User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, I type like a blonde

hi,

I can't type! I mean I can handle 50-60 words a minute. How do I learn to type like a programmer? I have to admit, I find rapid typing pretty darn sexy. So do you take a typing class? What? I need to lear fast.

cheers,
    jen

p.s, I'm a brunette

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...not sure if this is the correct forum for your topic, but anyway

I think most Programmers don't really type like the typical secretary. One of the main reasons that come to my mind is simply because the letters written when programming differ a lot from what you would usually type into a letter.
    Signs like [] \\ / & $ "" = are not used that often in a letter, whereas when programming you use them all the time.

I think most programmers use there own kinda typing. I am using my own three finger system, which i have developed to the max. I can type really fast (of course not to be compared to someone who took a type course and has worked in the office for ten years or so). Also, when programming, you don't really type that much at once.

But, i also think it is nice if you can type like a secretary. I tried to learn it, but my problem is i have teached myself typing the wrong way (and i type like this since the C64). Hence it is really a struggle to try and learn to type the correct way... but if you have the chance to learn it without too much of a hassle, go for it

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Moved to a more appropriate forum. But yeah, I'm going to watch this thread with great interest...lol
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: ok, I type like a blonde

Originally posted by JennySpade
    hi,

I can't type! I mean I can handle 50-60 words a minute. How do I learn to type like a programmer? I have to admit, I find rapid typing pretty darn sexy. So do you take a typing class? What? I need to lear fast.

cheers,
    jen

p.s, I'm a brunette
    Typing like a programmer involves keys not normally used by "quick typists". To type like a programmer would mean getting good at typing something like "(^/\d{5,15}\s\wa-zA-z\b/)" really fast, while a "quick typist" would just try "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" many many many times. Your speed will improve with practice; it won't be a quick thing but you will find yourself typing faster and faster the more you're just sitting here on a computer. Typing courses aren't necessary; as a matter of fact, when I took a typing course in high school (required, bleh) I was typing faster than the teacher with no formal typing experience -- it was just from playing on the 'net, typing papers, and writing IMs to people for a little while each day.

--Vinnie

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(I want back) [] \\ / & $!

Datune,

thanks or the advice, but "careers and education?!!!!" come on... I want back in the php lounge!!!!!

I'm mostly interested in typing accurately without looking down. I have a couple of friends still in highschool, and they type like seasoned secretaries. I don't get it...

jen

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: (I want back) [] \\ / & $!

Originally posted by JennySpade
    Datune,

thanks or the advice, but "careers and education?!!!!" come on... I want back in the php lounge!!!!!

I'm mostly interested in typing accurately without looking down. I have a couple of friends still in highschool, and they type like seasoned secretaries. I don't get it...

jen
    Hey Jen,

Actually I moved your post. I can move your thread elsewhere if you like but I can't see any reason for it to be in PHP and it does seem to be more of a career-oriented topic.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Re: (I want back) [] \\ / & $!

Originally posted by Sketch
    Hey Jen,

Actually I moved your post. I can move your thread elsewhere if you like but I can't see any reason for it to be in PHP and it does seem to be more of a career-oriented topic.

Aaron
    I would have done the same Sketch! Jenny asked about where to learn how to type fast, which screams "Careers and Education". It's either here or in "Just Starting".

I also like the careers forum. It's a shame more people don't post in here.

--Vinnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that the speed of typing matters much when programming.
    If what limits the speed you create code is the speed you type, then you are either a very good programmer or you are looking at the keyboard for 3 minutes trying to find the spacebar. This is of course in the case you create new code. Otherwise just use copy & paste.

I can type about 30 words per minute, and although this is slow when typing essays, i think it is good enough for programming.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To some degree I'd agree. I think "keyboard familiarity" is your biggest fried. Being able to CTRL + Z, CTRL + Y, copy, paste, know how to get around your program, know the shortcuts, etc.

Honestly, if someone can type 30wpm, and knows the shortcuts to the program they are using, they will be as fast as someone who types 120wpm and doesn't use the shortcuts.

So, familiarity is probably far more important than anything. Besides, I cant' type that example Arkham posted mainly because I don't do RegExp's, but I can certainly type out a .NET or ASP procedure, class or whatever and I'm sure the PHP guys would say the same.

Typing "like a programmer" is more about familiarity of your application and the language you are using than anything, imho
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for languages beyond simple html and javascript (unless you are a die hard notepadder) you would be using some form of editor if only for the syntax highlighting.

pretty swiftly you would notice that (as jw says) your speed is dependent upon knowledge of the editor rather than your tap-tap-tap rate. Not many typing schools teach auto-inserting of highlighted function names or quick stepping out from the created brace-pairs.

plus, programming requires a tad more thought than simply typing the sentences that bounce around within your head.

PS - php welcomes brunette Jennys
    teckis - that's news to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by pootergeist

PS - php welcomes brunette Jennys
    I think brunette Jennys are welcome everywhere you wanna be (to steal a quote from Visa)

--Vinnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only real way to get better is practice....

I don't really know how fast I am, but im the fastest kid in the computer club at my school (and president ;P ) But, im willing to bet im the fastest in the school..

Then I get to programming, hardly ever do I set down and go 70+ WPM, im usually thinking about other things, and only write a function or so at a time, and test, and continue, so programmers really don't type all that fast
    Eric Coleman
    We're consentratin' on fallin' apart
    We were contenders, now throwin' the fight
    I just wanna believe, I just wanna believe in us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are software programs intended to improve your typing efficiency and technique, but they are mostly cheesy, I admit. I am glad my school offers a word processing class because it is such an important tool students need in the workplace. But if you don't have that luxury of a class being available, just keep using the computer and you will improve. Everyone has a slightly different typing style ... I can type almost 100 wpm and I don't really type with my pinkies at all. Hardcore programmers can type so well because they spend all their lives on computers, so you could always follow that path.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use Dvorak

This is a sensitive topic. I argued with many people about typing. As you see I am one of those fast/slow typist. My average typing speed is about 83 WPM with US-Dvorak keyboard layout. I type like drunkard (20WPM) on QWERTY keyboard.

Normal keyboard follows the QWERTY layout with was invented back in manual typewriter age. The main intention of this layout is to slow down the fast typists. As you see manual typewriters use ribbon and mechanical 'fingers' and usually the typists jamned 2 or 3 'fingers' together. So QWERTY keyboard layout was invented. This is so wrong

Dvorak (a US citizen , I think so ) create a new keyboard layout . It grouped commonly used keys together. In English language the most common keys are the vowel sounds (AEIOU). They are group in one side and according to frequency the letters occur in English language at that time. In Malaysian language (AEIOU) occurs more frequently than English language. So you can type with one hand. Many wrist injuries(RSI) can be prevented as there are less movements to type same amount of text. Good technology.

In Windows, you can change your keyboard layout to US-Dvorak by Control Panel -> Keyboard -> Language -> Properties. And yep, it had 3 major settings. General, Left hand and right hand so it is customized to the user requirements. Most clerk can use NUMPAD well . Why? Because the keys are group together. Dvorak keyboard follows the same approach. Most improvement in typing speed came from left hand people as current QWERTY keyboard caters for right-hand people and group common letters together.

So I encourage everyone here to use Dvorak layout. For my case, I had no problem in using Dvorak. The only disadvantage is you cannot looked at keyboard. I ripped out and align my keyboard keys each time I bought a new one. Do you has Dvorak layout keyboard in US ? Sell to me. Dvorak cool .QWERTY sucks.(1800's technology)

Computer industry took the wrong turn to use QWERTY layout what a costly mistake. Tell those who permanently damage their wrists(RSI) about Dvorak layout. It is a shame to high-tech civilizations.

Google -- search for Dvorak keyboard