up with where you are, a lot of sites tend to leave that out.
    Perhaps a bug, but the Send Now button at the bottom of the contact form got chopped off the first few times I loaded the page. ?
    Statvoo.com The Website Traffic Monitor
    The best way to monitor traffic to your sites for free!

Web Development London UK We make web 3.0 applications

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your valuable feedback!

@smfre: Yeah, that's a big I noticed which I plan to fix this weekend.
    @Unknown: I had made the contact area when the site was a big different. I'm going to be redoing entirely this weekend.

I do want to mention one thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by seoptimistic View Post
    I suggest to use categories, canonical url and more user friendly interface.
    Please, don't include SEO in your username unless you have any idea what it is. Here's a link to a beginners guide on SEO (canonical is about halfway down). By reading it, you can see that canonical URLs are in no way applicable to my single-page website. In addition, "categories" are already in use (did you visit the website?) and suggesting a more user friendly interface is great, but an example of how to improve it would help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connor4312 View Post
    Please, don't include SEO in your username unless you have any idea what it is. Here's a link to a beginners guide on SEO (canonical is about halfway down). By reading it, you can see that canonical URLs are in no way applicable to my single-page website. In addition, "categories" are already in use (did you visit the website?) and suggesting a more user friendly interface is great, but an example of how to improve it would help.
    lol!
    Statvoo.com The Website Traffic Monitor
    The best way to monitor traffic to your sites for free!

Web Development London UK We make web 3.0 applications