SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How long does it take you to design a homepage?

Hi to all of my fellow web designers, I'm glad I found a forum for web designers. First of all, I graduated with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and don't have any background regarding with designs at all. It is just that I envy those designers who designs amazing, cool, and jaw-dropping web designs that's why I decided to become a web designer and been working as a web designer for over 8 months now.

Im just wondering how long does it take you guys to design a homepage? Honestly, it takes me 4 to 6 hours to design one, but still having a hard time to design beautiful web designs and sometimes I feel down when Im just staring in my monitor screen and nothing is coming into my mind. I just can't give up with my career as it really became my passion. And maybe you guys could me some helpful tips? I'd be grateful for your help.

Thanks,
    Vhin Manansala

SitePoint Member chillingbreeze's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vhin,

looks like you need to work more on concept building rather than designing. Time depends upon the concept and it may take 3 hours to 2 days to get the final stunning design. More practical, simpler and minimal design you make, more in demand you get. I personally love following Peep Laja at ConversionXL.com blog for his great help. Sixrevisions offer great articles on designs and inspirations too.

Hope this helps you too.

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vhin;
    Every page is different, and usually the purpose of the page will determine it's design and overall appearance. This is why website templates have the same cookie-cutter look. Without having a specific client, there is no way to design an individualistic page.
    When I build a page for a client, the homepage design takes about 30 minutes. Coding and linking might take another hour or so. All the subpages flow from that design.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vhinmanansala View Post
    Im just wondering how long does it take you guys to design a homepage?
    Are you asking about a design mock-up (ie, creating it in photoshop), or coding it?
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello buddy don't get disturbed for this.My thought is you need some more experience in this field.Nothing can be learn easily.As Chilling Breeze says you should work more on concept.Once your familiar with it you can build any website easily and quickly.

SitePoint Member nguyentruongto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he asked a design -up on photoshop.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Kind of as imillard said, the way to get past "design block" (to coin a term, perhaps) is to forget about the look of the site first and look at the content—that is, what the site needs to say. Study this content and work out how that content would best be organized, such that visitors can easily understand what the site is about and where everything is. If you work from this perpective, you will establish a basic layout of elements and a wireframe—and from that point, it's not hard to dress it up a bit to look nice.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home page design is most important task for any website because it is the main page or the Face of the website. Home page designing duration depends on your project and business need which will take minimum 4 hours and maximum 2 days or more. The home page is the first interactive page with the user which will create an impression in the users' mind about your business service and reputation. Hence, it is necessary to create a user interface home page design which looks good and simple to read the business goals and vision .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello guys, thanks for all your replies. Been busy this whole week and barely have time to visit the thread I started. I'm good with organizing the web content however, coming up with a good concept for the design is where I'm having a difficulties sometimes. How do you guys think of a concept with your designs?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imillard View Post
    Vhin;
    Every page is different, and usually the purpose of the page will determine it's design and overall appearance. This is why website templates have the same cookie-cutter look. Without having a specific client, there is no way to design an individualistic page.
    When I build a page for a client, the homepage design takes about 30 minutes. Coding and linking might take another hour or so. All the subpages flow from that design.
    Hi imillard, you're right. having a client without specific needs is really a pain especially when having revisions in the design. I had a design project recently which design took 11 revisions

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vhin;
    There is one 'secret' that designers seldom talk about. As far as the client is concerned, you are THE expert. When you choose a layout, color set and overall graphic impression - that should be it. Done. You have made your decision, and the client goes with it. They will have input on text content - mostly for legal reasons - but you are the marketing expert.

You have looked at their product line and market position, and determined that your design will best speak to the potential customer. Yes, you are an outsider to the company, and that's precisely the point. You can stand back and make an objective evaluation. Nobody knows better than you. Not the executive vice-president, not some opinionated salesman, and certainly not the owners wife... who really wanted a green background, and move that text box down there, and use this photo because her cousin took it, and...... Don't fall into that trap. As soon as you let that one little change in the door, you'll spend all your time chasing another persons flawed vision.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive. The client should have the final say, but that doesn't work. Go in to the next project with utter confidence. Make your position and expertise clear from the beginning, and hold your ground. Your life will be easier and the client will get better results from the page.

Examples:
    Here is a page designed by the client's wife: Deers Leap It's pretty bad, and does nothing to showcase the product - a rental cottage
    Here is a page, designed by a business, for business: Paraflex Straightforward, effective and representative of the product.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imillard View Post
    Don't fall into that trap. As soon as you let that one little change in the door, you'll spend all your time chasing another persons flawed vision.
    Hi imillard, are you referring the revisions with this line above? correct me if im wrong.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revisions can mean many things, depending on your experience.
    I do not count text additions, corrections, product changes and other 'regular maintenance' as revisions.
    To me, a revision is change of colors, moving sections around, redesigning the header, button bar or graphic content.

Once the client sees the page in operation they will often want to make additions and text changes, and that's understandable. But when I show them the page mockup, such as Larry Hall the finished page will change little - if at all.

I do recommend that clients are prepared to change or substantially alter the page headers at least once a year, so repeat visitors will have additional reason to look around. Of course, that depends on the product or service.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think average is 1-3 days although i dont work 8 hours a day most of the time and half of the time will be used on inspiration and research rather than photoshop.

If nothing comes into your head i suggest visiting behance.net for example. BUT be warned, a lot of the stuff there are promotional web sites and designes that werent approved by the client xD Even though it looks beautiful dont take it as example but rather try to find little something that might work for your project and adopt it partially if needed. Sometimes watching on other designs is the only way to get yourself going, especially if you are working under heavy load.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    i think average is 1-3 days although i dont work 8 hours a day most of the time and half of the time will be used on inspiration and research rather than photoshop.

If nothing comes into your head i suggest visiting behance.net for example. BUT be warned, a lot of the stuff there are promotional web sites and designes that werent approved by the client xD Even though it looks beautiful dont take it as example but rather try to find little something that might work for your project and adopt it partially if needed. Sometimes watching on other designs is the only way to get yourself going, especially if you are working under heavy load.
    thanks lieto. I always thought designing homepage mock up with a concept should be done within 2 hours XD

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont mean concept i mean finished design ready to be cut if approved with details etc

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my course at the minute we are learning about all of the stages of design... user centered design.. sketching, brainstorming/spider diagrams, wireframing, grid systems... i used to be the same and open photoshop and look at a blank canvas and think "where do i start" but if you follow the proper procedure from start to finish there should never be a "blank canvas".. you will start laying out wireframes after considering content and user centered design, and then build up and up on the aesthetic quality of whats in front of you as the site evolves rather than just starting in photoshop and hoping to knock out a masterpiece

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time is not any big issue my buddy. Because time depends on concept and which type of design we have to create. Sometimes it takes 2-3 days for designing a single page. Dn't demoralize yourself that you take so much time. Make your mind creative and concentrate , you will surely became a mastermind in this field. All the best.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if I design in Photoshop, it takes me 5 hours to complete a nice design.
    Professional logo designing service take a look at My portfolio

Blogger from make money blogging
    Christian works from home

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first u gone through many webdesigns...and plan it what will come in home page,, then collect pictures relavant to that..and design it with quickly 1 or 2 hr...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For getting an idea and basic layout of a homepage design, it takes me about twenty to thirty minutes, which I sketch on paper (faster). Actually designing it in Photoshop takes a bit longer - I'd say about three hours, though it can take more depending on how graphically intensive it is; I roll my own graphics. Sometimes, if I need some photographs or textures, I take my camera and walk around town. (While passersby stare at the crazy dude studiously taking a picture of a brick wall). So it really depends on the site.

If I have the time, I also find it good to create the main subpages in Photoshop prior to picking up the code editor. This tend to create a much more unique, creative website.

Turning the design into code can take anywhere from one hour to six hours, depending mainly on how much Js magic is going on and if I make it responsive or not.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes me min 5 hours to design a homepage. That's where inspiration comes in. If I have the whole idea of design in my head, it can be even less than 5 hrs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried to give it a bit longer than few hours? cause i am pretty sure good stuff cant be made in few hours from scratch.
    At some point i thought that i can make a web site in 2 hours but than i turned back and realized that its sht and worse then standard word press themes.
    So if you are starting i d suggest you go through design over and over, adding details and implementing more interesting solutions.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well home or index page is the gateway to other web pages in a site.The home page should be highly attractive as the first page from user point of view.Attractive home page creates a good impression in the user.So you can spend more time in designing home page being the main highlight.You should also include attractive web animations for banners in the home page.According to my opinion 3 Hours is a reasonable time for designing a home page.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unni6849 View Post
    Well home or index page is the gateway to other web pages in a site.The home page should be highly attractive as the first page from user point of view.
    Sorry, but that's not true. A web site is not like a book, where people start at the first page and read through to the last page. Visitors may arrive at your site on any page, depending on the link they followed, the search terms they entered, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by unni6849 View Post
    You should also include attractive web animations for banners in the home page.
    Why? If you're going to offer opinions as advice, then please explain your reasoning. Animations can cause serious usability issues for some visitors, and need to be done carefully and considerately. In particular, they need a mechanism by which they can be easily disabled (or better still, to be static unless the visitor chooses to activate them).