SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creative Challenges Website Review

I'm interested in impressions and feedback about my second site, www.youcancreate.org.

For each individual daily challenge, I'm planning to add a photograph, but I haven't taken them yet. I know the content isn't for everyone, but I'm interested in whether the process is clear, and if there is anything I could do to make people more likely to participate.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
    www.conversationpieceslearning.org
    Enrichment Ideas and Activities for Teachers and Students
    www.youcancreate.org
    Daily Creative Challenges for People Like You

SitePoint Member ExploreMySchool's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website looks nice and clean in design, will explore it further.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have my congrats on the design! It's very unique and attractive, it definitely made me curious about your project. :-) The domain name, youcancreate.org is also very catchy.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be reviewing http://www.youcancreate.org/creative-challenges.html since it has a healthy amount of content on it (some more on the home page wouldn't hurt).

• Put more... stuff, on the homepage. It's rather boring at the moment.
    • The overall color and design is appealing.
    • The header ("People Like You") has some good potential but seems a bit plain.
    • Round the corners on the navigation bar.
    • I would also adjust its colors to fit in more with the watercolor.
    • I love your #banner, but the shadow under the picture could be a little more subtle.
    • A (very) slight white text shadow may look nice for the title text, for on page like http://www.youcancreate.org/faq.html where the title is backed by purple.
    • The title on the FAQ page is very attractive, but it isn't used on the other pages! I would use it consistently throughout the site.
    • Nice content area, but there's an alignment issue on three of the lis http://puu.sh/15MAr
    • Put some images in the content area, it would make it look better.
    • Add some text in the footer!
    • ---
    • YSlow gives your site an overall good grade (imho the components should be weighted), but there are a couple of things you can fix up pretty easily (see below)

15MCt.png

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    My first impression is that the home page needs some more introduction—say a video showing how it all works—or at least a clear call to action. After reading the home page text, I still don't really know how the site works or who it's for, and am not quite sure what to do next. The buttons bottom right need some kind of explanation.

It might be nice to have a row of boxes under the intro with headings like "Examples of How this Works" etc.

Remember, your first time visitors are a basically a blank sheet, with no concept of what the site is for or how it works. So the more you can put them in the picture and takes them by the hand, the better.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your comments.

I must say that I can't take credit for the design, since I used a template. My other site uses a template, too, but I tweaked and mucked about with it pretty extensively. For this one, I'm just staying pretty close to the established layout. I was curious if anyone thinks it's too feminine? I'm hoping it isn't. Although I am more likely to have women participating, I want to include men, too.

In an effort to put more "stuff" on the home page, as per Connor's suggestion, I added some related clipart, and I didn't like how it looked, so I re-sized them and thought, hey, these look like links, and then three new pages were born. They are almost certainly not going to live there permanently.

Thank you, Ralph, for suggesting I put the steps on the home page. I will experiment with some simple explanations and leave the detailed versions to the overview and faq pages.

Thanks again for the feedback!
    www.youcancreate.org

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added some steps to the home page, as per Ralph's suggestion. Do those steps help clarify the process in a manageable way?

Eventually, I think the home page is going to need some amazing photographs, but I don't yet know what those will be or how I will organize them. I'm tentatively thinking about finding some collage-making program and trying to save that as one image and using that.

I also added the blog and published my first creative profile today. I'm pretty excited about that feature!

I don't want to get too crazy adding extras (as is my evident tendency, given my other site), so I want to be sure the process is fun and manageable, without being overly complicated. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make the site more enticing or user-friendly.

Also, I meant to add that I am planning to take a closer look at those YSlow recommendations--thank you for that tool, Connor.
    www.youcancreate.org

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I like the call to action on the home page. That's a nice improvement.

Step three says:

Revel in your creative brilliance
    It would be nice to know how, though. What happens after I submit the form? It's not clear how the site works, or what happens to what I submit. I think that needs to be clarified a lot, to help people feel like this is worth getting involved in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could add social sharing bottons like Facebook, Twitter at the bottom part then it is highly appreciable. Bottom part is showing blank.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks--good advice. I clarified Step 3 on the home page and added FB and Twitter buttons.
    www.youcancreate.org

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout looks great. I would make the super secret fun pages icons larger and add borders around them. From the technical point of view there are few small quirks:

1. There are some font tags which are consider deprecated in HTML5
    2. The website uses nested HTML tables which is not optimal (why not to use nested html tables for layout)
    3. Add a favicon

Hope this help.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice website but the Footer looks quite empty you should put something fascination on the bottom of the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J in Calgary View Post
    Thanks--good advice. I clarified Step 3 on the home page and added FB and Twitter buttons.
    Really one of good move indeed. You will get additional benefit after adding this.