SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking What do you like between Laptop & desktop?

There has various opportunities for a laptop or a desktop but everybody does not choose both above. My first choice is desktop. What is your first choice?

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Absolutely a Laptop.
    If you can afford it the macbook pro has consistently been the best laptop you can buy for the last 4-5 years.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Why do you prefer desktop? And do you use a desktop, or do circumstances impose to use a laptop?

Please answer these questions to give the thread some chance of becoming interesting. If it turns into a list of laptop/desktop answers it's going to be closed real soon.

Me, I don't have a preference. I use a laptop, because I don't work always in the same office. I prefer a "desktop" keyboard and screen, though, but that's easily solved when I'm in the office: I just plug the laptop in a docking station.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I have a Desktop & also a Hp laptop. I know there are many opportunity to use a laptop But if you want to change the configuration of a Desktop probably it is so easy. So my first choice is Desktop although I have a laptop.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to use a desktop, I like to use my hands as they were intended and like Guido mentioned typically they have better screens and full sized input devices, etc. Usually they also are more easily customisable.

I dislike laptops so have a Netbook instead, which is far more portable and useful to how I work if having to be on the move. Given the choice I would choose the Desktop to work on in nearly all cases though obviously you cannot lug desktops around in your hand without it getting tired.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to use a desktop. I can worked fast on desktop than laptop. Though Laptop is easy to carry anywhere.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I prefer to use a desktop with a multi-monitor setup, but I also have a 13" notebook.

A good question to ask would be: how do you like to work? In one designated place, or are you moving around a lot where a laptop would be necessary?
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my desk top with my 22 inch screen and both a wireless mouse and keyboard.

I've never felt comfortable typing on a laptop.

Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Flow View Post
    I prefer to use a desktop with a multi-monitor setup, but I also have a 13" notebook.

A good question to ask would be: how do you like to work? In one designated place, or are you moving around a lot where a laptop would be necessary?
    Very close to my setup too. I prefer a desktop, simply because I like having a multi-monitor setup (plus I hate most of the keyboard layouts on laptops). Instead of a notebook, I actually use a 7" tablet (works for most of what I would utilize a laptop for).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like laptop.It's my first choice.It's easy to carry and I can use it even inside my car.At home,I'm using a desktop.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of computing power there isn't much real difference between laptops and desktops, apart from possibly laptops not using I7 processors. Laptops can easily be used as a desktop replacement with the use of an external monitor and mouse and keyboard (I personally hate using them mouse pads that all laptops have). The only thing that laptops may struggle with are high end games like GTA4 and Skyrim. If you're only looking for surfing the net and sending emails on the move then a laptop would probably be overkill and many could get away with a netbook.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ofcourse Laptop

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer desktop because it is better for me !

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    In terms of computing power there isn't much real difference between laptops and desktops, apart from possibly laptops not using I7 processors. Laptops can easily be used as a desktop replacement with the use of an external monitor and mouse and keyboard (I personally hate using them mouse pads that all laptops have). The only thing that laptops may struggle with are high end games like GTA4 and Skyrim. If you're only looking for surfing the net and sending emails on the move then a laptop would probably be overkill and many could get away with a netbook.
    You can easily use an i3 for web development, and possibly bump that up to an i5 if you work with photoshop and multimedia with some frequency. An i7 is really only necessary if you're doing a lot of 3D rendering or video production and conversion.

If you don't have a personal preference between laptop or desktop, then the question comes down to price--for the same specs with high-quality hardware, which is more cost efficient? Also keep in mind that your ability to upgrade a laptop is somewhat limited, while a desktop is usually easier to upgrade. Generally, I can get 10 years out of a desktop with periodic hardware upgrades, while I struggle to get 5 years out of a laptop before performance becomes a serious issue.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will still prefer Laptop. Not only because of portability but also the durability of today's laptop.

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Desktop. Massive dual screen setup, more accurate colour reproduction (very few laptops including the MBP I have, have IPS quality screens), more accurate and quicker input via mouse and full keyboard. Also, far better speed and price to performance ratio for heavy work like video rendering. I've no idea how anybody can work productively and quickly on a tiny single screen of a laptop. I enjoy using my MBP, it's a nice bit of kit, but when I really need to get-stuff-done it's not an option.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always like laptop because it is easy to take away from one place to another.It is also easy to use than desktop.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For the work I do, Web Design/Development, I am happy with my Macbook Pro. I prefer laptops for so many reasons - it is portable, it is clutter free (extra keyboard etc...) I love minimalist work space. I CANNOT wait for the day that I can get rid of my clunky desktop and cables and power strips.

I can see for other work like 3D and video that a desktop would work great - yet in the Mac family though.

SitePoint Member ExploreMySchool's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will go laptop....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My laptop connected into my 22" monitor works great for me. The laptop is powerful for everything I need it to do, and my files are with me wherever I am. I used to have a desktop and I would have to sync my files between the two...kind of a pain.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first preference is Laptop.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I preferred desktop.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like desktop and laptop both.but laptop is best for carrying and desktop is best for official working.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    apart from possibly laptops not using I7 processors
    They do and I have one. There are gaming laptops with high end graphic cards as well but they tend do be pretty clunky. The one I have is somewhere in the middle and while you won't max out the graphics on GTA4 or Skyrim, they run flawlessly on decent settings. So does my desktop, as a matter of fact, so there's literally no difference in computing power.

That's why I use a laptop most of the time. In fact, I left my desktop behind at my parents when I moved - no point in cluttering up space with a thing that won't do anything more than a portable laptop does.

Of course, when it comes to gaming there is so much mileage you can squeeze out of a laptop. New games ramp up requirements on graphic cards pretty fast and the graphic card is one of many things you won't upgrade in a laptop. So for serious gaming a desktop is pretty much a must.

I used to use a netbook for traveling too but I've changed that to a Galaxy Note which takes far less space (obviously, it's a phone) and yet I can still do everything I would do on a netbook when traveling, sometimes more, like using gps.
    Saul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up For me the best is laptop ..

Quote Originally Posted by farhana91 View Post
    There has various opportunities for a laptop or a desktop but everybody does not choose both above. My first choice is desktop. What is your first choice?
    Best for me is laptop :-) Only the reason is that I can carry it wherever I go ..

<snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Sep 17, 2012 at 05:39. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature