SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone,

I read a book about a month ago called "The Atheist Syndrome"...it basically talks about the life and childhood of many of what would be considered some of the major promoters of sorts of atheism...Charles Darwin, Friedrich Nitschze (sp?), Howard (or is it Henry? I forget) Huxley, and Sigmund Freud.

Please do not take this as a generalization, but take it for what it is; an interesting fact. All four of these people had what could easily be called "unhealthy" childhoods...all problems with their fathers. They also suffered from a terrible decline of mental (and sometime otherwise) health later in their life.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees a link between them hating their father...as we know Jesus is supposedly our ultimate father. In Darwin's case it was quite direct; his father went to extremes to punish him physically...usually telling him that it was in the name of God...

All of them also wrote that they felt better during times in their life where they were away from their father and/or family. In addition, 3 (might be all 4, I don't recall perfectly) of them reported feeling fantastic when writing anti-religious documents...

I will concede that the author of this book goes "fishing" a little much...a couple times looking for pyschological links that I do not think exist...but overall I don't think we can deny that these links betwen these people definetly mean something.

All in all I'm simply mentioning this as an interesting link between 4 very famous people...more than a coincidence I think. I am not trying to start a heated debate.

I do hope, however, to have an enlightening conversation on the subject.

[Edited by TWTCommish on 09-07-2000 at 04:45 PM]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't think we need to have three religious threads going on in a webmaster forum do we?

Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe in darwin, and now its a fact, not a theory, they messured evolution on a small island, where bird beeks wary from dry or wet seasons.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Birds with varying beaks do not prove his evolutinary theory. Ironically, Darwin's theory was not his own anyway.

Peter - we do not NEED them, and yes, these are webmaster forums, but as has been mentioned before, these are the GENERAL Forums. As long as things remain civil it should be alright.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Peter Hibbit
    I really don't think we need to have three religious threads going on in a webmaster forum do we?

I actually agree. I find some of these threads to be quite wearisome. They stir up a tremendous amount of agitation amongst participants.

If it is important, then discuss it. But remember, there are many of us here at the forums, and we are all exposed to whatever is contributed here. I suspect there are forums on the web devoted exclusively to topics such as these.

Just my opinion

Take Care,

Adam

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think newsgroups are best for this stuff really.

Alt.origins for example would be good for this one.

Incidentally Adam I signed up for the daily thought from your site. It's a nice way to start the day and I'd recommend everyone signing up...

Peter
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody is forcing anyone to read or reply to posts like this.